“Good place to stay in downtown with a few minor issues”

Renaissance Phoenix Downtown Hotel
Ranked #16 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
Reviewed June 8, 2014

I stayed here for the recent comic con weekend in phoenix. It is a wonderful and nice hotel and would stay here again. most of what i am going to mention was from the con being in town but due to that you may experience the same issues during high occupancy of the hotel. They are little things the hotel can fix to me it a perfect stay. 1. The partition with my adjoining room is very thin, i could here just about everything that went on in the room next to me -> suggest soundproofing. 2. upon checkout the elevators were too crowded and slow for me to get on one, I had to walk down 8 flights of stairs with my luggage. 3. it took 20 min for my car to come up from the valet while other people waited far less than that. Also if you get in late at night the normal valet isn't open and they make you drive around the corner to the garage. If these things were brushed up on a little bit i would give it 5 stars

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
Marty R, Executive Response Team at Renaissance Phoenix Downtown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 16, 2014

We certainly appreciate the feedback from your stay with us. I apologize for your less than stellar experiences, it sounds like we fell short of your expectations, and ours, too. Comic Con is an incredibly busy time, and we were at capacity. I'm sorry you couldn't catch an elevator. I've spoken to our team in valet, who also send their apologies to you, and they are working on a process so that doesn't happen again. We certainly hope you'll give us another chance!

Reviewed June 8, 2014

The lobby/bar of the hotel look great and feel like a high class hotel. However the older hallways and rooms that don't have the high class feel of the lobby. The rooms were ok, but wall paper peeling, patches in the ceiling and scratched wood does not give you the feel that you are at a Renaissance. The hotel bar had a good happy hour. We decided to park free on the street after Friday instead of valeting for $27. The hotel is within walking distance of both arenas and we felt safe walking back to the hotel after a later game at the baseball stadium. The price was right for a downtown hotel and had all the services including a flight check-in computer that you would expect.

Room Tip: Rooms facing south have good views of the stadiums.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your feedback regarding our hallways. We are completely renovating every single guest corridor in the hotel this summer! New electronic locks on each door, new ceilings, wallcoverings, carpet, lighting and oh! safes and refrigerators in every room too! You'll have to come back and give us another chance to completely wow you!

Reviewed June 7, 2014

I had opportunity to stay at this downtown Phoenix property because I was attending a Scheinman Instiute, Cornell ILR School Arbitration Award workshop at the nearby Old Phoenix Courthouse. Check in was smooth I received a higher floor room looking north toward the Camelback Mountains. My room was clean and everything worked well. The A/C was perfect because it was hot outside. There was enough light and the water pressure was good. The LCD TV offered many cable channels. What really set this property apart from most Marriott properties I stayed at was the concierge lounge. Within the same week I stayed at Marriott Burbank Airport property and the difference between the concierge lounge was night and day. This lounge had I a hip and modern atmosphere. Some of the best concierge food that I ever had - Fish Tacos and Salmon! But some of the folks working in there provided superb service and friendliness. One of the employees, who was from Hawaii and studying ancient herbal medicine remember my name each time and I came into the lounge and provided excellent service. For this reason and my comfortable room, I rate this as one of the best Marriott properties that I have stayed at.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank SeminarTrekker

We are so glad your stay with us was above your expectations! Elevate, is for sure the coolest concierge lounge you'll find! Pam and the team knows what customer service is about. And yes! The food is outstanding! Thanks very much for your great review, and we hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed June 7, 2014

I recently stayed here one night on a one-day business trip to Phoenix.

I was given a nice room on the 18th floor and told about the concierge lounge on the 19th floor. The lounge offered light snacks at 5:30pm and an assortment of desserts at 7pm. I wasn’t able to make it for desserts but did try the snacks which were an assortment of cheeses and breads and a nice light salad. Their breakfast the following morning was also very nice with lots of variety to choose from.

The room was very spacious and clean and everything was in working order. The bed was comfortable however the TV had some damage to it; I guess the previous occupants didn’t like the programming, so I reported this to the front desk staff and they sent up a maintenance person to take a look. My only real complaint was that the lotion and shampoo/conditioners had been used before and not replaced… but luckily I had brought my own.

All the staff that I encountered were professional and very friendly. I would definitely stay here again the next time I have business in the downtown Phoenix area.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
Marty R, Executive Response Team at Renaissance Phoenix Downtown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 10, 2014

I'm so glad you enjoyed our concierge lounge, Elevate! They are always prepared to please our guests with the best in culinary delights! I'm sorry the bathroom amenities were not replaced, that is most certainly not up to our standards. We sure hope you'll come back again soon!

Reviewed June 2, 2014

What a wonderful attentive, happy, kind staff! My daughter and were traveling from the east coast to Phoenix, to get my daughter settled for a summer internship in Phoenix. Being new to the area it was a great help to have kind staff to ask questions with the feel of not being a bother. We can’t expressive enough how genuine and helpful the staff was in helping us navigate the area.
Management was very accommodating when I ask for a special request.
At one point of our stay my daughter was not feeling well; management sent my daughter a room service care tray. How kind and thoughtful.
We met Mara and Michael, who work in the gift shop; again both were very helpful with navigating. The gift shop is filled many quality items as well as everyday necessities.
Marston’s Café has a great breakfast menu. At breakfast we had the pleasure of meeting a genuine kind, caring man named Edison. Not only was Edison’s service outstanding so was his personality.
I speak of kindness and happy caring people in this review the pristine hotel speaks for itself. I have stayed at more luxurious hotels; by far this staff has been the best I’ve met. I like to be around kind, happy people this is what I experienced at Renaissance Phoenix Downtown.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank CINDY S
Marty R, Executive Response Team at Renaissance Phoenix Downtown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 6, 2014

Thanks so much for your fantastic review of our hotel and our Ambassadors! Eddison is such a kind and caring man, and SO good at his job! Our focus is on customer service and our staff blows it out of the water every single day! We sure hope to see you again!

Reviewed May 30, 2014

After a two day visit at the Renaissance hotel, I departed for home in Tucson, Az and left my cosmetics bag with my prescription medicines in the room. After arriving home, I called the hotel to let them know. After some time they called back and had found the. I received them to next day by fedex.. I'd like to thank the hotel staff and Mr. Albert Cardenas in particular for the prompt, excellent service. I would certainly stay at this hotel again.
Alice Armour

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends

What a great outcome! Albert is a wonderful example of how fantastic our Ambassadors are! We're delighted that you'll be back to see us - please make it soon!

Reviewed May 26, 2014

After an intense meeting at the Renaissance, and in the midst of a hectic travel schedule, I arrived at Sky Harbor Airport only to realize (after frantic search of bags) that I had left my laptop charger behind. Upon the suggestion of fellow travelers, I phoned the hotel and was connected promptly with Mr. Andrew Finney, the Loss Prevention Ambassador. Mr. Finney was the epitome of calm and kindness; he checked the meeting room and called me back within 5 minutes to confirm that my charger was there, very important when waiting to board a flight! The charger soon arrived, via FedEx with a note. Many thanks to Mr. Finney and the excellent staff of the Renaissance for their timely and much appreciated assistance.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
Marty R, Executive Response Team at Renaissance Phoenix Downtown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 27, 2014

That's a great outcome! Andrew and his great team in Loss Prevention are consistently at the top of their game and always going above and beyond. We're glad you have your charger!