“Terrific Service, Bad Emabassy Suites”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Phoenix Airport
Ranked #81 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
Reviewed March 28, 2011

The good news: Staff is very warm, accommodating, and helpful. Nice free shuttle to and from airport.

The bad news: Poor location, terrible "managers happy hour", very noisy rooms

Not a great Embassy Suites

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
Thank jarvis.lambert
Write a ReviewReviews (1,100)

Reviewed March 26, 2011

My wife and I stayed 4 nights at this hotel which turns out is an older Embassy Suite property. It probably started out as something else because the bathrooms were inside the bedroom. First the bad part: We had plumbing problems associated with the commode. Every 20 minutes or so it would make a giant sucking sound and the water would empty from the bowl. No big deal, except at night when it constantly woke us up. Management and maintenance kind of shined us on for two nights, then tried to fix but never did. 4 nights with no sleep. Worse they never offered us any kind of refund of our fees. Next was the smokers! They were all over the place and were allowed to smoke around the pool with children present. There were some good points, the staff at the happy hour, dining and breakfast were great! The area surrounding the hotel was not in the best neighborhood, so long walks are not suggested.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 23, 2011

The hotel was clean, the pool was nice, the breakfast staff and quality of the free breakfast was great, the front desk was friendly, the happy hour reception was generous,the location was just minutes from spring training.Sounds great,... if you are a smoker. All the rooms claim to be non-smoking but you can smell the smoke on EVERYTHING. The room had a thick cloud in it. We had a sleep with the window and door open the first night because there wasn't another room to put us in. (Our fault, we checked in at midnight, really bad traffic) They were kind and comp'd our room the first night and moved us the next day to a "less smoking room." They tried to make the best of it for us we're just sensitive to smoke I guess.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed March 21, 2011

I recently stayed 2 nights at this hotel for a conference in which I was presenting. It was very close to the airport. Good for me since my flight Sunday left at 5:30am but wouldn't want to stay here to "experience" Phoenix. Free shuttle service was an Executive sedan. Very nice however it took 25 minutes for pick up.

The front desk staff was very pleasant. Internet access is $14 bucks a day (cmon Hilton) unless you are a Gold/Platinum Honors member. Guess I was close enough as I got it free of charge.

The rooms were decent. All two room suites with modern flatscreens and hi def. Very nice. Hilton Bed is alwas great. The counter tops in the sink area and kitchen need updating along with the wall paper. And the walls that buffered the outside were coated bricks/blocks. Strange for an embassy. It was an outside entry hotel but was kind of neat that all entry was enclosed (does that make sense?). All rooms faced into a courtyard area that had a nice looking pool area and hot tub that I had no time to enjoy. Very different for an Embassy. It seemed as if they took over a Clarion Suites and slapped their info on it. But overall they did a nice job of it.

Breakfast and Managers reception was provided. Finger foods and small beers were free. However the bar was completely understaffed with the line for an 8 oz beer about 25 minutes long.

Overall a decent stay. On the outside, it doesn't appear to be a very nice Embassy but the rooms were nice and the staff decent.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed March 20, 2011

I recieved a distressed traveler voucher from us airways that embassy suites refused to honor. The employee on the phone put me on hold for a very long time after I was quoted a rate 3 times the rate of the voucher, then referred me to another hotel. When I called the number she gave me I was told all the info I was givin was completely incorrect. I was obviously blown off! I'm also a little upset with us airways for promoting such a recognizable bait and switch. Because of this incident I will never stay at another embassy suites again. I would rather stay at an honest motel 6!

• Stayed: March 2011
1  Thank Chris1973chris
Reviewed March 18, 2011

I always read TripAdvisor reviews before booking reservations but this time, the Hotel was chosen by my business partners because we were having a two week training session there. I still went and checked TA and was disappointed by what I read. Let me say right here, I really enjoyed my stay at this hotel! As it turned out there was a lot of truth in those reviews but I would stay again based on my experience. Yes the hotel is old, but the management is very responsive to complaints. For instance my microwave oven broke down in the middle of making lunch so I called the front desk. Fifteen minutes later I had a brand new microwave. I was a little cold at night, presto, 10 minutes later I had a supplemental heater provided to me (they had already switched over to AC so no heat). The AC worked great on the warm days BTW. The only other problem I had was kiddie noise which usually ended by 11:00 PM. There were a lot of older folks at the Hotel here to watch various MLB Spring training games. They were wonderful and quiet.

Now as to my room. It was spotless but dated. The rooms are a good size for anyone staying a week or two on business as I did. I only had a shower but that is fine for me. They are large. If you need a bathtub find another hotel. They have an excellent breakfast with made to order dishes such as omelettes, pancakes and French Toast. They let me fill my Big Gulp cup every morning with Diet Coke before my meeting and I loved them for that! The cooks were excellent and I do mean that. They can cook your omelette in about 3 1/2 minutes and I saw five going at once with no problems. The omelette stuffing choices were excellent too. They make a killer veggie omelette.

At night (5:30 PM - 7:30 PM) they have an excellent free manager's appreciation open bar with tortilla chips, salsa, veggies and ranch dressing. They kept the bar full of snacks the entire two hours too. They pour generous well drinks, margaritas, and a few mixed drinks, as well as sodas. It's hard to beat free for these goodies but they do save you money if you are on a budget and who isn't these days?

The meeting rooms were excellent. They were roomy and the temperature control was great.

The neighborhood does not have a lot of nearby restaurants; however, there are two that are worth mentioning--El Napolito, authentic, inexpensive Mexican fare, and Jerry's an inexpensive diner. The food at both places was very good. I ate dinner at El Napolito 4 times. You can also get a ride to restauarants up to five miles away via the free Hotel Shuttle so that helped a lot. The Shuttle to and from the airport is also free.

SO yep it is an older dated hotel, but the management in place at the hotel makes up for this everywhere they can.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed February 21, 2011

It couldn't have been more convenient! When I was unexpectdly re-routed to Phoenix due to weather, this hotel was my salvation. A late arrival was no problem, and I was whisked from the airport in a Cadillac Escalade (sweet!) direct to the hotel, where John, the night auditor was truly welcoming and solicitous. Plenty of hot water and a very comfy bed helped make me ready to travel again, especially in conjunction with the ample full breakfast that has helped make the Embassy brand so successful. Yes, this building is older, but on this, my second stay, I found the arrangement around the courtyard and pool charming all over again. I have stayed in Embassy all over the country and although some are older and some newer, I have never been disappointed.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business