“Very nice place”

Ranked #14 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
Sewickley, PA
“Very nice place”
Reviewed March 11, 2014 via mobile

This is a somewhat iconic hotel that has been renovated recently. Nice lobby and nice rooms with good furnishings and comfortable beds. It's ideally located for the Convention Center, and has a pleasant, friendly staff. Some commentators have remarked on the shape of the windows, which are arched a bit on the outside, but I don't see any problem. They are 3/4 the width of the room and 2/3 of the height, so what on earth is wrong with that? There is a smallish and not terribly inviting pool adjacent to a large fifth floor deck. It gets sun in the morning and shade in the afternoon and the deck has a substantial smoking area; if that's a problem you'll have to shift about to avoid the smokers. There is plenty of room for a larger pool, which would be an improvement, but perhaps there are some structural problems with additional weight. The hotel's footprint is what it is, but the deck is easily five times larger than the pool. All-in-all, I liked the place for where it was and what it was. It's not the Biltmore, nor the Phoenician, nor the Hyatt at Gainey Ranch, all of which I've stayed at in the past and all of which are far nicer. But for a downtown hotel within a couple of blocks of the Convention Center, it's just fine.

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Marty R, Executive Response Team at Renaissance Phoenix Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, March 19, 2014
It sounds like you spent a good deal of time on our wonderful pool terrace. The amount of sun depends on the time of day and time of year and it scoots around accordingly. We love our huge terrace, where 15 separate suites have french doors opening directly onto the deck. The seating areas are plentiful and it's beautifully appointed. Thanks so much for your review and we hope to see you again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
Idaho Falls, Idaho
Reviewed March 11, 2014

I went to Phoenix to attend a conference for work and stayed at the Renaissance Downtown Phoenix. The Hotel is beautiful, clean and conveniently located downtown near the event center I would be going to each day. The service at the hotel was exceptional! I met Floyd, the Lobby Ambassador, near the front doors as I was frantically trying to figure out how to get to the nearest mall or shopping center. I was in a panic. My bags had been lost on my flight the day before and I only had four hours to purchase clothes, shoes, pantyhose, curling iron and all toiletries needed for four days of business events. Floyd knew exactly where to send me, I walked a block and a half and came back one happy lady and had everything I needed. Floyd was awesome and the rest of the staff all made sure I was happy and had everything I needed. This is a hotel that will always greet you with a, "good morning" and a smile! I will be returning again next year.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Rebecca Burgie C
Thanks for your great review! Floyd is the best, isn't he?! He never forgets a name, will remember the smallest detail, knows everything about downtown Phoenix, AND he's as friendly and helpful as they come! We are lucky to have him, and so are our guests! We look forward to seeing you on your next trip the Renaissance Phoenix Downtown Hotel!
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed March 11, 2014

I stayed for 6 days and enjoyed the clean, spatious and nicely furnished room as well as excellent service in a convenient location right in the middle of the downtown area. For example the US Airways Center and The Phoenix Suns´Basketball is just a few blocks away as is the Chase Field baseball arena.

Room Tip: Ask for a room as high up as possible.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Thanks so much for staying for 6 days! Downtown Phoenix is a rockin' place with all kinds of cool things to do - glad you enjoyed the sports venues!
Cleveland
Reviewed March 11, 2014 via mobile

Nice downtown property. We chose this location due to proximity to airport after a week visiting family. The rooms are standard Marriott/Renaissance, nice size clean and comfortable. The only meal we ate on property was breakfast which was good. My only complaint is the pool. Their website calls it a rooftop pool. It's on the 5th floor and gets no sun during the day due to neighboring buildings.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
I'm genuinely sorry you were disappointed in the location of our pool. It sits on the roof top of the parking garage, which also is adjoined to a series of suites that open onto the huge pool terrace. There are some other high rise buildings that are taller than the Renaissance and will cast a shadow during certain parts of the day depending on the time of year. With our gorgeous weather year round, the pool is always a welcomed break!
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed March 10, 2014

I stayed at the hotel this past weekend. Had a wonderful experience. Everyone was friendly, helpful & professional. I especially enjoyed the vivacious person at the check-in area, Kate. (PS. The hotel lobby & rooms were quite beautiful.)

