“The Extras Surprised Me”

Hilton Phoenix Airport
Ranked #14 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
Reviewed August 12, 2013

I was in town for just one night and looking for a bargain. I found it here. I suppose a Saturday night at a business / airport hotel in the middle of summer in PHX does not have people lined up to get in like a club on South Beach but the rate was as low as I have ever found at a Hilton hotel. Regardless of rate, I have expectations and for the most part, these were met.

In any business, 99% of what is done is the same between competitors. It is the 1% difference that may set you apart from the rest of the pack. Parking is free and ample. Check in was easy. A nice touch from the regular Hilton properties is that the water offered at the front desk was chilled. As a perpetual diamond, I have never encountered chilled water at check in. 1% difference. I deviated from my normal request of a high floor away from elevators with the intrigue of the King poolside/patio walkout rooms which is what I received (108). The hallways and my room had a stale smell. Kind of like smoke but not smoke. I almost requested another room but since the same smell was in the hallway, I decided it was probably not just my room. My bedding and pillows did not have the smell so I stayed where booked. It could be that this property is a little older, having a few extra cycles than a new property or perhaps it is a particular cleaner they use. My wife always says I have a nose like Labrador retriever so with it not being unbearable, I stayed put. Despite the location to PHX and planes taking off, I did not hear them within the room.

The shower had very nice water pressure which is always a welcomed feature. The bathroom amenities were the usual Hilton fare with no extras such as mouthwash or shower gel at this location. The Wi-Fi was sketchy and kept cutting in and out. I needed to do something on Delta.com and was unable to complete the task on my tablet forcing me to boot up my laptop and use the wired connection. If I was not a Diamond and had to pay for the wireless, I would have been greatly disappointed. This property still uses the old iBahn internet service which I have not seen in a hotel in ages.

I found the patio very nice but for a couple of oddities. 1) You cannot lock the sliding door from the outside so if you intend to go to the pool, you either leave it unlocked or go around via the hallway. 2) While the room is a walkout, the pool area is fenced so you have to cut through some grass/dirt to get to around to the front of the fence to enter the pool. The fence may be a safety thing or an attempt to keep people out in the middle of the night but it defeats the benefit of being ‘poolside’ if this is what you are after. With any hotel having poolside patios and balconies, you can bet that it is a refuge where people go from their rooms to smoke. This may also be the source of the stale air/smell in the room as it wafts back. Smokers never realize that even though they are outside on a patio, the smell drifts/wafts and will go INTO the room enough to leave a stale smell even if you are outside when smoking. To a nonsmoker, WE can smell it when we get there. The pool itself was very pleasant with places to get out of the sun if you want. In the 1% difference category here was a nice water cooler to stay hydrated while outside. The hot tub was also very nice. The entire pool area was very clean although pool towels were lacking on both of my visits to the pool.

Upon check-in, they also provide Diamonds with a free appetizer which made for a nice snack after arrival. I had some wings and they were excellent, big and juicy. Others eating around me also had very nice looking dishes. The breakfast offered to a Diamond was exceptional. This particular breakfast had all of the regular items plus a waffle iron, carved ham and an omelet station. Free for me, I saw the price at $16.95 which is actually pretty low for a Hilton breakfast buffet at a business property. Besides the spread, the staff was great. Watching them attack a large dirty table when the group left together vs. just leaving it to the server that had that table was impressive. They had a definite camaraderie and sense of teamwork with each other but also with the guests offering help wherever they could. +1 for the breakfast and staff making it happen.

The fitness center is not huge but very clean and had good, functional equipment. 3 treadmills, dumb-bells, 1 bike and a couple of elliptical machines. The 1% difference here was moist towels available in a cooler in addition to the dry towels. Again, something I have not found at any other property.

The location is great with terrific proximity to PHX. It is also very close to go to a Diamondback game or over to Tempe and ASU. Nothing seemed to be in walking distance for food other than the hotel restaurant.

