“The place to stay in Downtown Phoenix”

Renaissance Phoenix Downtown Hotel
Ranked #16 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
Reviewed October 19, 2012

We couldn't have picked a better place to stay for our 3 night stay for the convention we attended. First class all the way. Our beautiful room was located on the pool level. This allowed us to directly walk out onto the grand deck, just steps from the outside pool - no going through the halls or on the elevator. The room was well appointed and fresh, and the bed was very comfortable-very high on the list of 'must haves' for me-definitely a must for me to give 5 stars. Staff was great, especially the valet and bell staff. Would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Definitely request a room on the pool level with direct access to the deck.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Marty R, Executive Response Team at Renaissance Phoenix Downtown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2012

THE place to stay downtown! That's what I'm talkin' about! Being on the 5th floor with the pool, fitness center and the terrace is about as good as it gets, especially if you plan on using those amenities. We're so happy you slept well on our comfy beds - they are the best! We sincerely hope you do come back so we can continue to WOW you! Thanks so much.

Reviewed October 17, 2012

stayed here 9/10/12 thru 9/13/12 - absolutely the best hotel experience I've had in my business travel over the last 12 years; very clean & quiet; staff very accommodating; restaurant staff and food was excellent; location just 3 blocks from the Convention Center

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Marty R, Executive Response Team at Renaissance Phoenix Downtown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 19, 2012

I love the word 'Phenomenal', especially when it's attached to a fabulous review of our hotel! Our goal is to have each and every guest walk away feeling the way you do - thanks for the kudos, and come back soon!

Reviewed October 14, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for 5 nights - he attended a conference (great location for that) and I was on my own. First impressions weren't great. Receiptionist at booking wasn't friendly whatsoever - bad day or something and that set the tone. She was very distant. THEN there was Floyd - a porter. He made up for everything. Couldn't have had more personality.

Room was satisfactory - nothing more. TV sucked - needed to have someone come in to fix it. Getting rooms cleaned was a big 'production' at times and always someone knocking and checking up on cleaning staff.

Gym and pool were alright. We stayed on 5th floor so that was convenient. As well, they checked us in early without making a big issue - that was great, and let us stay 2 hours later - that was great as well. Very accomodating

Best secret was restaurant - Steve's across the street - down one block. Awesome in every way. American cooking - relaxed.

..Sad part is - there is nothing going on downtown. Very little shopping to be had. Wednesdays (4 - 8 pm) Saturday mornings 8 - 12) there was a fun market. Enjoyed that. Lots of homeless meandering around so I didn't always feel safe. