“Worth considering if you need to be in downtown Phoenix”

Hyatt Regency Phoenix
Ranked #27 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
GreenLeadersSilver level
Seattle, Washington
“Worth considering if you need to be in downtown Phoenix”
Reviewed March 18, 2010

I stayed at the Hyatt Regency for three nights while attending a series of meetings at the Phoenix Convention Center. It’s a very nice property that has been kept up well over the 30+ years of its existence.

Having grown up in Phoenix, I watched this hotel being built. It was quite the sensation with its eight-story open-air lobby and revolving restaurant on top. Three decades hence, it’s still a very nice hotel. Obviously, the hotel has been refurbished (probably several times) since its construction so room amenities are strictly 21st century: comfortable beds with multiple pillows and high thread-count linens, flat screen TV, work stations with Internet access (both wired and wireless), iron and ironing board, iHome radio/iPod dock, higher-end amenities in the bathrooms, and bathrobes available upon request.

Owing to its late-70s vintage, however, the standard rooms are a bit on the small side. The air conditioning, while a step up from the wall-mounted units popular in so many hotels, is still noisier than it ought to be. And the soundproofing leaves something to be desired; several times, I heard fellow guests in adjoining rooms or out in the hall.

Further, I will never understand why upscale hotels like the Hyatt Regency use thin, cheap-feeling towels and then – worse – let them get so worn that they develop spots so thin you can see through them. The first morning, my bath towel had a couple of large thin spots as well as a noticeable stain. The bath mat I used on two out of three mornings had begun to fall apart and had numerous loose threads hanging from them.

Generally, though, the property continues to impress. The revolving restaurant on the 24th floor, the Compass, offers great views of Phoenix and some pretty good food and drink as well. If you’re acrophobic, the Terrace Café on the second floor atrium level or the Networks Bar and Grill on the ground floor are more casual but still pretty good, though without the views. There are several shops, including an Einstein’s Bagels, off the lobby and a car rental counter on site. The hotel also offers a pool, fitness center, and business center.

Downtown Phoenix, though, is a downtown that has never quite found its feet. Certainly, the Convention Center, U.S. Airways Center, and Chase Field draw crowds for specific events, but when there’s nothing special happening, the area gets pretty barren, save for the area’s homeless. But if you’re going to Phoenix for a meeting or event downtown, definitely consider the Hyatt Regency. If you want to take in a view of the city, The Compass provides that for the cost of a drink, even if you’re staying somewhere else.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (292)
  • Korean first
BurghGirl71
Reviewed March 13, 2010

I accompanied my husband to a show at the convention center. His company gave us a choice of hotels so we stayed at the Hyatt for my convenience in reaching day time venues while he was working - the others were too far away from the light rail. They did allow us to check in early the day of our arrival which was a big bonus.

The room was merely average - desert generic decor, but sort of a dated look. Linens so-so. Limited TV channel selection. Pay plan for wireless internet access- it was $12-14 a day which is an outrage when it is free at the Holiday Inn Express. Not very fast either.

Housekeeping skipped our room the first day because she saw me enter the room but did not see me leave a few minutes later. She apparently paid no attention to the fact that there was no Do Not Disturb hanger. I had to call late in the day to get the room cleaned and then they didn't leave face cloths or provide an extra roll of TP. Took 3 calls to get it all right.

Having said that, the staff was always responsive and polite (I was polite when I called.)

Limited "amenities" included a very weak hair dryer. Shampoo and hand soaps were provided and a very stinky hand lotion. The "fragrances" were awful. No tissues were provided. (really, Hyatt?) Iron and Ironing board in closet along with one extra blanket.

Laundry service was available which we used because we were extending our trip. I have no idea if prices are in line or not -first time i have ever used such a service. $7 to launder a pair of jeans. The items were returned the same day around 530 pm and my jeans never looked so good.

Day 1, I heard very loud construction-type noises all morning in rooms above and beside us. When I left to go to a museum I discovered a young man on the floor by the elevators cutting the carpeting. When I returned some hours later (apparently he was at it all day,) he was gluing the seams. The rest of the day and all night into the next day, our floor reeked of that overwhelmingly horrible chemical smell of glue. No warnings were given to the guests on that score so that is bad. They obviously didn't care who was breathing those fumes. Are we hotel customers supposed to be huffers?

Noise continued day 2.

The concierge employees were most helpful and friendly. Gave us good directions to the light rail, the closest drugstore and restaurants and when they found out upon our check out where we headed next, gave us some small publications and a map. Nice touch.

FOOD: The restaurants were OK-not great. Didn't get to try Compass as it was closed for a private party. Their breakfast is held in a separate small space on the 2nd or 3rd floor that quickly crowds. Buffet offered was $14.95 and limited selections. No vegan entrees on the buffet which was shocking at such a hotel. Come on. Vegetarian fare consisted of eggs-scrambled only. Oatmeal was on the buffet and the only fruit offered was cantaloupe and honey dew. Again. Come on. The only thing good was the coffee. Food was not kept hot enough on the buffet which is a food safety issue. It doesn't take a long time to produce a bad outcome with eggs.

There is an Einsteins' Bagel for breakfast and lunch which is better priced. A 2 to 5 minute walk about the neighborhood shows you that there are much better and cheaper places to eat. Lots of places are open for breakfast. For dinner walk a couple blocks north to the Sheraton and eat at District, or walk south and eat at Kincaid's. For entrees, I preferred District and my husband Kincaid's. The portions at Kincaid's prevented dessert. At District get the whoopie pies and "milkshake." We both LOVED those. There are bunches of restaurants all over the area.