This property definitely has some great additional touches that make up for any of the deficiencies brought on by the age on this old bird. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank orr333
General_Manager04, General Manager at Hilton Phoenix Airport, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2013

Thank you for such a detailed review of the Hilton Phoenix Airport and for being such a loyal Diamond Member to the Hilton Brand. I am delighted to be able to take this to my staff. You have pointed out many great benefits of staying with us and we appreciate the kind words and think it’s wonderful we were able to meet expectations. We plan to continue to use reviews like this one as a good way to capture insight into the ongoing operations at our property and address the smaller things that may not always come up and we are fortunate to read your honest review. We appreciate your business and hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed August 3, 2013

Hotel staff are very welcoming and nice. The rooms are quiet and very comfortable. The beds sleep great. The breakfast in the restaurant is excellent and so is the staff. Only downsides are the fitness center is small and no frig in the guest rooms. Other than that...hotel is super.

1  Thank Michael B
General_Manager04, General Manager at Hilton Phoenix Airport, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2013

We appreciate you taking the time to review your experience with us. All of us here at the Hilton Phoenix Airport are delighted to read the positive feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back!

Reviewed July 31, 2013 via mobile

If you have to stay near the airport or are driving, this is a good location. As with most hotels located near airports, you're either dependent on the hotel restaurant or driving elsewhere.

The poolside rooms all have balconies or patios. We were on the first floor and had a patio. There were people in the pool but once in the rooms we couldn't hear them.

It is a nice property at a very reasonable price

• Stayed: July 2013
General_Manager04, General Manager at Hilton Phoenix Airport, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2013

Thank you for choosing the Hilton Phoenix Airport. We appreciate your nice note and hope to see you again in the future!

Reviewed July 30, 2013

I recently had business in Sedona and drove down to Phoenix to fly out and wanted to stay somewhere in town to be able to just get up and get on a plane. This hotel is 1-1/2 miles away and offers a free shuttle every 1/2 hour. Very convenient! I did eat dinner at the restaurant and must say it was a huge disappointment. The salmon was way overcooked; but, I was starving so I didn't complain; but, it is the worst food I have ever had at the Hilton. I noticed people raved about breakfast but I didn't try it because of my experience with the salmon.

It was a good stay for a business trip; but, not the best Hilton. Next time in Phoenix, I will try another one.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for your feedback. We are truly sorry that your experience with our restaurant was unfortunately not so good. We hope you are able to make it back to let us prove this experience wrong as we do hold high standards to the quality of our food and service. Thank you for pointing out our very convenient location to the airport. We hope you give us another opportunity to wow you in the future.

Reviewed July 30, 2013 via mobile

Typical rooms. Comfy beds and pillows. Helpful if undermanned staff. Excellent buffet breakfast. Wifi behind pay wall--big negative. 6 minutes by free van shuttle. Some had to wait for 2nd van trip at midnight as our US Airways flight had many missed connections

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank malonemi

Thank you for reviewing your stay with the Hilton Phoenix Airport. We appreciate you telling us about your experience at our property; and we are pleased that we were able to accommodate you due to your missed flight. Please keep us in mind the next time you are in the Phoenix area.

Reviewed July 29, 2013

Unfortunately I did not have the opportunity to extend my stay at the hotel, but I can highly recommend it. The services and amenities were excellent, and the employees were very helpful. The business center only has two computers. Under normal circumstances this is not a problem as I bring my own. However printing my boarding pass was challenging. Only one computer prints to the computer in the center and that was tied up by a gentleman who was surfing the net. The wait was rather long. I had to come back several times.

1  Thank Elaine F
General_Manager04, General Manager at Hilton Phoenix Airport, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2013

Thank you for your kind note about the Hilton Phoenix Airport. I truly appreciate the comments in regards to our amenities and staff and I look forward to sharing this review with my team. Please know, if ever in the future you need anything printed off, especially your boarding pass, we would be more than happy to help you at the front desk. We hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed July 25, 2013

Very pleased with the decor and layout of the hotel. Breakfast was the best of any hotel stay. I certanly enjoyed shopping in the gift shop and selected three items. We said we would like to come and stay again soon .

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank C.B. L
General_Manager04, General Manager at Hilton Phoenix Airport, responded to this reviewResponded July 26, 2013

We appreciate your great review of the Hilton Phoenix Airport. We are happy to know that you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future!