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Thanks for your great review! Kate is indeed a go-getter! Like all of our Ambassadors, she's friendly, knowledgeable and quite lively! She's thrilled to be mentioned!
Phoenix, AZ
Reviewed March 8, 2014

We stayed here on March 7th for one night so we could enjoy a local music festival without having to drive home the same night. We were able to book for a special price of $149/night.

The only downside to my personal experience was two things. There weren't enough pillows in the bed. Both the hubby and I are side sleepers and require a pillow not only for our heads but also for wedging between our legs. I'm sure if we had thought of it sooner, we could have asked for extra pillows. Maybe management can confirm that after reading this review. The second downside was the expense of food/beverages, but that's pretty much always the case in any high end resort/hotel. A large bottle of in room Evian was $5. The gift shop wasn't any better with pricing.

So, here's the good....The room is nicely decorated and comfortable. We were provided with an in room coffee maker along with coffee, sugar, and (2) creamer packets. For the bathroom, we had a hair dryer and Avena personal care items such as shampoo, conditioner, soap, and body lotion. The window in the room actually opens to let in the breeze....very nice for March weather. We also took advantage of the two cocktail and beverage glasses in the room by bringing in our own mini cooler with cocktails. The ice machine was a very brief walk down the hall next to the elevators.

We also brought our bikes into our room and used them a lot to get around about a 1-2 square mile area. It was very, very easy to do so, and made it enjoyable to visit the downtown area eateries.

One last thing, they quickly accommodated our request to have a floor fan brought to our room.

I'd suggest a friend or family member stay here if the price is right...at $149 a night, I felt that was fair.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking Washington Street..prettier in my opinon.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Marty R, Executive Response Team at Renaissance Phoenix Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, March 10, 2014
Thanks for the feedback about your stay with us - we look at all feedback as a gift. It's how we grow! I'm sorry you did not have enough pillows on the bed for your needs. For future reference, please be sure to call down to the front desk with your request, and our fabulous Ambassadors will rush extra pillows up to your room! Also, we have complimentary bottles of water in our lobby - just ask the great folks at the reception desk. How cool that our windows open, right?!? We are the only hotel downtown that hasoperational windows - score!
Spearfish, South Dakota
Reviewed March 7, 2014

My daughter and I just returned from Phoenix and I must say I simply cannot complain about a thing (well only 1 thing, the pool) at this hotel. From the moment we were delivered at the front door, Floyd, Hotel Ambassator, was amazing! He remembered our names, helped us with the smallest and biggest things. We were a bit early for check in, but Jesse, the "navigator" took care of our luggage and directed us to a wonderful place to eat while our room was being prepared. This was the theme all week. I forgot to book a trip to the Grand Canyon, but no problem for Jesse, he got us booked late the night before. The bar and restaurant staff were also very friendly and went out of their way to get us everything we wanted. At 10:00 PM I called room service b/c my daughter wanted a yogurt parfait (breakfast only menu)...NO PROBLEM! The beds so are completely comfortable and the rooms very quiet. I don't usually sleep well away from home, but slept like a rock every night here. We are beyond happy with the amazing property and people at this location!
~ Sandi and Halli from South Dakota

Room Tip: We had a king suite - gave us nice living space as we were there for several days.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Sandi R
Thanks for the great review of your experience with us! It sounds like you were able to interact with just about every department, and had wonderful outcomes with all of them! That's the way we roll at the Renaissance Phoenix Downtown Hotel! Floyd's memory amazes us every day - he never forgets a name, and he sees thousands of guests! How cool that Jesse was able to get you booked for a tour of the Grand Canyon on such short notice - he's the man!