“First Rate Experience”

Ranked #14 of 175 Hotels in Phoenix
San Francisco, California
“First Rate Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2013

I come to Phoenix often, for fun and had the opportunity to stay at the Renaissance Phoenix Downtown this past weekend and absolutely loved it. I found the staff genuinely friendly and helpful. My check-in literally took less than 2 minutes and I was on my way up to my awesome room!

The location is great....steps away from some awesome bars and restaurants like Hanny's (directly across the street)!

I definitely recommend this property for either business or pleasure (hopefully a little of both)!

Room Tip: I stayed in the king suite. Super spacious, great layout, very comfortable.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Marty R, Executive Response Team at Renaissance Phoenix Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Mixing business with pleasure - that's exactly what the Renaissance Phoenix Downtown Hotel is all about! The best of both worlds!
I'm glad you discovered Hanny's, it's such a cool place. I sure hope you'll stay with us more often when you're in town!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2013

The Renaissance Phoenix Downtown was a great stay! The rooms were very pretty and the beds were comfortable. We had a view of the city was was lovely. I was there on a conference, the conference rooms were pretty good. The breakfast was not the best i've had, but ok. The best thing about the hotel was the location! Walking distance from many restaurants and nightlife.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Yep, the views are pretty spectacular! Both day and evening - fantastic. I'm so glad you had a good time while you were here. It sounds like you discovered the really cool nightlife in downtown Phoenix - we rock! Thanks very much for staying with us, and we hope you'll come back.
Boise, Idaho, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2013

Just returned from a conference held at the Renaissance Phoenix Downtown - was a tremendously positive experience, hotel was beautiful, food was great, but it was really the welcoming and helpful staff that made our conference great! So many of them were regularly around, helping our attendees - in particular I'd like to mention Floyd, Zeth, Erubey, Suzanne, Monica, Alan, Eric, Tim, Kathy, Stephanie and Barbara - these people were helpful and often spoke with the attendees, calling them by name and asking what they could do to help. Thanks so much!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
WOW! Our staff is over the moon that you mentioned so many of them by name! Each and every one is absolutely stellar at their job - as is everyone in house. This Renaissance family is the best!
Fairbanks, Alaska
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2013

My first time to Phoenix. Stayed at the Downtown Renaissance Phoenix. Very nice and friendly hotel. All of the staff were very friendly and pleasant. If I was being passed in the elevator, walking through the hotel, passing the front desk, those out front greeting each and every guest as they arrived, everyone had a smile and asked how I was doing asked if I needed anything, how was my stay.
The rooms are spacious, clean with very comfortable beds. It was centrally located to several restaurants, coffee shops, and some shopping. Easy walking distance to many sporting events.
Had drinks and food at the bar in the hotel, could easily recommend as well.
We did have a few small problems with the elevators, but the staff always responded very quickly.
I thoroughly enjoyed by first time visit, and would stay again at this fabulous hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Yay! I'm delighted that your first trip to Phoenix was to our beautiful hotel, and that you had such a lovely experience! The ICON Lounge in the lobby is such a pleasant place to hang out and get comfy, I'm glad you enjoyed it. Can't wait to see you again!
Paris
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2013

The staff were lovely. Helpful. The hotel is conveniently located downtown.They have a wide variety of breakfast. The rooms are very nice with original decorations, well equipped, quiet and well insulated. I travel a lot around the world and I would recommend this hotel for the good ratio quality / price.

Room Tip: take a suite
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
I offer you my very sincere thanks for your review of our property. It was a pleasure to have you with us.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2013

The rooms were spacious and very clean. The hotel staff was extremely helpful and accommodating. Attended a conference in April 2013 and was very pleased with the facilities. Wait staff remembered us and called us by name at meals. Great accommodations, I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
We certainly appreciate your kind review. It feels pretty good when your wait staff calls you by name over the course of several days. We value all our guests and go out of the way to show you exceptional service. Thanks so much!
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2013

I booked a two night stay at this Marriott property for early April. I booked directly through the Marriott website and received a rate of about $219.00. I am a Gold Level Marriott Rewards member. I have stayed at many Renaissance properties and I felt I could expect a modern, comfortable, clean hotel with a modern vibe; which I believe is how Marriott has tried to position the Renaissance brand over the past 5-8 years.

I arrived at this hotel late, around 11:30PM. If it was not so late, after walking into the room, I would have left the hotel. I did leave the first morning, after I had a chance to get some sleep and find a new place to stay.

When I arrived, I pulled into the Valet Parking area in front of the hotel. There was no attendant present. I had to go into the hotel, wait in line at the front desk, then I was able to request someone park my car. For $27.00 per day, I expected better service.

The lobby is modern, clean, comfortable and obviously recently renovated. The front desk team was friendly and helpful at checkin.

Then I went to the elevators. The elevators look like they have not been updated since the 70s -I felt like I was in a county hospital or nursing home while riding the elevator. When I arrived at my floor (18th), I was surprised to find the 18th floor seemed dirty. The ceiling is low, which draws your attention to how dirty the ceiling is (to be honest, I don't know if it is dirty or just painted an unfortunate color, or if it has faded/browned over the years), the carpet is dated, and the hardware is sad looking.

Then I entered my room. I was surprised how small and cramped the room was. I guess this is because it is an older building, which I can understand. But this is supposed to be an upgraded room, so I can't imagine how a standard room looks and feels. In the room, I found that they had hung modern wallpaper and put some dark furniture in a room that badly needed a real renovation.

The tiles in the shower along the edge were not sealed off, so when you face the shower you can see a large gap between the tiles and wall. The tile floor did not align to the wall, so there were gaps between the tile and wall. The ceiling over the shower is very low - my head bumbed the ceiling a few times. The first towel I pulled off the towel rack had some brown marks and clumps on it. The desk in the room was leveled with shims under the legs, but they had not bothered to cut the shims so that they did not stick out from under the furniture - this is both lazy and tacky. The phone in the room looked to be from the 70s. Also, the wireless was spotty in my room and for $12.95 I expected more. The mattress sloped out from the center, so you felt as if you were going to roll out of the bed.

I am afraid this review is not clearly articulating how dirty and gross I found the room, but it is hard to describe.

I will state that the room service, which I ordered for breakfast, was very good. Also, when I called to let the hotel staff know I was disappointed and would be checking out early, they were apologetic and asked if they could do anything to correct the situation. I was too unhappy to consider anything other than leaving, but I do appreciate a team that wants to try to make their guest happy.

I think the major problem with this property is that it has the Marriott Renaissance Brand attached to it. This is a best western or days inn quality property. When I book a Renaissance I expect a certain standard and this property does not meet that standard. Unfortunately, no matter how great the staff / customer service, only a complete overhall of the building can fix this hotels issues.

Also, I think this hotel is posting or purchasing fake reviews, as reading these reviews it is clear they do not reflect this property accurately.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank SMDTraveler
Marty R, Executive Response Team at Renaissance Phoenix Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
First and foremost, we are very sorry that you had the experiences you did while staying with us. What you described falls far short of our expectations and we are all over it! We take all feedback very seriously, both good and not so good. We value it as a learning tool, and we act on it immediately. We have a tremendous amount of very loyal guests, and one of the reasons is because they know that should they encounter a problem of any kind, that we will not waste time in rectifying the situation. We are grateful that you shared with us, and thank you. If you would like contact us to talk about this further, please get in touch with Jacob Wright at 602-333-0000. Thanks again, and I hope you'll give us another try.