“Need decor updates and new staff”

Holiday Inn Phoenix-West
Ranked #90 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
Los Angeles, California
“Need decor updates and new staff”
Reviewed September 19, 2012

I can say that I have lessen my expectations of this hotel. I have stayed here a few times and can almost tell you how I would be treated as soon as I step in to the front desk. Every single time I check in, I'll stand there waiting for someone to help me, a "Hello" maybe. Oh no, they are too busy to check me in. And when they do, personality is colder than a freezer, straight face. If there was another Holiday Inn more west on the 10 fwy, I would gladly stay there. Unfortunately, there isn't.
And with the decor, they need a much needed upgrade. I know they went through renovations a few years back but I don't see the difference.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
gmphoenixwest, General Manager at Holiday Inn Phoenix-West, responded to this review, September 21, 2012
I apologize for your recent experience with my front desk staff. This is not what I expect from my staff. I have made a few changes and this should be corrected. Also, we did go thru renovations last year and more changes are in the plans for the upcoming year. Thank you again for your comments and bringing to my attention issues that are occuring at our hotel. Please give us another try on your next trip thru Phoenix.
Thanks, Mary Newland General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Tularosa, New Mexico
Reviewed July 19, 2012

Wanting to be on the West side of Phoenix we found this Hotel. We were greeted by friendly staff, assigned a pleasant room and found our way to the lounge. Again friendly staff and from all we met they had confidence in the in house dining. They were correct. The restraunt is worth going into even if you aren't staying there. Our steaks were very good, the garlic mashed potatoes were excellent. Nice presentation, gently steamed veggies. Afterwards the beds turned out to be so comfortable and breakfast was again way beyond typical hotel breakfast. All in all
a very nice break in our travels.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jeannie N
New Auburn, WI
Reviewed April 26, 2012

The hotel is dated and the mattresses/furniture need to be replaced. I've stayed here off and on over eight years, but refused to go back because of the heavy criminal activity in the neighborhood. Watching police helicopters shine spotlights over the neighborhood does not put me in the mood for a good night's sleep. The rooms overlook a drain culvert that the homeless use to push carts around and sleep. The bar/grill onsite is so-so, but is the safest choice as you don't need to leave the hotel. Parking is tight and a hassle.
The staff is friendly and helpful, but unless you really need to exit the 10 freeway and sleep, avoid this one. There are better alternatives a few miles down the road.

Room Tip: Ask for a low floor as the elevators are frequently out of order. Walking up four flights of stairs...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
gmphoenixwest, General Manager at Holiday Inn Phoenix-West, responded to this review, April 27, 2012
We appreciate your comments and we have just finished renovation on our lobby, pool, complimentary guest laundry facility and working on finishing all our rooms. We have one floor complete now. The Phoenix Police Department are working on cleaning this area up and it is improving and with their presence regularly in the area it helps keep the crime down. Thanks again and we do hope you give us a chance again in the future.

Travelers are raving about these Phoenix hotels

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed April 25, 2012

The hotel was going thru remodeling and that was probably why the rate was so good...it reeked of thinner or more accurate nail polish remover, almost over whelming but I am sure temporary. Decent bar, good bartender(ess) and front desk staff. Rooms are being upgraded but my room was a little on the older side but that happens. I look forward to trying it out again in 6months when they should be thru with remodeling.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank jeffdblak
Thank you for taking time out of your busy schedule to give us feedback. During your stay we were just completing the Safe Step tub renovation and tried to keep everyone away as much as possible. We working constantly on upgrading and updating our facility to better our guests. We appreciate you and do hope you will come back on your next trip.
USA
Reviewed March 20, 2012

We stayed here for 4 nights. The hotel is at 51st Street directly off of I-10. About a 5 minute drive to Maryvale for Spring Training...15-20 minutes for downtown, golf & other stadiums. Pretty easy to get to/from the airport from here.

Keep in mind, this is not a hotel to stay at if you like to hang out at the hotel. The rooms were nicely remodeled and were fine for sleeping. Just come with the realization that there is nothing else to do at the hotel or even within walking distance.

While the service at the front desk was excellent, the service at the hotel lounge/bar was abysmal. It took 30-45 minutes to get a drink, the bartenders did not even know how to make basic drinks and they were out of several common things (including Grey Goose, amaretto, etc!) If you wanted anything other than a basic bottle of beer, good luck. This was really too bad as the lounge looks quite nice with TVs, a pool table and a dartboard. Most hotel guests will want to hang out in the bar/lounge...so I hope the Holiday Inn will seek improvements here.

Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for your feedback and for staying with us. Yes we have made changes in our restaurant and bar and continue to improve on a daily basis to make our guests stay better and comfortable place to be. Please come again and see our current changes.
Reviewed March 19, 2012

We stayed at Holiday Inn West Phoenix for 4 nights March 12-16, 2012. My son and I were in town to catch Spring training games. We booked through Hotwire. Overall, we were happy with the hotel. The room was clean, and the property seemed well cared for. I called ahead and reserved a room with 2 double beds, and they were glad to accomodate the request. Sounds like a small thing, but I've had issues with this in the past, especially if you've booked online. Location was ideal for us, close to the Highway and reasonable access to everywhere we wanted to go. My only suggestion would be to find a way to divert the flow of the A/C, it blows directly on the person who sleeps in the bed closest to the unit.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Thank your for taking time out of your schedule to let us know how we are doing. We appreciate your business and look forward to your next stay when you are in town.
Gallatin, Tennessee
Reviewed March 19, 2012

We stayed in Phoenix on the west side to save some money. I don't know if it was worth it. I consider myself a hotel snob so take my review with a grain of salt. This Holiday Inn was updated and the rooms are nice. The air conditioning is the wall-based unit versus the automatic temp control. The exercise room is pathetic. There were only 5 dumbbells that looked like someone donated them from their house. They don't have a pantry where you can buy water, treats etc. They have vending machines. There is an in house bar and small restaurant. The food was bar food. I also found the parking spaces incredibly small. At least I was driving a rental but my travel partner always had to wait for me to back out before he could get in. The service was good, the staff friendly. I would not recommend this hotel for experienced business travelers.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Case Manager at Holiday Inn Phoenix-West, responded to this review, April 20, 2012
Dear JimgMN,

Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to leave us a candid review.
I would like to offer a sincere apology that the hotel did not meet your expectations..
While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that
you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Katie J
IHGCare
Also consider these accommodations in or near Phoenix
Comfort Inn I-10 West at 51st Ave
La Quinta Inn & Suites Phoenix I-10 West
Courtyard Phoenix West/Avondale
Best Western Tolleson Hotel
WoodSpring Suites Phoenix I-10 West
Comfort Suites Goodyear
Comfort Suites Goodyear
#2 of 9 in Goodyear

Been to Holiday Inn Phoenix-West? Share your experiences!