“Service wasn't great...”

Holiday Inn & Suites Phoenix Airport North
Ranked #44 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
Reviewed January 25, 2012

My husband and I stayed a couple nights at this hotel and it was just ok. It apparently was an Embassy Suites at one time and has been remodeled. The rooms are neat with the separate living area and bedroom but the bathroom is super little and we never were quite able to get a HOT shower. Housekeeping came to our door too early so we told her to come back in a little while but never came and cleaned the room. We had to call and ask for towels twice until we got some more. Overall it was just an average experience. The room was clean and comfortable but you could hear A LOT of street noise. This would be a good business hotel but I wouldn't recommend for couples or families...

Reviewed January 20, 2012

This is a nicely updated hotel. The rooms are spacious, clean and comfortable. Shuttle service from the airport stops at 9:30 p.m., so be prepared to shell out $22 for a cab ride for any flight arriving late. Desk clerks are all very friendly, but usually under staffed at night.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed January 18, 2012

having a suite, with great atmosphere, wonderful pool area etc should make this a TOP hotel but they have just a couple of things they need to improve on. every time the air con came on during the night it sounded like a 727 warming up and woke us up. we finally had to turn it off. this was ok in january but would NOT be ok in warmer months. also, the pillows were much too hard, both of us ended up with sore necks. we asked room service for softer pillows but they were the same.

Reviewed January 14, 2012

we found this hotel through Priceline for a quick stay before getting on our plane home the next day. Wish we could have stayed there longer. What a great place! The center court area makes you feel like you are at a resort in Mexico. The staff were super helpful and kind. They learned we had just come from funeral and were asking about how we were doing with our loss. In the morning I was having trouble printing our boarding passes and they brought me to the office area and let me use whatever I needed to get the job done. We WILL stay there again.

Room Tip: Our room was nicer than expected.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed January 12, 2012

We selected this hotel on Hotwire due to the 100% consumer satisfaction. I can see why! The property is really well manicured, with a "spa", "resort" feel. There are fire pits outside, and cozy areas to sit. I only wish we had arrived earlier (and we weren't leaving so early in the AM) so we could have enjoyed the property.

The rooms are clean and VERY spacious. The format of the room reminded me of the Embassy Suites, whereas you have a sitting area in the front; the bedroom in the back. The lighting in the bedroom was the best I have ever experienced at a 3-4 Star hotel. We were actually able to provide "intimate" mood lighting via the small light fixtures alongside the bed.

The bathroom/shower area is small. But what we liked is there were two sinks in the room, both outside of the tub/toilet area. So there was plenty of room/space for two people to get ready.

I would recommend asking for a room away from the street side of the building.

The only complaint I had was when I called for the shuttle to pick me up upon my return to Phoenix (I left my car at the hotel for two days). I had to call back twice, as I was placed on hold for nearly 5 minutes. When the person at the front desk asked to place me on hold again, I said, "No, I have already been on hold and I just want to know where to get the shuttle back to the hotel." The person who answered the phone said, "Well, if you'd just be patient, I'll tell you."

I found this to be inappropriate. I was going to let it go but this same person told the shuttle driver to pick me up at Terminal 3, NOT Terminal 4 where I was standing. So I ended up waiting for 30-35 minutes for the shuttle. I let the manager know, and he could NOT have been kinder and immediately called this person into his office as he did not condone the behaviour of his employee. Customer service is definitely a top priority for this hotel.

The bar area is nice. We were surprised they did not have limes when we ordered a vodka tonic. We did not have a chance to try the restaurant.

The only "down" side is the layout of the hotel is a bit confusing; especially when you are arriving late and a bit weary. Finding our room took longer than expected! But it allowed us to peruse the grounds; all well worth it!

Again, we will definitely be back and we look forward to having a more leisurely visit the next time.

1  Thank LoisSedona
Reviewed January 4, 2012

Excellent location near the airport and next to a mall with a grocery store. The shuttle driver was prompt and courteous, though nowhere on the reservation does it say you need to call for the shuttle pickup at the airport. Housekeeping had not made up the sofa bed for our party, so we ended up doing it ourselves, though they did provide extra towels when requested (and were thoughtful to provide extra toiletries too). The hotel room was quiet and comfortable. The kitchenette in our extended stay suite unfortunately did not have coffee, filters or detergent. The shuttle ride back to the airport was easily scheduled and prompt. Overall a decent stay despite the hiccups.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 3, 2012

Very spacious rooms--a separate enclosed living room with TV and bedroom with own TV, bathrooms a tad small, but on my 2.5 week road trip, this was certainly one of the best!

• Stayed: December 2011