“Attended a conference at nearby Convention Center”

Renaissance Phoenix Downtown Hotel
Ranked #13 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
Reviewed March 1, 2014

I stayed here because it was only a 2 blocks walk to the Phoenix Convention Center, an excellent venue for a conference, and I am a member of the Marriott Rewards program at the Gold Elite level. Also it was one of the two suggested hotels for conference attendees. Every staff member I encountered was friendly and desired to be helpful. I ate in the Café for breakfast both mornings. The continental breakfast is $13 and includes fresh fruit, pastries, bagels, and oatmeal. If you want a chafing dish item (eggs, etc.) you would have to order the full buffet, or you could order from the menu. I did use the fitness center on the 5th floor. It had a variety of machines, and at least half a dozen of most types.

It is about a 20 minute taxi ride from Sky Harbor Airport at a cost of approximately $20 including tip. I decided to do this instead of renting a car and having to pay a high price for overnight parking.

My chief complaint was the block party on Saturday night. It turned out to be a celebration of the hotel's 2 year anniversary, and the public as well as hotel guests were invited. I did not see any signs in the lobby about this, and did not check the hotel happenings channel, so I was rather unhappy to return from my conference only to hear LOUD music in the street below my room. I called the front desk to inquire as to what was transpiring and how long it was expected to continue. I was assured that it would end at 11 p.m. When I checked out the next morning the desk clerk asked whether I enjoyed my stay. I did mention that I was unable to go to sleep before midnight and that had I been informed of this block party I would have asked to be located on the other side of the building. She apparently advised the Sr. Manager of Hotel Operations of my dismay because he telephoned me within a couple of hours of my departure. I did appreciate his quick follow-up and concern that he wants all hotel guests to have an enjoyable stay. He offered an acceptable compensation for the noisy night. I read other reviews but did not find the hotel to be "tired," as it is just celebrating its 2 year anniversary as the Renaissance. The bed was comfortable, and everything was in working order. I would stay here again, but ask for a higher floor or to be in an even-numbered room so as not to face the street on which the hotel fronts if I were to be there on their next anniversary!

Room Tip: Ask to be on a lounge floor if you are a member of the Marriott Rewards program as it is open weekda...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
Marty R, Executive Response Team at Renaissance Phoenix Downtown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 3, 2014

Greetings and thanks so much for your review! I apologize that you did not receive notification about our block party, and that our signage in the lobby was not visible enough. It's great that our senior management responded to you so quickly and offered you acceptable compensation. Regardless of where you might be, if that situation arises again, please contact the front desk and ask to be moved right away - a good night's sleep is what you deserve when travelling! I'm glad you had the chance to encounter our wonderfully friendly and professional Ambassadors - they are the best in the business!

There are newer reviews for Renaissance Phoenix Downtown Hotel

Reviewed February 28, 2014

Had the opportunity to stay here on business recently. The property is pretty tired from the outside, but the management has done it's best to make up for it after you enter. Every staff member I encountered, from bell service, to front desk to anyone simply walking the property, greeted me. The concierge was great. The rooms are nothing to write home about, but they were clean and reasonably well-appointed. Phoenix itself is a bit sleepy for my taste. The hotel itself will benefit from the neighborhood rising up a bit. One entire side of the hotel faces an abandoned building that looks to be being prepared for remodeling. The pool deck is a lot of concrete. Someone with a little imagination could do something with it. Also, the property is in DIRE need of a place on site to get a decent cup of coffee in the am. The little stand in the lobby is insufficient.

Room Tip: Ask NOT to face the abandoned building.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
Marty R, Executive Sales Team at Renaissance Phoenix Downtown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 3, 2014

Thanks so much for staying with us! I wish you'd had an opportunity to experience all the great things downtown Phoenix has to offer - comedy clubs, live theatre, restaurants, night clubs and even a bowling alley! Our exterior is quite unique for sure, and we love the fact that we have the only operable windows in any hotel downtown. Fantastic for this warm winter we're having!

Reviewed February 23, 2014

Yes, it's a Renaissance Hotel in the Marriott chain, but the higher price compared to other downtown big-chain hotels didn't seem to be backed up by much. The Icon Lounge service was great, but the Marston's Cafe breakfast choices were nothing special. Good location for downtown business. Two blocks from the historic St. Mary's Basilica.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
Marty R, Executive Response Team at Renaissance Phoenix Downtown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 24, 2014

Thanks for your feedback and for staying with us. It sounds like your breakfast was a bit disappointing, and I'm so sorry to hear that. We have the best breakfast buffet in town, and our menu choices are selected and prepared by our Executive Chef. I see you're from Wisconsin, but a seasoned traveller - I sincerely hope that when you're back in our neck of the woods, you'll give us another try!

