“Ok hotel, but over priced”

Hyatt Regency Phoenix
Ranked #24 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed October 26, 2012

It is a okay hotel, but considering the price it charges, I expected something better.
Pros: lovely lobby, each check-in and out, spectacular view from the class wall elevator. Bed is comfortable.There is a refrigerator with a little freezer in the room.
Cons: Some layout of the room is not ideal: the light switch of the room is not by the door, you need to search for it in the darkness; the closet is awkward, with iron board right in the middle and a big safe taking the clothing hanging space; there is no bar or hanger to hang face tower in the bath room; the air conditioning fan is right above the headboard of the bed and I don't think it is good idea to have cold air directly blew to my head... I think the hotel needs to hire some interior designer to improve the room. Plus, the TV is kind blur with very basic channels. Out side the room, both the gym and pool are very small, and there is no shower by the pool or gym. Besides, No free internet in the room. It is $13 per 24 hours.

In general, if I can get a good deal on this hotel, I may stay again; if the same price, I may stay the hotel next door.

Room Tip: Rooms on the east side has better view; West side you look directly at US Bank Building
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
HyattRegencyPhoenix, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Phoenix, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2012

Dear sir, thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at the hotel. We appreciate the feedback as it will only help us improve in the future. Please look at our website for upcoming deals on hotel stays in Phoenix and we hope that you give us a try again.

Reviewed October 25, 2012

I have stayed in many Hyatts before, and have certain expectations. While this is a grand, clean hotel, some things were puzzlingly not present. The bathroom had one tiny towel holder, no racks.
The tub, while clean, was looking worn out. The room had no safe. The room had a desk and a desk chair, but no other chair to relax in when watching TV, forcing you to watch in bed. Why do the "high end" hotels charge extra for Wi-Fi? The rooms are expensive enough, I hate being "nickled and dimed".
On a good note, the location is ideal for the convention center, and Phoenix, overall looks better than I remember from my last visit here a few years back. The water here is icky, slimy feeling, not attributable to the hotel as others at the meeting also noticed this at other hotels.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
HyattRegencyPhoenix, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Phoenix, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2013

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay at the Hyatt Regency Phoenix. We are in the process of upgrading our guest rooms with personal safes and refrigerators along with a robust Wifi system. We hope that you give our hotel another chance the next time you’re in the Phoenix area.

Regards,

Thomas Deaney

Reviewed October 25, 2012

I've just returned from a conference in Phoenix and I must say that the so great location people talk about is the same for almost all downtown hotels in Phoenix. There are probably more than 4 or 5 hotels which are very close to the convention center so don't fall for that.
I was very disappointed with this hotel because for a reasonably expensive hotel it has shown some serious flaws which make me want to never go back there.
First of all, I understand that some hotels charge for packages handling, but some hotels don't! I would have appreciated if this hotel did warned me when I made my first contact informing that I had some packages to be delivered at the hotel. They only said that it would be a honor to receive then nothing more. I've stayed in a Hyatt hotel in Salt Lake City before and there was no charge for that, how was I supposed to know that in Phoenix they would charge me if they didn't warn me? So I think that for the price of the room, it's a very greedy attitude and even if they insist to charge, they should let the guest know about that, specially when they contact the hotel to inform about their packages.
Second, they also charge for the internet, which in my opinion is also wrong. It should be included in the price since almost everybody is there for business (there is nothing else to do in the city!). Anyway, they charge for internet but they give it for free if you join their gold-passport-whatever-group which can be made at check-in. But "surprisingly" they don't inform all the guests about this complimentary service...
Third, the room is ok but there is no safe, they have a very small bathroom, very stained bath curtains, terrible hair dryer (I had to buy a new one at CVS) and housekeeping kept forgetting to give us soap! Awful!
Fourth, the service at the rooftop restaurant was very poor... We arrived at the restaurant by 10pm and we had no idea they had already stopped serving food, anyway since there was anyone at the reception we took a seat. A very rude lady took us out of the seat and then back to the same place we were! She waited for us to order drinks and just let us know that there was no food afterwards... It was very unpleasant! We ended at the Networks Bar which is quite nice.
Fifth, it is probably not the hotel's fault but the rent-a-car service installed at the hotel offered a terrible service! First a guy named Kevin, from Enterprise rent-a-car told us that they didn't have a car to rent then we called the company central service to get a car from another location and for our surprise they told us that there was a car available in the hotel! We went back to that Kevin guy and for HIS surprise we had a reservation for a car! He said that we could have the car now and that he was doing us a favor because the car wasn't supposed to be rented. It really wasn't, because it was all dirty and I bet that Kevin didn't do his job right because he was supposed to have that car cleaned for renting! So Kevin was not doing us a favor... on the contrary, he wasn't doing his job right. I blame the hotel for allowing such person to provide services under their consent.

