“Convenient location, not good service”

Hyatt Regency Phoenix
Ranked #27 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
GreenLeadersSilver level
A TripAdvisor Member
“Convenient location, not good service”
Reviewed January 21, 2006

I stayed for two nights because of a business convention. Rooms were OK, beds were not very comfortable. Also, as another reviewer mentioned, the doors of the TV cabinet don't open all the way, which makes for strange TV viewing. The view from the elevators was beautiful. Pool seemed fine; I didn't have time to try it.

Ate at the cafe for breakfast one morning. Fruit was good, and everything had typical high hotel prices. The Networks bar had a very small food menu, but about eight pages of drink options. Service at both restaurants was good.

My biggest problem was with the front desk and security. I smelled cigarette smoke one night and called the front desk. They said they'd send up security. Twenty minutes later I called back, and they switched me to security. They told me that they had sent someone up, but didn't smell anything, and they couldn't interrupt the people next door and "accuse" them of smoking. I explained I had asthma, but all the guard did was apologize, and said he'd go up again. He never followed up though. Fortunately, the smoke diminished in the next ten minutes and with the fan on high, I could sleep. I did speak with the manager the next day, and he said he'd contact me after he followed up.

My company paid $180 per night for this. Maybe if I had gotten a Priceline bargain of $35 I'd be happier. Also, they charge $12 per day for wireless access, but don't mention that anywhere until you log on.

• Stayed January 2005, traveled on business
6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (292)
  • Korean first
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed January 3, 2006

We stayed at this Hyatt facility for two nights, namely December 10 and 11, 2005. Overall, we rated this hotel as a decent place to sleep; most guests would not find the facility attractive enough to do anything there except sleep at night and leave.

The property is bland. There is nothing visually appealing about this hotel. It has floors, ceilings, walls, lights and a few pieces of bad art. The rooms are ordinary, basic, even simple. The bathrooms are very small. The hallways are dull and lifeless.

With one exception, the staff was not stimulating or even modestly attentive. We recall the neutral greeting when we approached the desk Saturday morning to check in. This young woman either was having a bad day or absolutely hated her job. The doormen were okay, mildly pleasant. We did not encounter any of the housekeepers. The most attentive person we encountered after two nights was the man at the desk when we checked out early Monday morning. He was focused, charming and engaging -- a major, and positive, departure from the other persons we met while at this hotel.

We relied on the concierge to select a restaurant outside the hotel for dinner one night. He recommmended an Italian restaurant (we have forgotten the name, for reasons detailed below) located about ten minutes away by car. The food was very poor. The service was good. The facility had not been renovated since the 1970's. The recommendation was so poor that it made us wonder about the motivations of this hotel representative to recommend this place -- did he really dislike us that much, or did he have a personal interest in our visit?

We had breakfast at the hotel one morning. The food was poor, in taste, quality and presentation. The service was okay. The buffet -- an option we did not select -- looked like the food items had been recycled recently. It was expensive, though.

A bar is located in the lobby. It yields lots of cigarette smoke that invades and lingers in other sections of the lobby area.

The facility is located in the heart of downtown Phoenix.

Overall, this hotel is okay. It is not charming or elegant. It is not staffed by a motivated or engaged team of workers. We rate it merely as a place to bunk for a night or two. In summary, this facility is not at this time well positioned to compete for your discretinary personal or business travel dollars. In our view, this hotel experienced better days years ago. We do not plan to return.

• Stayed December 2005
6 Thank annenorman
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 13, 2005

My fiancée and I stayed at the Hyatt Regency hotel Sept 30-Oct 2. We were able to check-in early, and arrived to a nice clean room. However, the television was in a cabinet at a 90 degree angle to the bed. You could pull the TV out on a sliding shelf & turn it towards the bed, however, it didn’t pull out far enough so the cabinet obscured about a quarter of the TV. In order to watch the TV properly, you either had to lie on the right hand side of the bed (no good if there are 2 of you) or you would have to sit in the corner chair. Also, the coffee maker was in the bathroom, which I found rather unsanitary and inconvenient. Perhaps worst of all, the room had no internet access. I wanted to check in for my Sunday flight on Saturday evening and inquired at reception about internet access within the hotel. The clerk told me that they had internet access in the UPS Store, but it was closed, and closed on Sunday. I can't believe a hotel the caliber of Hyatt doesn't offer in-room internet access, or at least a business center. I had to ask her where the nearest internet café was, as she did not offer the information.

