“Not a bad hotel, but a bad experience”

Hilton Phoenix Suites
Ranked #31 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
Fort Lauderdale, Florida, USA
“Not a bad hotel, but a bad experience”
Reviewed August 4, 2012

So everything went wrong on this stay. To set the scene, I had just driven 10 hours from LA and was tired with a late arrival and early start for business meetings with a prospective client. The parking arrangement - which is expensive given the location of the hotel - is not ideal. There are limited spaces reserved for hotel guests in a public lot and no instructions on what to do if these are full. The room itself was fine until.... 1) a fire alarm at 5 something AM that went off for just enough rings to wake everyone up, then 2) someone from maintenance walking right into my room while I was in bed asleep at 6 AM caused by a water leak, then 3) the floor covered in water (now I cannot blame the hotel for this - things happen - but it was really inconvenient as I had no time to change rooms and it made me late for a meeting, and finally 4) to add insult to injury, instead of refunding the cost of the room, the hotel subsequently charged my credit card for 2 nights when I had only ever reserved for one. Shameful.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed June 27, 2012

This is a truly striking physical plant-both exterior and particular the lobby area with associated atrium. Rooms are appropriately furnished and decorated in a southwestern theme. Modern, clean and well maintained.

What makes this hotel truly stand out is its focus on customer service. The staff consistently goes above and beyond when something is requested. Courtesy van will take you anywhere within a 2-mile radius, which includes downtown area as well as an array of restaurants.

Room Tip: Because there is an atrium rising through the middle of the hotel, you'll want a room on a highe...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank John W
York Beach, Maine
Reviewed June 21, 2012

The Hilton Suites Phoenix is located in the downtown area with easy accessibility to museums and restaurants. There is a free hotel shuttle service available for a two mile radius of the hotel. This is a full service hotel with an effective staff. The rooms are pleasant and roomy.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank DRH0PS
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed June 11, 2012

My wife and I stayed here for two nights during my sister's wedding in April 2012. My other sister and mother stayed in the room next door.

Both of us liked the hotel. In fairness, my sister liked it a bit more than I did. The standard rooms are a great size. They have a separate bedroom from "living area" and each has a television. The couch was very comfortable while watching TV and there was also a desk nearby. Two things for me that didn't live up to expectations: the decor seemed like it was from the early 90's and the bathroom doors were paper thin. I love my wife but I don't need to hear some of the things that occur in there.

They also have a pool, which my niece enjoyed, but was a little small. The breakfast buffet was tasty and reasonably priced.

All in all I would probably try to find somewhere a bit trendier first but I'd stay here again if I couldn't find anything reasonably priced.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank datreic
San Diego, California
Reviewed May 31, 2012

We arrived at the hotel late at night from San Diego because we were competing in Phoenix for a softball tournament. The front desk notified us that we would have to be moved to the Hilton Garden Inn down the street because they had a maintenance issue and were sold out. I work at a hotel and I understand this sometimes happens. Our softball manager just had the four of us sleep on their sofa beds for that night and the hotel comped OUR ENTIRE STAY for us! Wow! I wasn't expecting them to give us anything but they were so generous! The hotel is very nice and all interior so rain or shine (I'm sure it doesn't rain much in Arizona) you can enjoy the pool and the bar. It is very centrally located and close to the light rail so you can travel to nearby areas for food and clubs. The only thing I was disappointed about, which I can't complain much because I stayed for free, is that they didn't have a complimentary breakfast for their guests. If I was on business and had to pay 15 dollars for the breakfast buffet that wouldn't be helpful if I was on the go.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Adkin0509
St Louis, MO
Reviewed May 7, 2012

The hotel is nice, but it appears that it was once an Embassy Suites -- has the open atrium design. Front desk staff very pleasant and helpful. Soon after arriving in room -- which was very large, nice and clean (but odd smell), the fire alarm went off. I opened door (11th floor) to smoke. Went down 11 flights of stairs to find out staff had caught table clothes on fire by sternos (setting up for a banquet.)
Breakfast buffet--quick, average (but hot) food. Dinner restaurant should be avoided, very salty food, not pleasant in presentation and very expensive.
Would definitely go back there for business. (Not close to a lot.)

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank ShelbyJR
Cornville, Arizona
Reviewed April 25, 2012

This hotel is a little older, but well maintained and the rooms are very comfortable small suites, with a refrigerator and microwave. Even though it is a central city hotel, the way the building is positioned on the block made it very quiet, at least in our 10th floor room. Some reviewers have mentioned that they believed it used to be an Embassy Suites, I dont know about that, but it is definitely similar with a large open atrium in the center and glass elevators up and down. The location is a block away from the light rail station, so makes a quick, easy inexpensive trip to the sports venues and other downtown locations. We were here for a diamondbacks series. It has a interior pool with adjoining fitness room. The fitness room is well equipped for this type of hotel, with 3 treadmills and an eliptical, a bicycle, and a weight machine. We only had breakfast at the central atrium patio restaurant, but it was good and reasonably priced. If there is any downside there is not an abundance of other eateries within walking distance. The price we obtained through hotwire was very reasonable for a suite.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple