“Good location - terrible staff” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hilton Phoenix Airport

Hilton Phoenix Airport
Ranked #15 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
Kent
“Good location - terrible staff”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2011

Stayed for one night. Waited 50 minutes for free shuttle which never arrived. We ended up paying for s taxi to the hotel.

Check in staff scruffy & unfriendly. We requested them to refund our cab fare which they agreed to. However this didn't happen & an unhelpful & rude manager called Kirsten declined to assist the following morning. There is clear lack of communication between the staff & their customer service towards their Hhonors members is poor.

Rooms fine - basic but clean

• Stayed July 2011
      Location
      Rooms
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
KerstinRadelow, Manager at Hilton Phoenix Airport, responded to this review, August 5, 2011
Hebridian

I want to apologize for the inconvenience you were caused during your stay at our property. It was not our intention to make you wait at the Airport for your shuttle. I will certainly follow up with my staff to ensure this does not happen again to our valued guests. We appreciate your loyalty to the Hilton Brand and hope that you enjoyed your stay in Phoenix.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
New Mexico
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2011

I had to cancel my pre-paid reservation due to being hospitalized, I sent in the required papers to get reimbursed, have not had any contact with them since I did this.

I rebooked my reservation with them again this was a stopover going to Hawaii, one night and on the trip back we were going to stay 3 nights.
The one night stay was terrible , the internet would not work in my room , went to front desk about problem they told me to go to the lounge, which would be ok but I had my granddaughter with me and a lounge at night was no place for children. I went outside and worked which in phoenix was let’s say hot. The noise level was very loud and someone kept banging on our door.
We got up early and went to airport just to get out of hotel. I decided not to stay there on our return trip and went to say at the Marriott Courtyard which was lovely.
I was contacted by a manager at Hilton and that is the last time I have had contact with anyone.
I canceled my Hilton Honors card and also my cc.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Salem, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2011

I have to give a shout-out about this property and staff. I recently spent some time in the Phoenix/Scottsdale and flew in one day prior to my scheduled vacation and needed a room for one night. Looking on the hiltonhhonors.com site for a property with a good rate, this one won out. Shuttle service to and from the hotel is complimentary and is minutes from the airport. When I arrived and called for the shuttle, the driver had just dropped off and was at the designated pick-up location within minutes.

The staff at the front desk were warm (no pun intended as the temps were well above the 100 degree mark) and welcoming, and gave me a brief run down of the hotel and executive lounge (being HiltonHHonors Gold I was able to take advantage of the lounge for breakfast and evening appetizers). My room was on the fourth floor which is the HiltonHHonors level.

I was impressed with the executive lounge and nice breakfast spread. It offered the usual continental breakfast with several hot items, complimentary as a Gold Honors’ member. Staff was very gracious and accommodating. The evening appetizers were more than veggies and dip, cheese and crackers! Included were some delicious southwestern chicken wings, a great vegetable soup, additional hot items, and dessert selection. Non-alcoholic beverages were complimentary. I appreciated access to computer in the lounge, complimentary. The lounge has two computers with a shared printer, and internet access. This allowed time to catch up on email and other work requiring a printer. Sometimes an iPhone just isn’t enough! I appreciated having access to the executive lounge (which is 24/7 by the way and only staffed during the breakfast and evening hour). During the day bottled water is available.

My room exceeded my expectations, as I was upgraded to a junior suite. This wasn’t an actual “suite” with separate bedroom and living room areas. It was much larger than the standard rooms, with an oversize chair and ottoman, sofa, two side chairs and table, and roman tub and separate shower in the bathroom. The wet bar area was more than adequate and stocked with my complimentary bottles of water upon arrival. I appreciated the extra space to spread out during my stay. The bed was heavenly, and with the down pillows, I’ve never slept so well in a hotel as I did at the Hilton Phoenix Airport. The Hilton Suite Dreams Serta mattress is heavenly; and, with the down pillows, I’ve never slept so well in a hotel as I did at the Hilton Phoenix Airport.

The outdoor pool area was nice, with plenty of towels and lounges for relaxing in the sun. Not many were poolside during the time I was there, as temperatures were well into the 100’s! I checked out the fitness center and found it to be good for typical workouts.

I did not eat in the on-site restaurant, as the executive lounge provided more than adequate food for my one-night stay.

The only downside for this hotel is the lack of restaurants and shops within walking distance. Unless you have an automobile, or take the complimentary airport shuttle back to Sky Harbor, transfer to the PHX Shuttle to the Metro Light Rail over to Tempe or central Phoenix, you’re isolated. Remember, this is an airport hotel.

Kudos and a big shout out to the shuttle drivers, front desk staff, and executive lounge staff for making my stay great! I highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Dale S
Ascot, Berkshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2011

Nice hotel though the shuttle to and from the airport is a bit hit and miss given the sheer number of folks who want to take it, the fact that it only runs twice an hour and that the alternative involves a $16 cab ride (minimum fare to and from the airport - what a rip-off).

I stayed in a room far away from the registration desk which I didn't mind given the peace and quiet that it afforded me, plus the four minute walk did me good. The room was ok; nice bed, workspace and TV but alas with the tiniest bathroom you have ever seen. I managed to use it ok but it did feel cramped.

Dinner at the restaurant was nice and the servers smiled continually throughout their service. The bar serves a great margarita, too. The gym on the ground floor, while not huge, did the job well and was not too busy at 6am.

