“Watch your reservation / bugs in rooms” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Americas Best Value Inn Phoenix/I-10 West

Americas Best Value Inn Phoenix/I-10 West
Ranked #147 of 177 Hotels in Phoenix
Netherlands
“Watch your reservation / bugs in rooms”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2009

We booked 2 rooms on internet at this ABVI for a 1 night stay. With our (late) arrival I was told by the frontdesk employee that only 1 room was reserved however I had confirmation papers for 2 rooms. He admitted they dropped the ball and made a mistake. First comment was that no other rooms were available because a large group stayed at the hotel for a long time. The parking was occupied half space or less so I had my doubts. It was around 11 PM and not a good idea to search for another hotel. I insisted him to find a solution. Finally he called his boss and suddenly he came up with 2 rooms. When entering the rooms it appeared the airconditioning didn't work in 1 room while it was above 90 degrees and bugs/nasty animals moved around in the bathroom. Comment from the frontdesk employee was that AC worked all the time but he couldnot activate the AC unit either. Again he started to tell he had no other room available but within 10 minutes he came back and said he had cleaned another room. A strange way how to present the hotel to guests. I assume they tried to keep rooms available for other guests probably against higher prices as I booked for on internet. Overall judgement: a bad start with this ABVI.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars
      Location
    • 1 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Fuquay-Varina, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2008

The Lobby was a dump. The attitude of the clerk that checked us in did nothing to approve our opinion of the motel. The room was dirty. I thought maybe they were overbook and we had a room that was in the progress of being updated, but reading other reviews I guess we had the best avaiable. The bed wasn't comfortable even after thoroughly examing the linens for bed bugs. The bathroom was very grubby, the sink and shower both had soap build up. Checking out was pleasant it didn't take long to examine the breakfast area and give your key back. Then as you start your car you get a wonderful feeling knowint there was no way you'd ever have to return to this pit again. If they would tear this Motel down it would definately improve the area. So if for some reason you find yourself sleepy on the 15500 block of 52nd Drive in Phoenix take my advice and sleep in your car

• Liked — Leaving after checkout
  • Disliked — That I had to spend the night
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with family
      Location
      Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank gr8sgnmein
Enschede
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2007

We can be perfectly clear about this hotel: it has no positive features whatsoever. We entered a very messy lobby, with boxes and piles of phone books all over the place. We saw that there was a back office with sufficient space: we can't understand why a hotel would unnecessarly ruin its first impression this way. It reflects a total lack of interest in the guests.

The first impression was reinforced by a seemingly nervous and scared front desk employee and a "wanted" poster of a killer in the same block on the front desk. Indeed, the hotel does not seem to be located in a very good neighborhood. The hotel itself appears to be recently renovated, but there is a lot of littering in the immediate vicinity of the hotel. There was glass all over the parking lot, too.

The first room we got smelled terribly. The room had been cleaned but not aired. We could smell the Chinese food of the evening before. Luckily we were offered another room with no smell. The room was pretty okay (although a bit run-down and not so clean), but it was the only hotel we stayed in without in-room coffee.

We can do without coffee one day, but sleeping on plastic bed covers is really awful. We're sure the hotel will have seemingly brand new matresses for a long period of time, but other hotels we stayed in have chosen guest-friendlier ways of protecting their mattresses.

The worst experience was the "Daybreak Lite"breakfast. Guests were warned that they had to show their key when entering the breakfast area. But why? The breakfast was a disgrace. Plastic-wrapped sweets by Otis Spunkmeyer (what kind of name is this for food?), coffee, and a disgusting orange juice machine (see photo). That's all.

We had rather high expectations of this hotel, because we paid more for it than we usually do. But no value for money this time.

The hotel also had a nasty "safe" policy. Each room was equiped with a safe, and the charges for the safe were automatically added to the bill, unless a guest would object to it. A sign in the room states that the safe is there primarily in the hotel's interest: if they offer a safe, they are not liable for lost or stolen property. So they make you pay for something even if you don't use it, and do so n their own interest.

Guests mean nothing to this hotel. It's their wallet that counts. Don't go here. There must be better options in a big city like Phoenix.

Stayed July 2007
2 Thank Hollyfamily
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2006

We stayed for two nights, and regretted it. The carpets were old and stained. We had two rooms and in one of the rooms the box spring had what appeared to be blood all over it. Not simply as if someone had a nose bleed but a large amount of blood. It was not in a good neighborhood and we did not want to leave the hotel after dark. The rooms were in disrepair with cracks in the wall and worn patches in the carpet, cracked tiles in the bathroom. The bathroom itself was very tight. When we went to check out, the woman behind the counter was alone and asked me to wait as there were other people in front of me. I stood to the side as she helped them, in the mean time another two people came in and she helped them without acknowleding me standing there. They over charged my fathers credit card on his room and instead of fixing it when he mentioned it, they made him wait until we checked out. Over all bad stay, will not stay again when we visit Phoenix.

• Stayed February 2006
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Atlanta, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2006

Broken locks, open doors....clearly someone kicked in the door. Stay away. Manager would not give another room.

• Stayed February 2006, traveled on business