“Business Meeting”

Hyatt Regency Phoenix
Ranked #26 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Nice hotel with a very accommodating staff. We held a meeting here and the catering staff was very helpful, talkative and willing to provide us with everything we needed. They also had suggestions on where we should have dinner for each of the evenings we were in town.
The rooms were clean and comfortable despite the heat of the Phoenix sun!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
HyattRegencyPhoenix, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Phoenix, responded to this reviewResponded January 24, 2013

Thank you for staying with us and the great comments regarding our acomodations and catering staff. We hope to see you again in the near future.

There are newer reviews for Hyatt Regency Phoenix

Reviewed January 23, 2013

I should preface my review with a few notes, I am a business traveler, I stay around 100 nights in hotels on business plus then any vacation travel we do. Of those 100 nights about 80% are with Marriott properties, so i have no status with Hyatt (and they made me feel it).

We were out at the hotel for a week of meetings (Sunday - Thursday) mid January

I arrived at the hotel and the lobby is very attractive, there is an einsteins bagels in the lobby area and a couple of gift shops. I also noticed the bar (the playoffs were on) which does have good food and drink and plenty of seating.

I checked in around 5:30 on Sunday night and was placed on the 3rd floor (ouch), i asked if I could expect traffic noise and if my room would be quiet. I was assured it was a quiet room but call down if i found it to be noisy. The room was a good size and quite well appointed and seemed quiet, I changed and went to a reception event. when I came back to go to sleep I could now hear a noise, quite a noisy noise too. My room was right next to the AC unit (not the little room ac units), a 15ft square unit, right outside my window!!

Of course given that I was now unpacked and ready for bed I decided to leave it and get on with the trip but the noise definitely affected my sleep in what would otherwise have been a pretty comfortable space

We had meetings all week in the hotel and we found the hallways and conference spaces to be fine but very very cold, our group would bring coats and wear them during coffee breaks and lunch.

Breakfast was in the main buffet area and while the selection was decent the price was obscene (over 20 bucks with no price break for continental breakfast) and the service charge is automatically included (for a BUFFET!!!)

The compass restaurant has great views but really not sure what there is to see about Phoenix (it's hardly the Las Vegas strip). But as some have noted the hotel is dated and this place definitely shows that up even more so.

Final moan here was my request to stay Wednesday night which wasn't on my original booking but a change in plans dictated I needed to be in meetings Thursday. They claimed to be fully booked but would put me on a wait list. I received my confirmation that I could stay at 8:15am Wednesday morning! Err, thanks but I needed to have a plan B so I already have a room at the Marriott (which was 4.5 out of 5). Unbelievable! Not only did I already have to have something else booked but I was already packed and walking out of my room when they called.

Normal rate I'm told is around 280 we had a group rate of about half that so it was ok on value, if I was paying 280 I would shell out the 10 bucks or so and go to the Marriott (half a block away), much higher finish level throughout and if you can get to the concierge level and lounge (Elevate), the place and staff are amazing.

1  Thank Littleton_Matt
HyattRegencyPhoenix, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Phoenix, responded to this reviewResponded February 1, 2013

Please accept our sincere apology for some of the concerns and issues you had during your stay with us. We are working hard to upgrade the hotel as we head into the future and hope that you will give us another chance upon your return to the Phoenix area.
Thank you for staying with us.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

I stayed for 3 days for a convention and had no problems with the hotel, room or location. It is an easy walk to the convention center, The lobby was contemporary and welcoming and I was quickly and efficiently checked-in. I was on a high floor and had a great view over downtown. The bedroom was a good size, with a comfortable bed and the bathroom was clean and well laid out. I guess I had an updated room as it was a very pleasant place to relax in. Even though I was there 3 days, I didn't eat at the hotel so can't comment on the restaurant or surrounding food offerings. The rotating bar/lounge on the top floor was a nice place to spend some time.
The only negative, and it is to be expected with a downtown hotel is parking. You have to park in a multistory a block away and whilst the area looks reasonably safe, walking late at night in any downtown area should always be viewed with caution. The bellhop will escort you if you desire. All in all I would stay here again if and when I need to be in downtown Phoenix.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Tim F
Reviewed January 17, 2013

I don't know what to say. Many reviewers seem happy. So before I wrote this, I reflected on what they said so I would not jump to damaging, judgmental conclusion. Like an idiot, I was forced to book last minute in early January and paid the snow bird price of $270. Not my money, it was a business trip and it was not my first choice hotel. I tried to stay open minded.