The executive floor lounge serves an OK breakfast. Unfortunately, it offers lots of processed food, but also fresh coffee and a nice fruit platter (though it does take a while to get replenished, so be quick!).

I didn't have time to use the pool, but should I return, I will do next time.

In all, it is a good hotel that serves the Sky Harbor PHX hotel well. I would just question whether it is worthy of a Hilton status and should be rebranded as a Hilton Garden Inn.

Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Lake Havasu City, AZ
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2011

If you have sensitive skin or are picky about your shower, you need to read this.

My sons and I stayed here one night in order to catch a VERY early flight to Denver. The property itself was beautiful and the room was clean and the beds comfortable. My only complaint was the shower - I have never stayed at a hotel (high or low end) with a showerhead that could not be adjusted. The water came out HARD, like needles impaling your skin. Both my sons and I have VERY sensitive skin, and the shower was literally painful for us. The intensity of the stream could not be turned down - just the temperature. Not to mention, five minutes into the shower, you were standing in six inches of water because the tub didn't drain. it was the most miserable shower experience we have ever had.

My son was also disappointed with the wireless internet - he could not connect in the room, and the only "hot spot" in the hotel was a small area close to the bar downstairs. If you wanted to use the hotel business center, the internet access was not free. However, you can print your boarding passes for free, which was great.

Upon checkout, I mentioned all this to the clerk, who was VERY kind. She apologized and said she was not familiar with the showerheads, but she would send Engineering to the room to check it out and to fix the drain. She also said when we stayed there on our return from Denver, she would comp us our breakfasts or give us a suite if one was available. I appreciated her empathetic attitude and the time she took to place several notes on our stay, and she placed notes on our future reservation as well.

Upon our return, we were comp'd our breakfasts the next day. We went to the room and before unpacking, I immediately turned on the water to see if the tub and sink drained. They did - however the shower was the same. This time, I literally stood on the side of the tub and examined the showerhead. There was no way to turn down or adjust anything. I called the front desk, briefly repeated our issue from a week ago, and the clerk said he would send Engineering to show how to work the shower. We waited for a little over ten minutes, and the phone rang. It was the manager, who apologized and explained there was no way to adjust the shower stream. I told him I was sorry, but we could not stay here.

What made this even more unsettling was the fact it was now close to 11:00 at night and we were exhausted from our trip. The Hilton staff were very understanding, and I was sorry we could not stay.

Unfortunately, I booked both nights here with Priceline, so I do not expect a refund for the night we did not stay.

Room Tip: Ask for away from elevators
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2011

This property is very close to Skyharbor Airport. the shuttle was there to pick me up in a matter of minutes. The driver was very courteous and safe. The hotel is out of way, but I liked that! It was very quiet! I enjoyed opening my balcony sliding door and listening to the birds every morning!
Check in was a breeze and the desk associate was very helpful in finding a great room location.
We were there with two teenagers and they loved the pool! It was very clean and the staff kept it well supplied with water and fresh towel!
This property is close to the major freeways, and makes it very easy to get around the Phoenix/Tempe area.
The only negative I can say is that we left our rooms late one day (about 11am) to go to Chase Field for a baseball game. When we returned that night, neither of our two rooms had been cleaned.
The wifi was good, but at $10 a day, I think was a little expensive. We only used it a few hours a day. I think I will get a mifi for future trips!
All in all we enjoyed our stay here and would stay here again in a heartbeat!

Room Tip: Get a room with the balcony facing the outside!
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
General_Manager04, General Manager at Hilton Phoenix Airport, responded to this review, June 22, 2011
Dear Love2Travel,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel on TripAdvisor. We truly appreciate your comments and know that they will assist other travelers as well. I will pass along your kind compliments to the staff regarding the shuttle service and front desk service. I must say i completely share your disappointment in your rooms not being cleaned while you were away. If you'd like to call me I will check into it further.
I'm delighted that you and your teenagers enjoyed the pool. We are very excited that we are going to refurbish that area this September with new plantscape, furnishings and fresh paint. I hope you will all come back to see it!
When you do return you can always get free internet in the restaurant or lounge which is a fun spot to grab a quick meal or watch a sports event. Until you return, safe travels to all of you and thanks again for using TripAdvisor.
Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2011

REALLY liked this place. Customer service was top-notch. From the shuttle driver who briefed me on the property on the way over, to the check-in desk agent who offered a bottle of water while I was being checked in...and especially to the attendant in the concierge lounge on Saturday evening who was very friendly and helpful. Great staff all around.

Clean, comfortable room. OK, maybe a chair on the balcony would have been nice. But otherwise a great room. (Room 260).

Steak tacos at the bar and a couple of local beers hit the spot. Bartender was pleasant enough and the prices very reasonable I thought.

Can't imagine a negative about the place other than regretting I was only on the property for 12 hours. Next time I'll have to stay longer.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Location
      Rooms
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
General_Manager04, General Manager at Hilton Phoenix Airport, responded to this review, May 31, 2011
Dear IrishFan,
We too wish that you could have spent more than twelve hours on your recent stay but we will look forward to you return visit. We're delighted that you enjoyed your stay and thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on TripAdvisor. Nothing tells our story as well as our customers. I'm glad you had a chance to visit RimRock Bar and Grill with our open kitchen that serves some of the best southwestern and American classic menu items in the valley.
Safe travels to you IrishFan and come back soon!
Best regards,