“In need of a remodel, overpriced but the staff was great.”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Phoenix Airport
Ranked #79 of 175 Hotels in Phoenix
Saint Johns, Arizona
“In need of a remodel, overpriced but the staff was great.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2013 via mobile

1. Hotel is in need of a remodel.
2. Price per night too high for what you get.
3. Staff was very nice.
4. Made to order breakfast was pretty good.
5. I most likely won't stay here again until Embassy suites decides to update the rooms.

• Stayed February 2013
johanna g, Front Office Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Phoenix Airport, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at our hotel. We sincerely appreciate your feedback and we’re very sorry you were unhappy with our property. We will take your comments under consideration as we continually work to improve our guest experience. We hope you will consider staying with us in the future. Good news is that we will be starting some renovations for our property very soon!!!!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
Ajo, SD
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2013

I am cancer patient. My wife and I travel 125 miles to Phoenix twice a month for a three day period so that I can receive treatment. To help with expenses the American cancer society can sometimes find us lodging through their room donation program by contacting hotels in the Phoenix area. Embassy suites (Phoenix airport) was kind enough to donate lodging during our recent stay (February 11-13). The accommodations more than met our needs and all hotel personnel were extremely courteous and caring. We certainly appreciated kindness extended especially during a busy hotel season in Phoenix.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Malcolm K
johanna g, Front Office Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Phoenix Airport, responded to this review, February 9, 2013
I am glad that we were able to accomodate you and your wife and that you two have enjoyed your stay. We love to make everyone feel as welcome and as comfortable as possible. Our staff greatly appreciates your kind comments. Thank you so much.
Coppell, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2013

This Embassy Suites property seems to have been here for quite some time; the layout is different from any other Embassy Suites I've visited. There is outdoor access, because the rooms all surround a central courtyard & lovely pool area. However, I felt safe and secure, due to the key-card access, electronic gates on the property. My room was comfortable, clean, and I felt the decor was pleasant and up-to-date. The bed was comfortable. I did feel that the rate was a bit high for this room, but I am not sure how it compares to the other hotel rates in the area.

This hotel offers one of the nicest and most extensive exercise rooms I've ever seen in a chain hotel; it included three treadmills, three ellipticals, stationary bikes, free weights, exercise balls, medicine balls of different weights, a sit-up machine, and more....all in excellent working condition. They even provided headphones for use with the built-in Cardio Theaters on the machines, which was a nice touch.

The breakfast offering was delicious & plentiful, and the manager's evening reception (happy hour) was fun. The Squaw Peak Cafe, located on the fifth floor of the hotel, offers a stunning view of the surrounding mountains.

One thing to consider changing; it would be nice if there were a designated, more isolated, smoking area for the 5th floor cafe patrons who smoke. On the first night when we attended the happy hour, I wanted to spend more time outside of the cafe to enjoy the lovely view & gorgeous weather. However, there was a cluster of smokers stationed throughout the walkways and in front of the entry doors surrounding the cafe. Unless you are a smoker (which I'm not!), the smoke clouds diminish the appeal of remaining outside, which is a shame.

There is a charming, old-school coffee shop right next door to this hotel, which seems to be a favorite among the locals. They have an extensive menu, good, food, and reasonable prices.

The business center offered efficient computers, & I was able to print my boarding pass for my flight home in only minutes. There is a handy little gift shop next to the business center, offering an assortment of snacks & drinks, which are available 24/7. If you need to do additional shopping, a handy CVS drug store is located about half a block away, and a Walmart is located within the hotel's free shuttle service radius.

What stood out to me the very most from this visit was the helpful, friendly hotel staff. Any question or request I made was fulfilled in a courteous and timely manner. Especially helpful and accommodating were Michael, Edith, & Hannah at the front desk. They each made this visit memorable and pleasant.

Both shuttle drivers, whose names I did regretfully did not note (one was a gray-haired gentleman & the other was a Phoenix native), were efficient and very knowledgeable about local attractions. These drivers also know the huge Sky Harbor Airport extremely well; unlike many larger airports, this airport does not have one central security checkpoint area. The driver was able to direct me exactly where I needed to go to catch my flight, which saved me time as I was heading out.

