Embassy Suites by Hilton Phoenix Airport
Ranked #80 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
Reviewed April 30, 2009

We stayed at this hotel overnight on our way back from Sedona (we were flying out of Sky Harbor the next day). My first impression of the place wasn’t great as it had a “motel feel” and not what I would have expected of an Embassy Suites. It’s clearly an older property and it also bordered on a questionable area of town, although the main strip that it was situated on seemed fine, and there was decent security. That said, the room was large and with a king bed, a kitchenette and separate sitting area. It did seem a bit dated, and the cinder block walls didn’t exactly add to the charm, but it was clean and spacious. As other posters have noted, temperature control was an issue, and our room was rather stuffy. However, the complimentary made-to-order breakfast was good and what I saw of the pool area seemed nice enough. I probably wouldn’t have been thrilled if we were spending our whole vacation here, but for one night it was acceptable. I do think that the pictures on the website are a bit misleading, though, and make it look more luxurious than it really is. As a side note, my husband discovered a mysterious $50 extra charge on our credit card originating from this hotel. It wasn’t on our bill, so whether it was an error or something more sinister, I’m not sure. In any event, make sure to check your statement carefully.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,102)

Reviewed April 1, 2009

We chose this hotel because we had stayed at Embassy Suites in Orange County before which was a great experience. The reviews for this hotel had us a bit concerned, but we didn't experience any of the negativity listed in other reviews. This is an older hotel and was not a luxurious at the Orange County Embassy Suites, but we only paid $159 a night during spring training - which was well worth the price. The rooms were very comfortable and large, the bed was great, the shower was hot, the room service was fast/hot/affordable. The bathroom was very small and located in the bedroom, which was an odd floor plan and might not work well if you have kids staying on the pull out couch in the living room (I wouldn't want the kiddies going in and out of the bedroom all night.) We did not have control of our own thermostat -- the hotel controls the cooling/heating system when the weather is 50 to 70. It was GREAT weather while we were there, but I couldn't help but wonder how it would have been if had been warmer at night or if it had gotten down to 55 degrees and we couldn't turn the heat on -- but we lucked out.

The room included made to order breakfast and a two hour reception every evening -- you can't beat that for this price. I expected wine and iced tea at the reception - it was open bar with sodas, beer, wine, mixed drinks and snacks, for no charge.

This was defintely a three star hotel at a decent price. We stayed at a three star across town the night before (we had extended our stay unexpectedly) for only $40 less - one room, no suite, no room service, no breakfast and no reception -- this place was worth the money and it was great having a living room with a sitting area for a week long vacation.

There is a Hilton Suites down the road that costs about $60 to $70 more a night. If the older hotel, small bathroom, no thermostat and lack of luxury is going to bother you, you'd probably want to pop for the extra money. I would recommend this hotel to others, but MIGHT be apprehensive during warm weather.

Oh two more things - the pool area was very nice... very well kept, new furniture and fresh towels were put out constantly. The area of town isn't great... definitely not the best part of town... but the hotel had guards in the parking lot, even when we got back to the room at 2 a.m., the guard was walking around the cars checking the area out.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 30, 2009

I guess I am confused as to why people complained about this hotel. As I am reading some of the other reviews about noise and bad service, are you sure you stayed here? There were at least 5 youth boys travelling basketball teams that were in our hotel and I had no idea they were even staying here until we saw them at breakfast. Yeah, it may not be in the Beverly Hills of Phoenix, but the staff here made seem as if it were. We travelled with a 10 year old and a 5 month old and had Absolutely no problems while we were here. We checked in after 10pm and with a tired baby, we figured that we were in for a long night getting her back on a schedule. The staff was quick with a baby crib and very complimentary about our baby and our needs when she arrived at our room . The mgrs cocktail hour is great after a long day or sighseeing and busy stuff in Phoenix. And nothing like sitting outside of that bar overlooking the courtyard where the pool is and seeing the mountains off in the distance. The pool area was clean and always stocked with fresh towels. The breakfast parlor was also clean and well kept. The chefs keep the place hoping and could always put a smile on your face. They went above and beyond their duty to take care of my son's personal requests for his breakfast. I do recommend though to check their busy times as the wait can be long for the grill portion of the breakfast. We missed one day there due to a late start that morning and ended up walking next door to a local restaurant.
Overall, our stay and the service we received was well over the top. I want to be sure that if we can travel with a baby and be quite accommodated with our needs, then you can too. We will definitely come back to this hotel on our next trip!!

