“Disappointing for an Embassy Suites” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Embassy Suites by Hilton Phoenix Airport

Embassy Suites by Hilton Phoenix Airport
Ranked #78 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
Midwest US
“Disappointing for an Embassy Suites”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2013

Stayed here a few nights recently for a business meeting at the hotel. I'm not sure even where to begin explaining how disappointed I was with this hotel. First off, I will say I was extremely happy with the staff of the hotel, so I will start with the good and start there. People working the front counter were friendly and helpful. The hotel offers a shuttle service that we used several times to/from the airport and to dinner one evening. The bartender working at the hotel restaurant was awesome during the Manager's Reception every night. He was dropping off a new drink for you right as you were finishing up one. The chef preparing breakfast in the morning was also very nice and quick with the order.

Now for the hotel...the hotel is located about 10 minutes from the airport and that is obviously the best quality of it. It's not exactly located in a nice area of town...I wouldn't feel safe walking down the street after dark. Running behind the hotel is a filthy storm water canal. My room also had a dumpster located below it so I was kindly woken up around 5am by a garbage truck. The guy kept banging the dumpster up and down and it was extremely loud. The only restaurants right near the hotel are a Carl Jr.'s and a diner called Jerry's.

The hotel is old and from what I could see in my room, must have gone through a remodel at some point. The HVAC system is a joke. The thermostat is very old and turning the system on yields three speeds (low, med., high). I ran mine on low and it was very loud. When I first got to my room it was set on 60 degrees, which felt cold when it was only in the mid 50's outside. Took me awhile to figure out how to run the system and finally I just wound up setting it on 80 as that was the only way I could get the room to warm up. Noticed the air register in the bedroom area was extremely dirty (see picture). I'd hate to see what the duct work looks like inside!

More disgusting was inside of the water reservoir (see picture) on the in-room coffee maker. I was in the process of making coffee and noticed the coffee maker already had water in it. I thought that was odd (it could have been sitting there for who knows how long) so I dumped it out and happened to look inside. I'm guessing it's never been cleaned. To think I was about to drink out of that.

I found the lighting in the room to be very poorly designed. There was no overhead lighting except for the bathroom so you had to rely entirely on lamps. Nothing more frustrating than basically having to turn on every light just to have comfortable feel to the room.

I had to laugh somewhat at the energy conservation measures that Embassy encourages it customers to follow, yet there was a 1/8-inch gap around the door to my room. Putting my hand near there you could feel cold air blowing in. The tank size on the toilet was the old, large kind that are water hogs. If they truly want to conserve water, change out the toilets!

The room has a balcony, but I'm not sure why. I tried to open the sliding door, but that was a chore in itself. After budging it open about 5 inches, it stopped from what appears to be a jam installed by the hotel. So, don't plan on opening your door to enjoy some fresh air.

The hotel offers wireless internet for $9.95/day. I broke down and tried that, but coverage of it was spotty and I was often kicked off. Several other people from my group also had issues with it. The business area also has a separate wireless system. Again, I was kicked off a dozen or so times during the meetings. At one point, someone at the meeting found the router in a closet and reset it.

Enjoyed the manager's reception each night I was at the hotel. I did eat at the restaurant one night and was not impressed with the food. Ordered a simple burger (medium) and it arrived very raw. The breakfast was good...made to order omelets, bacon, sausage, coffee, cereals, etc. I had to wear my coat each morning in the breakfast area though as it felt like it was about 60 degrees in there. Turn up the heat for goodness sake!

