“Don't stay at this Embassy Suites hotel”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Phoenix Airport
Ranked #82 of 173 Hotels in Phoenix
Reviewed July 21, 2005

There are other hotels in the Phoenix airport area and you'd be well served to stay at most of them.
This hotel is in a neighborhood in need of urban renewal, as evidenced by the fact that there are no other hotels in the immediate area whereas there are a number of bail bondsmen, gentlemen's clubs, low-rent apartements, etc....
The pool was "out of order".

The AC in my room didn't keep the room cool, likely due to the outside temperatures of 115+ during the day and 100+ at 10 PM at night.

I didn't rent a car and asked to have a taxi called. Both times a private Lincoln Town Car pulled up to take me to my destination. The rate was $3 per mile, which I expect is much higher than the going cab rate. My business took me over towards Tempe which is about 11-12 miles away, which futher underscored how inconvenient this hotel was.

If this is the original Embassy Suites location as I heard, its time to shut it down since it doesn't meet the standards of any other I've stayed.

• Stayed: July 2005, traveled on business
5  Thank M_from_Atlanta
Write a ReviewReviews (1,127)

Clifton, AZ
Reviewed April 8, 2005

I read some of these reviews at I was suprised at what was written. The hotel itself is not located in the prime of areas. The exterior itself also appears to be in need of a good painting, but when you walk into the hotel and it's courtyard, you forget about everything outside. The staff itself were very friendly and personable. The service at the desk and happy hour was absolutely fabulous. Many of the managers and staff knew some of the guests which lead me to believe they have many repeat customers. The rooms were very clean, food was good quality. Some areas are in need of a renovation, but for the price paid of $159 a night, this was a great stay! I also found out from one of the desk clerks that this was the original Embassy Suites! Everything was in proper working order during my stay. My toilet was acting funny when I checked in, but after I contacted the staff, it was fixed in no time. I even got a call back after I checked in to see if there was anything else they could do for me! They actually seemed happy to have us there. Good place for your family, it is convenient and close to the Biltmore and downtown. They even provide shuttle transportation.

• Stayed: April 2005
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 8, 2005

Agree with previous poster, if you're used to Embassy Suites, this one might let you down a little. You do get the space (i.e 2 room suite), mini kitchenette, 2 TVs, cooked to order breakfast and happy hour etc... Our room was clean. The letdown might be the look of exterior corridors with bare concrete slabs facing an open courtyard (i.e no roof). However, we stayed there for 2 nights when we first arrived in Phoenix on 18 March and it was OK. The open courtyard actually looks pretty nice. On a normal scale of 1 to 10, I would give this place a 7. On a Embassy Suites scale, I would probably rate this place a 2 or 3. We stay in Embassy Suites all the time and this place is probably near the bottom of their scale.

• Stayed: March 2005
3  Thank Bamaman
Boise,Id
Reviewed March 29, 2005

Stayed here during Spring Training. Pool heat broken for several weeks. No a/c available during stay. Neighborhood run down. Rooms are standard Embassy Suite and have been updated but common areas are dirty and heavily used. staff is bored and unattentive, the exception is the overworked/stressed out cooks, who must be serving out some sort of punishment. At $189-215 a night no real bargain. An advantage is that is close to the Spring Training Stadiums(Giants and A's) , the also have an onsite restaurant for a late meal ,and they give you free booze at nights. So if you are looking to pay more for less and get drunk this is your hotel. not good for families or people looking for a nice place to stay. Lit Tiki Torches at night are a nice effect but should get pool,A/C working

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 16, 2005

We stayed here for four days in March 2004 while catching a few Spring Training games. If you are used to staying at Embassy Suites, this one may disappoint you since it is older and in a somewhat rundown neighborhood. There are no good dining options nearby. Because of that, we ate one meal at the on-site restaurant which turned out to be acceptable. However, for the price we paid, this was a great hotel in a central location to all the Spring Training Venues. Even the Rangers/Royals in Suprise were only 30 minutes away. The room was clean and since we were on the side away from the street, it was also quiet. If you are in Phoenix for other reasons like a weekend retreat to relax at a spa or get away from it all, you should spend the extra money to stay in Scottsdale or at a resort. However, if you are looking for a good deal on an Embassy in Phoenix, this is the one.

• Stayed: March 2004
1  Thank BoiseBaylorBears
New Jersey
Reviewed March 12, 2005

Got this room using Priceline - bid $50. Location was okay since it's close to the airport but the hotel and the room was excellent! It was clean, spacious with king bed, 2 tv's, clean, microwave, fridge, seperate bar sink, had complimentary water and cookies. Sad to missed the cooked to order breakfast but I'm sure that would have been great too!

Stayed: January 2005
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 20, 2004

We stayed in a 2 bed suite last weekend to attend a wedding reception in Pheonix. My experience began poorly when I called from the car to get directions the day of my arrival. They advised me that my confirmation number was not valid and that they didn't have a reservation for me. I gave them the name of the person who I talked to and he said, "That's me." To make a long story short, I had to make a new reservation and they gave me a new confirmation #, which was very similar the one I had originally. (I will be checking my credit card statement to see if I was charged for two rooms) I knew they had lost my first reservation. Not a good start. We arrived, checked in, made our way up the (dirty) elevator to our room on the 4th floor. The pool looked nice but over crowded with screaming people. Our 2 bed suite was clean and spacious, and included a kitchenette and living room with big TV. We had no problems with the room itself. The next morning we went to the "complimentary breakfast" area that we knew ended at 10:30 (we weren't hungry, just looking for some coffee.) I walked through the (open) door at 10:31 and a man quickly snapped, "We're closed!" I softly asked where I could get a cup of coffee and he again snapped, "We're closed!" He was so rude and the way he raised his voice at us, I found to be totally unnecessary. All in all, I would say the hotel room itself was pretty nice for the $110 we paid, but the rest of the experience was just too unpleasant for us to return there. I've had many good stays at Embassy Suites, but this one just doesn't hold up to their reputation. They need to fire their current staff and start over from scratch. Maybe then I'd return.

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member