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed February 10, 2009

Well, this hotel did not quite live up to what I thought an Embassy Suites should be. Some of the staff was extremely friendly and accomodating, generally the staff during the day. The night staff was a little more hit and miss. We stayed a week on business. My room was exceptionally hot at night, and being on the second floor overlooking a parking lot, I did not want to leave my windows open. The AC did not work. On my last night I finally called to complain, at 10pm, and the "engineer" came with a fan. The hotel was nowhere near full, they could easily have moved me. Finally, when I couldn't lock my sliding door, I called again and was moved.

The hotel seemed reasonably clean, however, I developed a bacterial infection in my eyes (similar to pinkeye). It appears to be a 1970s apartment complex that was turned into a hotel--and not renovated in this century for sure.

The free breakfast is decent; the chefs who cook to order were all incredibly nice and efficient. The hotel restaurant was ok as well, nothing terrific.

The workout room was actually one of the nicest I have ever seen. Did not seem to fit with the rest of the facility.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed December 30, 2008

The Embassy Suites has a great pool area, breakfast extraordinare and great suites. The rooms are large and have microwave, refrigerator and very comfortable. An outside entrance to pool and breakfast area. Specially prepared omelets, with a flair from the omelet artist are part entertainment and great tasting. We visited in December and there were people swimming in immaculate pool and hot tub surrounded by great landscaped. Grocery stores close and easy to find. Bed comfortable, showers well maintained. Easy to relax after a long day of travel, beautiful surroundings

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed December 13, 2008

I had to book a last minute business trip to Phoenix and selected this location. Of course, I was in a rush and did not check Trip Advisor before hand. After I read the reviews, I nearly cancelled my stay. I am so happy that I did not do that. This property really over delivered! Complimentary airport shuttle and complimentary local area shuttle was just so convenient. Don, the driver, was amazing, friendly and caring, who remembered every detail about where I was going, and took good care of me. The 2 lovely ladies at check in were friendly and ever so helpful. My suite was immaculate and quiet. The bed was one of the best and I slept better than I have in any hotel. Complimentary Breakfast and Evening Cocktail Gathering were excellent. Good coffee is my hot button and their coffee was pretty good! Every staff member except the person who checked me out, went over and above and seem to truly love their work. I wouldn't recommend taking a long walk in this neighborhood but I felt totally safe at the hotel. There is a 7/11 across the street which was fine. My suite had a refrigerator and microwave which was a great touch to store and heat up left overs. This property is 2 miles south of The Biltmore Shopping Center and the drivers will take you from door to door. I did not hear a sound at night so the construction was solid. Kudos to Embassy Suites on Thomas Road for delighting this very picky traveler.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed April 9, 2008

Did not expect an Embassy Suites to be so.....crummy (at $219/night). There is a sign in the lobby telling us how "excited" they are to announce renovations but I think "demolition" might be needed. The place is old--with lots of new, yellow (ugh) paint, but old nonetheless. My room was large (as expected) and had plenty of desk space (necessary for business work) and the kitchen was plenty adequate. There was a pall of shabbiness (painted big girl-room furniture in bedroom--puh-leeeeease) not brightened by the dim lighting. But there is plenty of brightness from the klieg lights in the parking lot that made me close my curtains even though I was on the top floor. Fitness room has been moved (no mention in the room-had to wander around to find it!) to a sleeping room with a bare bulb dangling from the ceiling. Would have found another hotel, but am only here for 2 days. Breakfast was excellent (as expected, and greatly appreciated).

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank Motowners
embassysuites, Front Office Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Phoenix Airport, responded to this reviewResponded January 16, 2009

Thank you for your review. I would like to inform you that since your stay at our property we have completed our NEW state of the art Precor Fitness Center. It contains the following equipment: 3 treadmills, 3 elliptical crosstrainers, 1 recumbent cycle, dumbells, leg sled, weight training system, 2 adjustable benches, ab x abdominal bench, strength trainer, stability balls, bosu balance trainer, medicine balls, foam rolles and streatch mats.