In closing, I thought $120/night was too much for a hotel. I'm a Hilton member and I was disappointed they would offer a product like this. I definitely would not bring my family here. Pony up, pay some extra and go into Scottsdale for way better hotels and restaurants.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
johanna g, Front Office Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Phoenix Airport, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Thank you so much and we're glad that our staff and shuttle service was up to your standards. I am sorry we were unable to provide you with the quality of amenities and service you deserved during your recent stay. We apologize for the issues in your room and will work with our maintenance team to ensure this does not happen again. If you return to our area, we hope you will consider staying with us again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
Salt Lake City, Utah
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2013

I was in Phoenix for business and this was a nice choice. My room actually had too much space for one person. I opened the door and entered the "living room" fold out bed and all, right behind the living room was the kitchenette area. Dining table and all. The room was in a different area of the room and the rest room had a jack and jill entrance. There was a lovely area to get ready in the morning. Downside...the hairdryer could be more powerful and the lighting could use some improvement. But all in all great stay. I did not use the pool area but it looked wonderful and relaxing. I did enjoy the happy hour in the foyer area and the breakfast was great. Seriously an entire buffet. I will stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for your response. I am happy to hear that you have enjoyed your stay with us. We all appreciate your kind comments. We hope to see you again when your travels bring you back to the Phoenix area and then you can feel how relaxing our pool is!!!
Gardner, Kansas, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2013

The staff was very helpful and even went above and beyond when I needed something printed off that I couuldn't print. Everyone on the staff made sure we were happy. Every question we had was answered and we were given good recommendations when we asked for them.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your feedback. Our staff truely appreciates your kind comments. We enjoyed having you as our guest and are happy to hear that you have enjoyed your stay. We hope to see you again in the future.
San Jose
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2012

Rooms in great need of total redo! Front door frame broken so security lock was not much good, shower door handle broken, garbage under the bed, sliding door off runner, 10 minutes to get hot water in the shower, air conditioning did not work. Very disappointed

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank CutieSusie
johanna g, Front Office Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Phoenix Airport, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
I am sorry we were unable to provide you with the quality of amenities and service you deserved during your recent stay. We apologize for the issues in your room and will work with our maintenance team to ensure these items are fixed and these issues do not happen again. If you return to our area, we hope you will consider staying with us again.

Kind regards
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2012 via mobile

It's not the Hilton. However, the place is clean and friendly. There is a beautiful outdoor area for relaxing and visiting. Good restaurant on 5th floor with decent happy hour. Smoker friendly (outdoors). Very quiet and safe.

• Stayed December 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your feedback. I am glad to hear that you have enjoyed your recent stay with us. We love to make everything at our property as easy and as comfortable for our guests.
We hope to see you next time when your travels bring you back to the Phoenix area.
Maricopa, Arizona
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2012

This Embassy Suites is more like a motel than a hotel. My room had a mildew smell and some of the furniture was outdated. There was mold on some parts of the ceiling. I expected much more and was disappointed. The front desk service was friendly and did what they could to make my stay more enjoyable .

• Stayed November 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Michael M, Front Office Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Phoenix Airport, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
We appreciate that you chose to stay with us while visiting the Phoenix area. I regret your disappointment but appreciate your candor. I've spoken with our staff regarding your experience and this will help provide insight into our hotel. We're actively addressing the mildew and mold issues and will keep your suggestions in mind regarding refresh opportunities. I welcome any additional comments or suggestions you would like to share.

Warm regards,
Michael McCullar

email: michael.mccullar@hilton.com
Minneapolis, MN
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2012

Checked in for a quick overnight on a business trip traveling through Phoenix. Hotel is very worn with some cosmetic upgrades to try to make it better. New carpet, decent bedding, everything else is worn out and old. Staff was friendly. Motel set-up where all rooms face an outdoor courtyard. As a single woman business traveler I didn't feel entirely safe here (and I'm pretty confident when it comes to this stuff). Thermostat in room doesn't work and is very loud. Never got hot water in the morning - went from lukewarm to cold. Overall, I'd find a better airport hotel to stay at, but if you're desparate this is OK.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
johanna g, Front Office Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Phoenix Airport, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
It was a pleasure to serve you as our guest during your recent stay at our hotel. Thank you so much for your feedback and I am terribly sorry to see that your stay did not meet your expectations and that there was a challenge with the thermostat and the hot water in your suite. Just to let you know we have taken care of the challange. Our property is a safe place to be and we also have security to keep an extra eye on things. Good news is that we are undergoing new renovations next year to better keep the hotel and make it more comfortable for our guests.

Thank you again for staying with us and I'd like to apologize again for the inconvenience.