Perhaps the worst aspect of the Hyatt experience was the Sports Grill/Bar downstairs. We went to get lunch the day we checked in, and it wasn't busy. A server said she would be with us in a minute. She never came back, so after 20 minutes, we left and went across the street. The next evening we went back down to the bar to have a drink. It was very busy and only one server for almost the entire bar. People were getting up and leaving after not being even acknowledged, let alone have their drink orders taken. Finally, when he came up to our table, I asked him what beers he had on draft. Instead of simply answering me, he grabbed the menu, opened it to the page listing beers, saying nothing. Not only did I find that very rude, he was almost 30 minutes getting our order to us. Meanwhile, more people are leaving than are coming into the place. We would've left and gone across the street, but there was a power outage affecting all the restaurants near the hotel.

During our stay, we ate at a two restaurants across the street and were greeted promptly and courteously. Both the food and the service were very good and well beyond the Hyatt. For a major hotel in the heart of downtown Phoenix, serving not only guests but locals, the Hyatt Regency leaves much to be desired.

• Stayed September 2005
13 Thank Treborwf
Herndon, Virginia
Reviewed October 2, 2005

The room is large and clean, the staff is attentive and responsive, the walls are thin. I enjoyed my stay at this hotel but was VERY glad I packed my earplugs. Without the plugs, I could hear the people in the hall and in the room next to me. Great location for conference, Einstein's bagel was very convenient.

• Stayed September 2005, traveled on business
3 Thank Sheila S
UK
Reviewed August 4, 2005

we stayed here for three nights in july - saturday to tuesday - and enjoyed the great location

we had two adjoining rooms - which were a good size, although the bathrooms were small

the corridors were dark and dingy and the overall impression was quite depressing - little light

we were able to walk to the ball park from the hotel in just a few minutes so that was a real bonus

the parking is $7 in the nearby multistorey and $14 with in/out access if you are a hotel resident - reasonable for a city centre

one negative point - they wanted to charge us $25 for a fridge to store my son's medication - they didn't add it to the account in the end though - also no room safe

the pool area is small and not very welcoming but for a city centre hotel an outdoor pool is a bonus anyway

we got a great rate through priceline so at $35 a night the hotel is fantastic value - i would probably try for it again on priceline

the rooftop hotel does a very grown up champagne brunch on sunday but we were unable to get a buffet in the other restaurants as the hotel was nearly empty (20% full we were told on the sunday)

if you want to go to a game, baseball, basketball or whatever, then this hotel is a good bet - easy walking distance

• Stayed July 2005
5 Thank ShirleyVa1
Reviewed June 17, 2005

My family stayed at this hotel for a week while our son attended the International Science and Engineering Fair. The hotel was wonderful...our room was oversized as it was at the end of the hall and had a huge closet, plenty of room to walk around, and a great view. It was obviously well sound proofed as we never heard any of the 500 or so high school students who were staying there during the fair. Bank One Ballpark, the convention center, and America West Arena are all within easy walking distance and there are many eating places of all price ranges close by. I would stay there without hestitation.

• Stayed May 2005, traveled on business
7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 27, 2005

I stayed at the Hyatt Phoenix a few weeks ago with my boyfriend. The service was top notch and we couldn't believe how convenient the location of the hotel was to area attractions. We could even walk to a Diamondbacks baseball game. In addition, there were cute shops and restaurants in the area. It was a perfect weekend getaway! I can't wait to return to Phoenix!

• Stayed May 2005