“Huge Disappointment!”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Phoenix Airport
Ranked #78 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
“Huge Disappointment!”
Reviewed August 9, 2005

My family joined me on a business trip to Phoenix so we could tour around and take in the Grand Canyon. We arrived Saturday afternoon and after checking into a third floor room, we immediately set out on a tour. We arrived back at the hotel late Saturday evening to wake up Sunday morning to set out for the Grand Canyon tour. As I was getting ready, I noticed something under the living room end table. Looking closer, it was dog poop and NO, we didn’t have a dog with us. After a couple of calls to the front desk, they sent someone to clean it up.
Coming back from the Grand Canyon, there was a note under our door. The note read that the pool was going to closed for the rest of the week. The note also read that “If you have further questions or would like to relocate to another property, please contact a guest service agent”. I approached the night manager and asked him to relocate me to another property. His response was that it wasn’t his responsibility to find me another hotel. After much conversation, he ended up giving me the phone number to the Embassy Suites Phoenix North. Since I would be at work the next morning, the night manager did say that they would assist my wife and kids in getting our luggage to the Phoenix North via the hotel bus.
The next morning I talked to the manager about moving our luggage. His response was that they were not going to move our luggage since it was outside of their three-mile driving limit. Needless to say, this impacted my Monday morning business meeting. By the way, the morning manager said that they allow pets on the first two floors.

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
Reviewed July 21, 2005

There are other hotels in the Phoenix airport area and you'd be well served to stay at most of them.
This hotel is in a neighborhood in need of urban renewal, as evidenced by the fact that there are no other hotels in the immediate area whereas there are a number of bail bondsmen, gentlemen's clubs, low-rent apartements, etc....
The pool was "out of order".

The AC in my room didn't keep the room cool, likely due to the outside temperatures of 115+ during the day and 100+ at 10 PM at night.

I didn't rent a car and asked to have a taxi called. Both times a private Lincoln Town Car pulled up to take me to my destination. The rate was $3 per mile, which I expect is much higher than the going cab rate. My business took me over towards Tempe which is about 11-12 miles away, which futher underscored how inconvenient this hotel was.

If this is the original Embassy Suites location as I heard, its time to shut it down since it doesn't meet the standards of any other I've stayed.

• Stayed July 2005, traveled on business
5 Thank M_from_Atlanta

Travelers are raving about these Phoenix hotels

Reviewed April 8, 2005

I read some of these reviews at I was suprised at what was written. The hotel itself is not located in the prime of areas. The exterior itself also appears to be in need of a good painting, but when you walk into the hotel and it's courtyard, you forget about everything outside. The staff itself were very friendly and personable. The service at the desk and happy hour was absolutely fabulous. Many of the managers and staff knew some of the guests which lead me to believe they have many repeat customers. The rooms were very clean, food was good quality. Some areas are in need of a renovation, but for the price paid of $159 a night, this was a great stay! I also found out from one of the desk clerks that this was the original Embassy Suites! Everything was in proper working order during my stay. My toilet was acting funny when I checked in, but after I contacted the staff, it was fixed in no time. I even got a call back after I checked in to see if there was anything else they could do for me! They actually seemed happy to have us there. Good place for your family, it is convenient and close to the Biltmore and downtown. They even provide shuttle transportation.

• Stayed April 2005
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Huntsville, Alabama
Reviewed April 8, 2005

Agree with previous poster, if you're used to Embassy Suites, this one might let you down a little. You do get the space (i.e 2 room suite), mini kitchenette, 2 TVs, cooked to order breakfast and happy hour etc... Our room was clean. The letdown might be the look of exterior corridors with bare concrete slabs facing an open courtyard (i.e no roof). However, we stayed there for 2 nights when we first arrived in Phoenix on 18 March and it was OK. The open courtyard actually looks pretty nice. On a normal scale of 1 to 10, I would give this place a 7. On a Embassy Suites scale, I would probably rate this place a 2 or 3. We stay in Embassy Suites all the time and this place is probably near the bottom of their scale.

• Stayed March 2005
3 Thank Bamaman
Reviewed March 29, 2005

Stayed here during Spring Training. Pool heat broken for several weeks. No a/c available during stay. Neighborhood run down. Rooms are standard Embassy Suite and have been updated but common areas are dirty and heavily used. staff is bored and unattentive, the exception is the overworked/stressed out cooks, who must be serving out some sort of punishment. At $189-215 a night no real bargain. An advantage is that is close to the Spring Training Stadiums(Giants and A's) , the also have an onsite restaurant for a late meal ,and they give you free booze at nights. So if you are looking to pay more for less and get drunk this is your hotel. not good for families or people looking for a nice place to stay. Lit Tiki Torches at night are a nice effect but should get pool,A/C working

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Meridian, ID
Reviewed March 16, 2005

We stayed here for four days in March 2004 while catching a few Spring Training games. If you are used to staying at Embassy Suites, this one may disappoint you since it is older and in a somewhat rundown neighborhood. There are no good dining options nearby. Because of that, we ate one meal at the on-site restaurant which turned out to be acceptable. However, for the price we paid, this was a great hotel in a central location to all the Spring Training Venues. Even the Rangers/Royals in Suprise were only 30 minutes away. The room was clean and since we were on the side away from the street, it was also quiet. If you are in Phoenix for other reasons like a weekend retreat to relax at a spa or get away from it all, you should spend the extra money to stay in Scottsdale or at a resort. However, if you are looking for a good deal on an Embassy in Phoenix, this is the one.

• Stayed March 2004
1 Thank BoiseBaylorBears
Reviewed March 12, 2005

Got this room using Priceline - bid $50. Location was okay since it's close to the airport but the hotel and the room was excellent! It was clean, spacious with king bed, 2 tv's, clean, microwave, fridge, seperate bar sink, had complimentary water and cookies. Sad to missed the cooked to order breakfast but I'm sure that would have been great too!

Stayed January 2005