Reviewed February 23, 2014

This hotel and all of its contents are in much need of a renovation. Unfortunately so is the customer service or lack thereof. Our room was old, had antiquated heating/cooling that was ineffective at best. The lights were not working when we first arrived. The hotel double charged us and when I tried to call and complain, the person was argumentative, advised there was no manager, then hung up on me when she stated she would attempt to transfer, then when I called back, it rang and rang til disconnected. I called from a different # and she miraculously answered that time. I will never stay at this location again and I recommend you head this same advise!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Shan143

I am so sorry you had such an unpleasant experience while in our care! What you describe is inexcusable and far below our standards. I’d like to invite you to contact our Director of Room Operations, Jacob Wright at 602-333-5131. He would like to speak to you directly so he can address each of your areas of concern. Again, please accept our sincere apologies. Thank you.

Reviewed February 23, 2014

We did a 'Stay-cation' and had plenty of hotels to choose from in the Phoenix, Scottsdale area. It was a one night stay for Valentines weekend and it was amazing. The Hotel is very nice inside as we expect Renaissance to be and each and every person we made eye contact with, greeted us and asked if there was anything we needed, every time. We stayed in a King Suite which was well appointed and roomy. We had our 3 and 6 year old kids with us and although this is more of a business hotel, they were also doted on by everyone we came in contact with. The restaurant is called Marston's. Our son's name is Marston. They made him feel very special and we ate there twice, such a nice atmosphere. The thing that made this stay better than most, was the people we met who were at work at the hotel. From check in to check out. We met Kate at the front desk who was very helpful and courteous. Other names that we remember were Jacob, Steve Green, Jesse Perry and Tim Quinn. Each of these people went out of their way in different forms to make our stay better. I can't speak highly enough about this property. I stay at hundreds of hotels every year and I am a loyal Marriott patron. And this hotel did not disappoint. Thank you

Room Tip: Whichever room you book, ask for an upgrade. This is the kind of hotel that likes to please so you...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Roheely

Thanks for your loyalty to Marriott, and for your wonderful review of our hotel! We pride ourselves in customer service, and it sounds like you experienced that first hand! How cool that your son's name is Marston - what are the chances?! Even though we are primarily a business hotel, we certainly love having the chance to spoil some kiddos! We sure hope you'll come back soon and bring the little ones!

Reviewed February 20, 2014

The Renaissance is a modestly-upscale hotel in downtown Phoenix, located barely over a block from the US Airways Center (where the Suns play). On the surface, it is a great property - clearly with an updated, quasi-hip vibe - nice modern furnishings in the lobby and the room, and extremely friendly and welcoming staff. They were always available to answer questions and welcome you back. It has good conference facilities and a pretty good gym - with multiple treadmills, ellipticals and a small but workable weight area. It also has an outdoor pool (not quite workable, even in Phoenix in February - but close!) on the fifth floor terrace (also a giant chess set!). The only down-side is that behind this great surface are a few minor problems - mainly in the older bathrooms. The wallpaper behind the WC was peeling, there was a stain in the bathtub, and the faucet would continue to dribble water even when the shower was on. There was a separate dressing area which was nice (outside the bathroom) and a modern TV and coffee-maker. Overall a very good hotel, but not quite perfect.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business

Thanks for staying with us, and for taking the time to write a review. We really count on the feedback we receive to make us the best we can be! We are constantly working on upgrades and repairs and hope you'll come back again so we can show you our latest and greatest!

Reviewed February 7, 2014

I just stayed here for one night while attending a meeting at the convention center. This hotel is a block away from the center and from many of the downtown Phoenix facilities, which places it in a convenient (if somewhat bland) location with lots of restaurants, etc., nearby.

The best thing about this hotel is the staff. I found them to be uniformly attentive and friendly; this made for a wonderful stay. The exec lounge is good, with a nice breakfast. Wifi is spotty, unfortunately - they clearly need to update their wifi infrastructure; speeds fluctuate a lot.

The rooms are pretty standard, as is the bathroom. Everything was very clean and functional, and room appointments are standard for this class of hotel, and certainly acceptable.

The hotel is also only 2 blocks from the light rail station, which makes it quite convenient for airport access, etc.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
Marty R, Executive Response Team at Renaissance Phoenix Downtown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 19, 2014

Thanks very much for sharing your experiences with us! Our Ambassadors go above and beyond when it comes to customer service, and they do it sincerely with the intent of making sure our guests have a great stay with wonderful memories! We hope to see you again soon!