“ambivalent about my stay”

Renaissance Phoenix Downtown Hotel
Ranked #14 of 175 Hotels in Phoenix
Brooklyn, New York
“ambivalent about my stay”
Reviewed March 22, 2013

I chose this hotel since it was the official conference hotel. The hotel staff were very pleasant, friendly, and attempted to be helpful. The room was clean. The valet service to provide my car was quick and efficient. It seemed strange to me that with the very friendly staff that seemed helpful, that my one complaint was not addressed. I mentioned to the staff by the reception desk that the printer for the computer by the business center did not have any ink to print content. I also mentioned that both of the computers in the business center were exceedingly slow and kept on providing error messages. I mentioned this on Sunday night. When I checked out on Tuesday, these issues were still not addressed. I am unsure why this hotel appears to train their staff to have excellent interpersonal skills but the hotel is not efficient in making any necessary repairs when a guest reports a complaint.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Marty R, Executive Response Team at Renaissance Phoenix Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
I am very sorry that the situations you encountered in our Business Center were not addressed as quickly as they should have been. There is nothing more important than assisting a guest and resolving any issue as soon as humanly possible, and we fell short in this case. It sounds like the rest of your stay was flawless - and I'm glad of that! Thanks so much for the feedback!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
Chattanooga, Tennessee
Reviewed March 19, 2013

I have stayed at many hotels, and I cannot remember the last time I was this disappointed in a hotel. I have heard his hotel has been "refurbished," but I suspect most of the work took place in the lobby. When you reach the elevators, they are filthy. The hallways to the rooms are dingy and dark, and carpet is dirty, and doors to the rooms look like they have not been cleaned at all in 30 years. I felt like I had checked into a flop house. The room itself looks like it straight out of the 1970s. The deco is dark, and one hour into my arrival, I killed the biggest roach I have ever seen. After than I was never comfortabe in my room. I could never get the temperatre right -- it was always too hot or too cold, and I tried multiple times to go to the gift shop downstairs to get a cheap beverage and a snack, and EVERYTIME I went, the person who runs the gift shop was taking a break. I once waiting 30 minutes, and she never returned. The hotel does have a gift shop, but I never managed to find it open. The Phoenix Sheraton is three blocks away and it s much better experience for the money. AVOID THIS PLACE. IT IS A DUMP!!!!

Room Tip: Go t another hotel!
1 Thank EllaGrossi
Marty R, Executive Response Team at Renaissance Phoenix Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Thank you very much for your honest and direct feedback. We consider it a gift as it enables us to learn and grow and change what needs to be changed. I am deeply sorry about your experiences – they are well below our expectations. We would love to know more specifics so that we can address them immediately. I invite you to connect with me directly – 602-333-0000 and ask for Marty.

We converted to a Marriott a little over a year ago, and we are methodically chipping away at updates – it’s a big job! Thanks very much for your time.
Toronto
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Paying well past $300 for a hotel where the TV doesn't work, where you asked for a king bed (and the front desk confirmed that) and you get a small room with two doubles within earshot of the elevators...does this sound right to you? Yes, the hotel had a few things going for it...decent location...but this was not worth the price at all.

• Stayed March 2013
Marty R, Executive Response Team at Renaissance Phoenix Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
WOW... we are so sorry that we did not follow through on what we committed. Due to this post, we are going to revisit our process fulfilling requestes to minimize the chance of this happening again. Thank you for sharing!
North Canton, Ohio
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Great locale close to everything in downtown Phoenix so walking or taking the ligth rail is easy. Just been renovated with all the rooms and main facilities--nice decor. The lobby is a little dark but comfortable and lots of places for small groups to gather and you can talk within those groups easily and not be drowned out by the surrounding noise. Nice lounge bar with a reverse happy hour that does not start til later in the evening with half price food and drinks.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
It sounds like you had an excellent experience with us, and we are very delighted! Thanks for sharing all this fantastic information with all the great folks who also use Trip Advisor. Please come back and stay with us as soon as you can!
DFW
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Checked in on Sunday night, very quick and easy. Room on 18th floor overlooking pool, 9 out of 10 for the room, too dim (thanks to the CFL bulbs in every light). Got a great work out in the gym on 5th floor. Tried to have dinner in the lobby bar/lounge with 3 colleagues, waited about 15 minutes and decided to get our own menus to help, dinner finally showed up after 2 rounds of very slowly nursed beers, asparagus was burned, mashed potatoes were cold, salmon was screaming hot (a.k.a. over cooked), and if you were wondering it wasn't because they were busy the place was mostly deserted. Stuck to the concierge lounge for breakfast, very nice with pleasant staff. Thought about having lunch in lobby restaurant, but when I went down I walked into the restaurant, there was one table of diners, I slowly walked around all the tables and back out because I only had 45 minutes to burn not hours and hours so went else where. Enjoyed the concierge lounge again for dessert and drinks in the evening, and again for a nice breakfast. Waited for 30 minutes for valet car on way home. Could have been a near perfect business trip, but until they can get the folks on the lobby level to have some desire to provide timely service, I would recommend enjoying the amenities on the 5th and 19th floor and going else where for meals and beverages.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thank you very much for taking the time to post and provide your feedback. Glad to hear that you enjoyed your room, our brand new Elevate Club Lounge and that you were able to get in an effective workout while staying with us! A 30 minute wait for your car at valet is extraordinary and certainly not our standard and your experience in ICON Lounge is also the exception not the norm. If you have the time, I would like to personally discuss your experience with you. Please call me directly at 602-333-5200. Thank you, Paige Lund – General Manager
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Arrived late (11pm) and found the valet parking was friendly and easy. The lobby bar was lively and the guest rooms are beautiful. Excellent and friendly service from the staff. They gave me a deal on the wireless access ($10 off if combined with valet parking). Attending a meeting in Salon1-2. The space is comfortable, clean, modern and fresh. Lovely outdoor pool area and full service restaurant. Would definitely return.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
How wonderful to be greeted by a warm and friendly valet after a long day of travel and a late arrival! ICON Lounge is very often lively throughout the evening and our Ambassadors are the best in the biz! Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts!
DeLand, Florida
Reviewed March 12, 2013

First, I would like to thank Emmanuel and Macy of Reception for their outstanding professionalism and understanding on how they rectified my problem with my reservation.
Both went way above the call of duty to help me. These young people are an example of taking pride in your job and being the best of what they do.

Second, is the staff of ELEVATE , the Elite member lounge. Some of the most helpful and professional people, in particular, Dora and Benjamin.

The whole experience here is delightful.

I would recommend this property to anyone who wants to stay in downtown Phoenix.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
That's what I'm talkin' about! Emmanuel and Macy are part of the Renaissance team who are all the best at what they do! They totally get it - and yes, they take great pride in their jobs.
ELEVATE - our brand new Marriott Elite Club member lounge hosted by the spectacular team of Ben, Dora and Albert! They really make it an experience to remember!
Thanks for mentioning them by name - I'll be sure they see your gracious comments!