“a few tips”

GreenLeadersSilver level
New York
“a few tips”
Reviewed September 13, 2008

Stayed here for four nights on a business trip -- the hotel is perfectly reasonable and clean. Having stayed here as long as I have, I have a few tips --

1) Don't pay $12.29/day for internet - there's free internet in the convention center across the street, as well as at many of the area's restaurants.

2) Don't pay $5.29 for the in-room bottle of Aquafina -- there's a 5-gallon jug of Arrowhead spring water in the hotel's Exercise room, which is open 24 hours a day.

3) Don't use the hotel's "Printme.com" service - which costs $1/page after the first two pages (which are free). Instead, email your printing requests to the UPS Store downstairs, which prints for $0.10/page.

4) If you get coffee at Einstein's Coffee (in the lobby), save your coffee cup -- you can use it for the duration of your stay.

• Stayed September 2008
2 Thank Bramalei

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (290)
  • Korean first
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed September 5, 2008

I rated the hotel a three because of the difficulty in access and the disturbing amount of lint on the ceiling... all this considering the price, as well as the availability of local dining. I visited this hotel being entirely unfamiliar with the Phoenix area. Since I arrived after dark, I only circled once to find parking, when there was none, I used the valet to simplify my life a bit ($23 overnight). The following day, I parked my car in the only lot that seemed to allow Hyatt guests, and I was charged a $10 flat rate each time I would come and go. This lot does not charge by the amount of time you stay. During my 3 day visit, I've spent nearly $100 in parking fees (the lot where I am working also charges, however not as much). Granted, many business travelers will be refunded this expense from their companies, but for those traveling for pleasure, realize and budget this extra expense. The nearby resturaunts are very decent. I was most pleased by the bar and grill located off the lobby of the hotel: Networks Bar and Grill. The Networks salad is great. The other resturaunts in the hotel seemed too formal and I never visited either of them. The room was overall very well cleaned, however it wasn't until the very last night of my visit that I noticed quite a large amount of lint that had accumulated on the ceiling (from the a/c which maybe needed a new filter). It didn't look like it had been cleaned in quite a while. The bed was very firm, and while some prefer this, I don't. I had trouble getting to sleep. The room was, however, VERY quiet.

• Liked — The staff were all very friendly and accommodating
  • Disliked — Accessibility. Only partially due to the huge amounts of construction.
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank amarie2
Spartanburg, South Carolina
Reviewed September 3, 2008

We stayed one night in Phoenix at the end of our roadtrip through Arizona. We purchased a king room at the Hyatt Regency on Hotwire for $66+fees per night. Probably a steal for this impressive hotel!

Fortunately I thought to inquire about parking before we arrived, but the parking was still a bit of a hassle. You can valet park for over $20 with in and out privileges, or park yourself at a nearby garage (on the next block) for $10, or $16 with in and out privileges. In and out privileges at the garage are purchased through the front desk of the hotel and charged to your room. Does that make sense?

Our 5th floor room was really nice with a down comforter, a desk, a desk chair, an armchair, a table, a armoire with a cable TV, a coffeemaker, and a hairdryer. But unfortunately, it did not have a refrigerator, and interestingly, the TV was at an angle such that you could not watch from the bed. The room overlooked the pool/lounge area on the third floor.

It was a very nice hotel, but it seemed to lack character after visiting other charming hotels and cabins across Arizona. Since we were staying only one night, we also didn’t have the opportunity to fully explore what the hotel and the neighboring area had to offer (although it’s right downtown, near a thriving nightlife area, and just blocks from the Diamondbacks stadium).

• Disliked — parking
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed August 25, 2008

I enjoyed this hotel very much. The hotel employees were very friendly and helpful. It is located in downtown Phoenix within walking distance of restaurants and bars. The convention center is directly across the street. It is very clean and elegant. This is not your run-of-the-mill hotel. It is old-style with marble and soaring open spaces. The statuary and art is modern American-Western. There are doormen and bellhops. The revolving restaurant on the 24th floor reveals a panoramic view of the downtown Phoenix area, which is especially lovely at night. Do skip the valet parking for $23. You can park yourself for $10, and the parking garage is 1/2 block from the front door. I would gladly stay here again!

• Liked — Location, friendly staff and super clean property.
  • Disliked — Restaurants within hotel very expensive.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Wyoming
Reviewed August 7, 2008

The Hyatt Regency is a traditional service hotel - fully staffed and fully professional.

This is a great hotel for business travel. The hotel's Internet is top-notch, providing high-speed, low latency connection. The rooms are quiet, and what you'd expect from a full-service hotel.

Having a bar and grill in the lobby is nice, although they closed earlier than I thought a bar would, and I had to order my food to take to the room because it was close to closing.

The hotel, although downtown, had nice access to parking nearby.

* cleanliness above average
* beds average
* staff average (would give higher marks if I could have eaten in the grill)
* Internet above average (6Mbps down, <50ms latency to yahoo.com)
* air conditioning above average (didn't notice 110+ degrees)
* price average
* location above average (easily accessed from airport)

• Liked — Internet service
  • Disliked — Staff could have improved stay by sharing a little time
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed August 3, 2008

This was one of the priciest hotels on our trip, at $269 American a night for a room with a king size bed. But it was worth it, in terms of comfort and style.

This is one sophisticated hotel -- decorated all in dark tones. Everything looks very executive. There's a lot of art (including sculptures) in the cavernous lobby. The room looked classy and upscale, the bed was super comfortable!

One inconvenient aspect of this hotel, was the parking. We had to leave our car in a nearby lot (across the street). I believe it cost extra, can't remember how much. Made us a little nervous, as we didn't know the city well!

However, being right downtown was neat. A downtown ambassador wandered by and gave us some advice and a map (very helpful!). We had dinner at the restaurant built into the hotel (Networks Bar and Grill), and then walked over to Chase Field to catch the Diamondbacks in action.

Overall, a comfortable and luxurious stay...and a good location.

• Liked — room, location
  • Disliked — parking
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
Fort Myers, Florida
Reviewed July 21, 2008

My wife 2 kids and I spent the July 4th weekend in Phoenix. The Hyatt is downtown - right in the middle of the city. Very short walk to see a Diamondbacks or Suns game, shops/restaurants are nearby. Pool and gym are sort of small, but both were well maintained and clean. There is a sports bar in the hotel that offers good happy hour specials and late night meals. Also a Einstein Bros just off the lobby. Hotel staff was very courteous. The only negative over 4 days - we had to ask the maid to clean out our tub better since it had a dirt ring when we arrived. It was cleaned while we went to dinner and the mgr gave us 2 breakfast coupons. Otherwise no problems. We had a great stay and would go back to this Hyatt again.

PS - If you're looking for activities, we did a Diamondbacks game, WaterWorld water park, and the Ponderosa Stables dinner sunset ride. We also did fireworks at Tempe Towne Lake. All were awesome!!!!

• Liked — Location and close proximity of meal options
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family