AREA: a couple blocks from the Hyatt and Convention Center was the Arizona Center which is small outdoor shopping "mall" with mostly restaurants and cheesy gift shops. Some store fronts are closed. It is a tourist or convention-goers trap. There is no drug store nearby - you have to take the light rail. I followed concierge directions with no trouble. It is basically an honor system. You pay $1.75 a ride no matter where you are going. $3.50 gets you all day. No one checks to see that you have a ticket which I find very odd. There are no turnstiles or ticket readers per DC Metro. You 'activate" the ticket but no one checks it. The CVS is the closest to the Hyatt-they said about a mile but it sure seemed further than that. It was right by the rail line but the sidewalks and everything around were run down, littered and dirty with graffiti on the sidewalk and nefarious characters hanging about. I have no idea whether it is safe or not but it sure didn't seem to be. Perhaps the hotel personnel should find out?

SUMMARY: My impression is that the Hyatt Regency management feels they have a captive and well-heeled business clientele from the Convention Center who are on expense accounts and therefore, don't care that the Hyatt is pretentious and overpriced and offer few amenities. Overall, a real bare bones, a la carte hotel. You get only the value of the location and everything else is overpriced for its quality - or lack of same. The management and housekeeping should try to emulate the concierge staff.

We would not stay here again.

2 Thank BurghGirl71
1julieg
Reviewed March 6, 2010

I've not been one to stay in a Hyatt because I normally find the Hyatt reservation fee a bit high for my budget. Because I had a colleague share a room with me and by getting a AAA discount, I was willing to splurge this time. Let me just say, I really enjoyed my stay. I immediately signed up as a Gold Passport Member to reap benefits. Now that I've tried a Hyatt, I am very interested in staying in one again. I loved all it had to offer! I enjoyed the gym, comfy beds, late check out and delicious breakfast. I like the fact I didn't have to worry about the room being clean and if I'd had to deal with noisy neighbors. The Hyatt is first-class in my opinion and I'm willing to "splurge" again for another good night stay. The only negatives are that parking was a little expensive and the bathroom toilet is not separate from the counter sink and shower stall.

Ogden, Utah
Reviewed February 22, 2010

I've stayed in this Hyatt for more than 20 years. We work a trade show in Phoenix every February and the location of this hotel combined with the rate we get with the trade show makes it an easy decision to stay here. It appears that they recently updated/remodeled portions of the hotel, including the room that I stayed in and the check-in area. Some parts of the hotel are still pretty dingy for "Hyatt" standards but all-in-all, this is a pretty nice place. It can be VERY pricey for food & drinks. I received free internet as part of our trade show booking but I completely agree that charging for internet is bush league in this day & age. If we didn't get the rate with our trade show, this is one very expensive hotel for room rates. It is exceptionally convenient to access the baseball & basketball arena's, some great restaurants and a lot of cool bars. A MAJOR caveat at the hotel is during peak times when groups of people are going to or coming back in from the convention center or sporting events------for some reason, they have (5) elevators and you NEVER see more than 2 or 3 of them working at the same time! This has been a problem at this hotel for as long as I can remember!! There are times during the day that it will take you 8-12 minutes to get on an elevator. All the while, 2 or 3 elevators remain idle. I don't get it and I've run out of oxygen complaining about this problem over & over & over again. Networks is a great bar and they have significant patio seating. Again, this is a pricey place but if you want to be smack dab in the middle of downtown Phoenix, the Hyatt Regency is a great choice. The beds are REALLY comfortable and the rooms could use some more lighting. My climate control worked perfectly but some of our guys that stayed in non-remodeled rooms had some aggravating problems with the A/C not working or shutting off for no apparent reason. The staff here seems very, very accommodating.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
MuirTown
Reviewed January 16, 2010

I was lied to on a special rate when I booked which they did resolve when I caught them on the lie. Calls had to be made on the broken thermostat that locked temps over 80 degrees which they fixed; the showerhead that fell off which they fixed; and no face towels which they delivered. On the last day, I was locked out of my room because of their mistake (The desk keyed in my credit card wrong so it was denied. I thought someone had stolen my card number but a later call to my card company identified the problem.), it took over 30 minutes to resolve with another credit card. I was escorted to my room to get my luggage by security in front of over 15 people waiting in line to check out because they only had one person at the desk. It has been a few weeks ago since I filed a complaint. Hyatt's only reply is, "We are looking into it." Seems like they don't care.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank MuirTown
Durango Colorado
Reviewed December 11, 2009

Nice hotel, all the luxuries you would expect from Hyatt. Had to pay for parking which I guess is to be expected downtown in a big city. But it really frosts me to have to pay $12+ for 24 hours of internet access. Come on, Hyatt, if every dinky motel and rv park out in the boondocks can offer free internet, what's your problem?
Here's a tip: one block away is a Paradise Bakery Cafe. They have free internet, good food, and cookies to die for. Spend your money there instead of paying the Hyatt for something that a "luxury" hotel should be embarrassed to charge extra for.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank Chilkoot_Hiker
Saint Cloud, Minnesota
Reviewed December 8, 2009

My hotel room here was nice, clean, and comfortable. The service staff were incredibly nice and helpful--every single person who I encountered. I write this for every hotel where I have to pay for internet, but I consider it absolutely inappropriate to charge for internet. I have stayed in $40 hotels with free internet...obviously in the middle of nowhere, but it is just not $13 to provide someone with 24 hours of internet. So even though I really liked the hotel, next time I will find a place with free internet.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business