Despite all their flaws, I have to say that I experimented a very competent service at check-out by the proper manager and also very good service from the guys in the front door that arrange taxis, etc. They were very polite and helped me a lot.

Room Tip: Probably choose another hotel
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay at the Hyatt Regency Phoenix, we appreciate your contructive comments as they will only help us improve in the future.
It is our hope that you treat these concerns as isolated and give the hotel another chance the next time your in the Phoenix area.

Reviewed October 18, 2012

Good location across the street from the convention center and two blocks from the tram line. Many restaurants within walking distance.

Doesn't have the impressive lobby most Hyatts have. I did not sample services other than breakfast, which was good but not cheap.

Rooms were clean and spacious. The A/C fan was a bit loud but almost completely masked any sound from from adjacent rooms and the hallway.

Minor annoyances: the automated check-in kiosk I used froze before printing my key, and both bathroom drains were a bit slow.

Rather expensive, but this was a business trip, and being right next to the Convention Center was a big plus.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

Thank you for staying at the Hyatt Regency Phoenix and we appreciate your comments regarding your stay with us. We will use these comments to get better in the futurer. It is our hope that we see you again the next time your in the Phoenix area.

Reviewed October 14, 2012

We stayed at the Hyatt for a four day conference. Upon a late mid-day check-in (Mary at the desk was very helpful) we headed to the Networks bar/grill--margarita was better than expected and the chicken quesadilla large and tasty, priced about average for a hotel, but the service was slow with all the waiters grouped at one end of the bar chatting. Headed up to the room and the air conditioner was making a loud noise above our shower--called the desk, it was fixed within the hour. Apparently there had been other "issues" in the bathroom as the rust-colored wallpaper was very scuffed on either side of the mirror, which also needed some attention to the paint peeling off the frame (not an artistic effect!) The King room, done in Southwest colors, was large, the bed very comfortable and the cooling system was easy to adjust. But the carpet had spots all over the traffic areas and there was no fridge, microwave or any other extra creature comfort, but there is an iron and board in the closet. Internet service available in the room for $12.40/day. Also $$ for valet parking. At breakfast there was a staffing mix up and it took almost 10 minutes to get coffee and order--the food was OK and the pricing ran about $16+ per person. Like reviews before this, we were just disappointed. We expected Regency = Excellence.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

Please accept our sincere apologies for some of the difficulties you found with our product and service during your stay at the hotel. We are in the process of installing new personal refrigerators, safes and robust Wifi into our guest room and it is our hope that upon your return to Phoenix you give our hotel another chance

Reviewed October 14, 2012

A comfortable night sleep. A good hotel close to Phoenix downtown activities, symphony, Suns (basketball), Diamondbacks (baseball), conference center. 1-2 blocks from light rail. So even if you want to go to a Arizona State Football game, easy to get on the rail and drops you right by the stadium. We went to the Science Museum for the day - 2 blocks away. Took the light rail into Tempe to walk around. Park next door for $12/day or you can get a $19 in and out parking at the front desk. Pool on the third floor outside, to see roof views. Also has a large hot tub. Open until 10pm. We stayed on the 20th floor nice views of the city and beautiful sunrises.

Room Tip: Stay up high to see views of city. Beautiful day or night. Our son liked the glass elevator.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank ArizonaAZ1
Reviewed October 12, 2012 via mobile

Nice hotel across from the Phoenix Convention Center. Easy check in and check out. Clean rooms and great staff. Several places to eat with the Compass Room on the top floor. This resturant rotates and severs good food. If you stay here should check out this place.

• Stayed: October 2012