The housekeeping staff was very friendly, too. Each staff member I encountered proactively greeted me in a very warm and friendly manner, which I haven't experienced in other hotels. There is definitely a strong emphasis on making guests feel welcomed here.

I would definitely stay at this hotel again on any future trip to Phoenix.

Room Tip: Request a room away from the elevator & staircases, as they are quieter.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank JulieJ0122
Thank you for your kind comments, our staff greatly appreciates them. We are glad that you have enjoyed your recent stay with us and we also ejoyed having you as our guest. We hope to see you again when your travels bring you back to Phoenix!!!
Billings, Montana, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2013

not too shabby but expected more based on how much we paid per night. Breakfast was very good, The staff at front desk were not very knowledgeable about good shopping and the best way for us to get where we needed to go. The shuttle drivers were helpful. The shuttle service is nice.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Leigh G
Thank you for your response, we are happy to hear that you have enjoyed your stay with us. We hope to see you again in the future.
minneapolis, MN
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2013

I wish I would have read these reviews before staying here. It is on old, worn out motel of some sort. The rooms have outdoor access which is a safety issue for women traveling solo. The food is just barely ok. I would not stay again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank MNmidwesttraveler
Thank you so much for your review and we're sorry you did not enjoy your stay. We take all of our guest comments seriously as the comfort and safety of our guests is our highest priority. You can acces your rooms from the outside but they are key controlled, so no one that has a key may not enter. We have addressed the issues with our staff and if you need anything else please feel free to contact me
Merritt Island, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

What a disappointment! I've stayed at many Embassy Suites in the US, and frankly, Hilton is really diluting their brand with this motel. Yes - motel.
While the service is top-notch, the buildings, rooms, and even furniture need updating. Every A/C vent was covered in mold spots - my turning on the heat was the worst idea ever. There was also some kind of loud machinery near my room (possibly the elevator?), which managed to keep waking me up even with the bedroom door closed.
Two of the rooms' walls are exterior brick walls, which no one bothered to insulate or cover with drywall - was very cold in there on a January night. There was no bathtub, just a shower - in fact the bathroom sink/vanity is in the bedroom since the bathroom is so small.

The breakfast was wonderful, though the restaurant is a bit undersized.

Room Tip: A good room can be found at the Hilton Garden Inn.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank frodobear
johanna g, Front Office Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Phoenix Airport, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Thank you for staying with us at our hotel. I appreciate your candor; we look for reviews to provide insight into our hotel and our guest suite appearance is an area we are actively examining. I have spoken with our maintenance department about the vents in the suite to make sure this does not happen again. I welcome any additional comments or suggestions you would like to share.
Atlanta, GA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2013

This was by far the worse Embassy Suites experience I have ever had and I stay at them frequently. There were a series of issues with this hotel, stemming from a crumbled infrastructure badly in need of total revamping. The hotel has no capability of running heat and air conditioning at the same time. They explained that they run on a dual pipe system, so the entire hotel can only be on heat or air, and it is up to management which one is on. The is not an issue when it is 115 degrees out, but during times of year where there is a big temperature swing from overnight to mid day, you can forget about it.

I also had a problem with the water in the shower. It would start to get warm, then it would suddenly go to freezing, then hot, then the cycle would repeat. We could not take a comfortable shower until we were moved to another room. A technician looked at it, and basically all he did was agree with us, but left it that he could only fix it if they had a part in stock, and that was the last we heard of it. To the hotel's credit, after 3 calls, we were moved to an executive suite, the only room in the entire hotel that had its own air conditioner. When we switched rooms, I inadvertently left a couple of items in the old room, which took 2 more calls to the front desk and 2 days for maid service to track down.

The hotel also does not have wireless Internet, and the wired service was unusable because it was so slow. Another call promised to send an engineer up to look at it, and that never happened.

On the plus side, the morning breakfast and evening happy hour were both pleasant, but that's what you expect from Embassy Suites.

This hotel is old, dark, and in my opinion should not be open until some major refurbishing is done.

Room Tip: There are too many good choices of hotels to stay here.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank AtlantaRoadWarrior
johanna g, Front Office Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Phoenix Airport, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
I am sorry we were unable to provide you with the quality of amenities and service you deserved during your recent stay. We apologize for the issues in your room and will work with our maintenance team to ensure this does not happen again. If you return to our area, we hope you will consider staying with us again.