And I just can't get over the following - NO water pressure. Sinks not draining. HVAC was that classic drying "blow" when you sleep. Shower was hard to control. Towels actually "hurt" because they were so rough. Uninspiring architecture. This is a hotel "factory" - bring 'em in and ship 'em out. I suggest you spend some time researching your choices and book well ahead of time to avoid hotels that believe their location obviates their need to actually try to make your experience special. Hyatt Phoenix management - its not your fault - its the bizarre embrace of all things late 70's and early 80's and a lack of investment in the infrastructure. So don't take this is a complaint against you - your staff was lovely. You were the best part of the place.

Room Tip: Front desk is very helpful - don't be afraid to talk to them.
2  Thank golflefty
HyattRegencyPhoenix, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Phoenix, responded to this reviewResponded January 22, 2013

Please accept our sincere apology for the poor experience you had at our hotel recently. It is our hope that you treat this as an isolated experience and give us another chance next time you in the Phoenix.
Thank you for your comments, we will address your concerns and hope you come back to have a better experience at our hotel.

Reviewed January 14, 2013

The Hyatt Regency did not disappoint, though I don't know if I would call it a luxury hotel. Other than the beautiful lobby, there wasn't much out of the ordinary about my stay. I was put in a room on the 21st floor in the corner and really enjoyed the view as well as the comfortable bed.

The bathroom left much to be desired...as other reviewers noted, I also found the water pressure lacking, especially in the sink. The friendly girl at the front desk confirmed that I was okay with just a shower in my room, and it would have been nice if the shower were designed differently. There's only one faucet in an awkward spot in the shower and it's very dark with the curtain shut...I had to open it so I could see to shave! I always appreciate hotels with easily accessible plugs and was glad to see the Hyatt had plugs on the bedside tables.

Downtown Phoenix seems rather deserted, even though there was an event going on when we were there. We arrived at a restaurant recommended by hotel staff at 9.00 (on a Wednesday) and were told the kitchen was closed! There are restaurants and bars within walking distance of the hotel, but you need to arrive early on weekdays.

We then stopped by the revolving restaurant at the top of the hotel and found it understaffed. There's no bar to sit at and there were plenty of open tables, but they wouldn't seat us...there was a wait, so we left.

Overall, I had a pleasant stay, but I wouldn't pay the full price for the room...only book here if you are able to find a good deal.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for staying at the Hyatt Regency Phoenix during your time in the downtown area. We appreciate your comments and hope that when your travels bring you back to the Phoenix area you will be our guest again at the hotel.

Reviewed January 13, 2013

Rooms are large and clean. Staff friendly. Easy in and out. Higher floors can have a nice view of the city lights. Best place to stay if you're going to a baseball game, since it's an easy walk to the stadium.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
HyattRegencyPhoenix, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Phoenix, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2013

thank you for your very kind comments regarding our hotel. We look forward to seeing you again in downtown Phoenix for this upcoming Diamondback baseball season!

Reviewed January 4, 2013

I got a great deal on this hotel online and am glad I had the opportunity to stay here. The staff was very professional, friendly and helpful. The guest rooms are large and clean, with very comfortable beds. I didn't have any problems with water pressure, noise or other factors that would make a stay unpleasant. I had a room on an upper floor and had a great view. The location is ideal - very close to the convention center, sporting venues and several restaurants and bars. Networks was a great place to hang out for some drinks.

Some people have complained about parking costs, but I find that a lot of hotels in big cities charge for this. We checked in on a Friday at 4:30 and it was the valet who told us that parking at meters is free on weekends - all we had to do was put a couple quarters in a meter to get us to 5:00 when it is free. Please make note of this if you are planning a weekend trip. For our final night, we used the self-park lot to save us a little over valet-parking.

Some people also complained about the cost of the bottles of water in the rooms. I also find that a lot of hotels either don't have water available for purchase or charge for bottles of water. At under $5 per bottle, I didn't find the cost to be out of the norm. If you don't like this, either bring your own water, buy water from the gift shop in the lobby or go to the CVS that is a couple of blocks away.

I did not try the restaurant in the hotel which is a revolving restaurant. The prices where just too high for me to consider it when there were more affordable restaurants within walking distance.

The only suggestion that I would make to the hotel is that Networks bar needs to be flexible in their closing time. On my final night in town, a lot of people were arriving for the bowl game and were wanting to get a drink and/or something to eat and they did last call at 11:00 (the bartender said 11:00 was chosen because they were slower than normal that evening, so I'm guessing that some nights they stay open longer). I stayed until 11:20 and more than 20 people were turned away with several people at the check-in desk when I went up to my room. As a business owner, I hate to see the opportunity to make money being turned away.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends