“Poor service for only $309 a night!”

Hyatt Regency Phoenix
Ranked #24 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed March 29, 2009

Upon checking into the Hyatt, the clerk assigned us Room 603. If you check the floor map, you will see that 6 rooms on each floor are located in the corners of the hotel, and these 6 rooms are half the size of other rooms on those floors, with a twelve inch window and a view of the brick wall comprising the other corner of the hotel. The hotel was nowhere near capacity, so I have no idea why they would put anyone in these rooms.

After checking in, we stopped at Networks for a quick bite and some drinks. The mojitos that they advertise as a special were awful, and I love mojitos. That could be because the service people all seemed to be drunk. One waitress tripped on a step and rolled around on the floor laughing. Our waiter kept bumping into our table, chair, and drinks. The pizza tasted like one of the microwave versions, and the four coconut shrimp for $10 were not worth the money. It was $50 down the toilet, and it convinced us not to have dinner at the Compass Room upstairs.

The next day, the front desk gave us a room on the 17th floor, at my request. The view was spectacular, but the room was very small, and missing the decorative touches (throw pillows, blanket, arm chair) of the first room. The only mirror was over the sink in the bathroom, which makes it very difficult for someone to get ready while their spouse is in the shower. There was no full length mirror.

That night, I was not feeling well, so against our better judgement, be ventured up to the Compass Room for a snack. My husband had the bisque, which was smokey and good. We had a couple of drinks and the trio custard, and they were fine. The decor left a lot to be desired, but I guess the view was meant to carry the restaurant. Unfortunately, we went back down to Networks for March Madness. I had a martini since it was 'Tini Tuesday and they were $2 off. When the bill came, the drink was not discounted. The bartender said the special was only for 4-6 and 11-2. The sign was right in front of us, and it said nothing of the sort. Instead of taking off the lousy two bucks, the bartender argued with my husband and was very rude.

This hotel soured us on both Hyatt and Phoenix. If it weren't for the lovely meals and service at Sens and Sam's Cafe, we would not return to Phoenix for another conference or convention. We had already booked a Hyatt in Bonita Spring, Florida for next week, but I am going to try to change that reservation.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled on business
4  Thank bluehousefive

Reviewed March 18, 2009

stayed here for a trade show for 5 nights. As most have said it's a average downtown hotel, nothing really bad about it , just nothing really special about it either.
check in was smooth, friendly and effecient. We got a room on the 9th floor and had a spetacluar view of the roof.......and a bit of the skyline and hills surrounding the area......
room was typical , beds comfy, bathroom the usual.......on it goes.
I ate at the terrace for breakfast buffet..........it was decent for 18.00 bucks
We had dessert in the compass room, it was sort of fun rotating around with a rumble with a nice view of the city and surrounding area............hotel must've been built in the late 70's
If was very convenient for the trade show which was directly across the street and a short walk from our hotel to our booth.......
the area has decent restaurants within walking distance. The downtown is not to exciting accept for the ball park and arena..........
again nothing special, but not really bad either........
pool area is quite small

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed February 18, 2009

We used points for a one-night stay at the Hyatt Phoenix over Valentine's Day Weekend and the weekend of the All-Star Game! I was actually amazed to be able to get a room given all that was going on. Check In was fast and friendly and we were given a room on the 18th floor. We walked past the diners going to the rooftop restaurant for a romantic evening and headed up to our room. Room was large, clean and quiet. We ordered room service which took about 30 minutes to arrive. Unfortunately the order was incorrectly delivered so we had to wait another 20 minutes for a missing club sandwich. Food was fair to poor and I'll blame it on the busy hotel and Valentine's Day rush in the restaurant. The hotel is in the middle of downtown and perfect for a business stay. Overall I would recommend to anyone needing to be in town on business, but I'd recommend eating elsewhere

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 15, 2009

I would rate the service from this hotel as above average. My stay was as part of a group reservation that I was in charge of making and the staff were exceedingly helpful from the word go.

We had a standard room that was very pleasant with good maid service each day, with the room being straightened each morning around 10:30.

Room service was good and the breakfast really nice, if a little on the expensive side.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 21, 2009

I booked this hotel through Priceline for a bid of $45/night for a Friday and Saturday. This hotel is downtown near the convention center, which is the standard type of hotel I expect to get from priceline in a major city for a weekend.

Parking: There's self-parking in the garage next door, valet or street parking. Street parking seems really hard to find, so we opted for the garage. It's $10 with no in/out (paid at the garage) or $16/day with in and out (paid at the hotel). There's also valet for $23/day. Typical prices. One caveat: the USAirways Center is close by. If there is an event going on, parking might be harder than usual and there might be crowds to contend with. We got there as a Suns game was letting out, so traffic was a bit heavier than expected, but no unbearable.

Check-in: We checked in around 10 PM on a Friday night. They said they had no non-smoking king rooms available, so the options were a two double beds, two queen beds, or one queen. We opted for the queen. Also, my reservation was booked as two separate reservations (I initially bid for one night on priceline and then decided to extend by one day). The representative noted it and I thought he linked the two reservations, but apparently he did not. On the Saturday when we returned to the room at 4 PM, housekeeping had still not visited because they thought we were checking out.

The Room: We actually ended up in two different rooms. The first room at a single queen on the 21st (top) floor. Two big issues with this room. First, the queen bed isn't really a queen bed. It's more like the size of a double and not at all comfortable for two people. Second, the room has two doors that connected to the rooms on either size. The noise traveled through the doors like they weren't even there. You can CLEARLY hear your neighbors conversations as if they were right in your room even if they are talking in normal inside voices. If you get one of these rooms, I recommend switching right away. The second day we stopped at the desk to ask a question about parking and were offered a king room that had become available. Of course, we switched and the room was so much better. No interior doors for noise to travel through and a real bed.

Exercise room: Small, but up to date. There's about 10 cardio machines (treadmills, cross trainers and bikes). Each has a built-in TV. They have headphones for use, but I recommend bringing your own as they didn't always have clean ones available. It also has a small weight area. It's a very small room that got crowded really quickly. Maybe because it was right after New Year's and everyone is trying to stick with their resolutions, but I've never seen a hotel exercise room that crowded. I thought it was open 24 hours, but the sign posted said 6 AM to 10 PM. Not sure which one was right. One nice touch: They had a wine cooler with cold,damp towels in it. Great for post workout.

Food: We did the breakfast buffet on Sunday for $17.95/person. Well stocked with lots of options.

Overall: Standard convention center hotel. For $45/night, I was satisfied with the experience, but I would not pay full price for this hotel.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank greatone3800
Reviewed December 9, 2008

I’d like to think of myself as a pretty romantic guy, my girl and I have a great relationship and we tend to get out a lot. So when something special happens, that’s usually cause for a little day trip.

Recently, my girl got a new job that she was long over due for, she had been under a lot of stress about it but the deal was finally sealed. We still had to play it smart with our money until her new job started, so an in-town vacation was in order.

I surprised her by taking her to one of the nicer hotels in one the nicer hotel chains in town…The Hyatt Regency. A beautiful hotel to say the least! Located in awesome downtown Phoenix, the Hyatt Regency might have the perfect location in the area. If you’re staying there, you’ll have access to the local mall whose restaurants stay open late, some really trendy night spots and the theater. You can’t beat the location, but personally, I was more impressed with the inside.

Check-in was swift and friendly, the only drawback was that I picked a busy night in downtown. The ballet was in town that night and we had no choice but to use the valet parking. A whopping $27.00 charged to the room for valet service! Pretty outrageous, but it made me look like a big shot in front of my girl, so…

The elevator to take you to the rooms is glass, and it’s quite a rush to shoot up to your floor while looking out. Two adults riding the elevator dressed in full evening wear at 2AM was quite a sight for the staff at the Hyatt who assured us, “Everyone does it, don’t be shy.” Ride the glass elevator to the top and be treated to the best view in the city from the Compass Restaurant. This is a beautiful revolving restaurant at the very top of the hotel. You can literally see the entire city from there. We didn’t dine there this time since the Hyatt is quite…how do I say this…PROUD, of this restaurant! I believe the lowest priced entrée on the menu was about $20.00! That’s was little out of our price range that night, but definitely next time. Fortunately for us, the maitre’d was cool enough to let us just take a stroll around the restaurant and have a look at the view for a few minutes…totally worth it!

The rooms are awesome! The Hyatt had the highest ceiling of any hotel I’ve stayed in. The room was spacious with the floor space of a suite. The bathroom was kind of small, or maybe it just seemed small because the rest was so big. It was also the first hotel I’ve stayed in where the bathroom had toothpaste too, amazing how little things start to count. The bed was huge and covered with comfy pillows. The room itself was a very romantic way to spend the evening we both slept like angels, all the way to check out time. The hotel itself is large enough to take a romantic stroll late at night while admiring the artwork strung through the lobby and downstairs area. We couldn’t ask for a better night, we both felt refreshed and totally at peace. Amazing how the right ambience can change your perspective on life. The Hyatt Regency will certainly surround you and the one you love with a new enjoyment of life.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Cervantez
Reviewed November 12, 2008

I stayed at the Hyatt Regency from Wednesday 11/5 - Monday 11/10 to attend a conference at the convention center.
The bed in the room was really comfortable. The layout of the room was not bad, as stated in previous reviews. I did have to work in the room 2 days and the desk, lighting, etc. were not bad. The air conditioning was not really controllable and seemed to be stuck on a constant 73 to 71, however there was a fan adjustment and as long as the unit was set on high the room seemed to be cooler than stated.
The high cost of internet was a little extreme as I needed it everyday and buying a 5 day package was about the same as purchasing it every day.
I ordered room service at least once daily and found the room service menu to be lacking in a big way with the amount of selection they offered. I did venture out for dinner one night and was followed by the bums (or street people), all the way there and back.... enough to keep me eating in the room nightly. The bums, or veterans as I was told, were quite mean and agressive and not your typical type of bums or street people. The room service people were great though and the bed and room were comfortable. Also, it is directly across the street from the convention center and that was a huge bonus with my days beginning at 6am.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank nickinichols