“Our Favorite Dog Friendly Chain”

La Quinta Inn Phoenix Thomas Road
Ranked #115 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
“Our Favorite Dog Friendly Chain”
Reviewed June 2, 2013

This was an older La Quinta property but well kept & clean. The bed was one of the most comfortable we have ever slept in. It is in a very busy area of Phoenix & therefore tended to be on the noisy side but not enough so to disturb a peaceful sleep in that wonderful bed. The staff were some of the friendliest ever encountered at a motel chain. We didn't partake in the breakfast but looked kind of sparse, just your typical toast, dry cereal, bagle fare, we chose to utilize the abundant fast food choices near by. Last, but not least, they welcomed our pets, without the normally ridiculously high priced pet fee that most chains charge. We will always stay at a La Quinta whenever possible because they consider your pet a part of your family instead of a dirty problem that you must be punished for if you choose to bring them along. A comfortable & relaxing stay, we will be back.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Huntington Beach, CA
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Summary:

This is a great hotel for the price and the beds have those pillow-top mattresses that make it a dream to sleep on. Their staff was SUPER friendly and helpful and the continental breakfast was what I would expect when offered. However, I believe that their maintenance could use a little improvement and the location isn't so great noise wise.

More Details:

We slept on the far side from the freeway thinking it would be quieter, which it was most of the time, however, the far side also is across the street from a fire department, which trucks roar out of all throughout the night. I counted at least 5 times on the night I slept. I couldn't even tell you what time of the night it was. At least they [the fire dept] had the courtesy to not turn their sirens on until they hit the main street, however, it was still loud and their big trucks running by our door, even without the sirens, would wake me up. My only other complaint was that the bathroom fan, which hardly worked, sounded louder than even the fire trucks. I had to get up at 5am so I felt bad for all the other guests within a rooms length from me when I turned on the fan for showering. There were a few other things that made me think that the maintenance team wasn't paying attention to detail as well.

They had a pool, but I never made it so I can't review that.

Air conditioner ran quietly, except for when it would kick on with a low "thud".

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Jim S
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 29, 2013

We stayed there for 4 days with my wife staying full time during the day while I was at a convention. I used points for half of the stay. Beds are comfortable. The nightly rate was half of other hotels so the worn carpet and stained chairs was no huge deal. If they changed out the carpet and chairs, (they changed a chair for us upon request) they could easily charge another $ 10 to $20 per night and it would be a winner. Friendly staff with Denny's adjacent and right on the highway was so convenient. Would surely stay again !

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 25, 2013

I stayed at this location twice on 2 seperate occasions in April 2013. I was a bit apprehensive at first considering the price i paid for a AAA rate room. I was very surprised when i entered the room. I know this an older roadside motel but the room showed alot of care the staff at this location provided. The room was clean, the bed was comfortable (no bugs - thank goodness), sheets were clean. There is some slight room wear and a couple of stains on the carpets but all in all I felt the room was great. I felt safe and loved that Dennys is right on site along with a starbucks. If you want new, prestine and unblemished then don't stay here as you will not be satisfied. Again, it is not a bad location and was perfect (and better then expected) for the AAA price i paid.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed April 19, 2013 via mobile

The room was dark, unclean and uncomfortable even though stated firmly when I reserved non-smoking was a must due to asthma health reasons.... the room was unbarely smoke filled requested another room but was told that the one I received was non- smoking and the best they had... if that the "best" and you have any other choice it's not a place I want to stay, so I had to give them a one night stay and go elsewhere my registration was for three nights.

Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Shir W
Hereford,AZ
Reviewed March 25, 2013

Having stayed at many La Quinta's, I try and use them when I can. This was in the area of where I needed to be,for a family Wedding. It is right next to the I-17 freeway,entrance off of Thomas Rd.but there was very little noise roadside.There is a Denny's restaurant adjacent the hotel,as well as a Starbucks.
This is an older property,judging by the popcorn ceilings in the room. The bathroom was so tiny with the tub and commode in the same area,that I doublt a substancial sized person could shut the door unless they stood in the tub! There is another mirrored dressing area,with a sink,hair dryer and counter space.The room was quite large,with a flat screened TV, a cabinet that held the microwave and small fridge. A desk area with 2 chairs and several plug ins for your electronic devices and phone chargers. The King size bed in our room, was clean and made up quite well,with 5 pillows on the bed. The coverlet/bedspread was wearing thin and had a whole in it. The sheer curtains on the window were hanging off some of the hooks, but the black out drapes did the job.There is a wall heater/AC unit, which we did not use.
The room looked as if at one time it was updated,but needs it again. The bathroom could have used a little extra cleaning, especially the floor.Tub and the rest were clean. Small,one cup coffee brewer on the vanity, worked well.
Unfortunately,the maid did not make it to our room the 2nd day,to clean our room,and my husband had to go down for fresh towels and coffee packets for the next mornings use.
The front desk people keep the place running, especially a young woman named "Megumi" who did the work of 4 people. The place was packed with sports teams and their families on this weekend.We watched Megumi run the hotel from the front desk,as we sat and ate our light breakfast that they offer. Everything was clean and stocked and just fine for a continental breakfast. Coffee was also good and hot!
There is a pool outside, not heated and it was too cool to use,for us. Parking is ample.The area was safe enough and quieter than I thought it would be,being so close to the access road and Thomas Rd.There is also a gas station, convenience store and a fast food place on the other side of Thomas Rd. within walking distance.

Room Tip: Make sure you have a prior reservation,this location seems to fill up fast. One couple was turned aw...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Azsmittys
Kelowna, Canada
Reviewed March 23, 2013

The room was clean, but carpets had been washed and were wet and the toilet did not work well and plugged up in the morning, they gave us a discount the next day when I told them. There is a Denny's and other fast food places within walking distance. the staff were helpful. the pool was nice. You could hear people walking around in the room above us and in the middle of the night someone banged on the door, had wrong room, my husband sent him away. There is a continental breakfast which was okay, no homemade waffles, just packaged ones. For the price the room was okay.

Room Tip: I would only spend one night here.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple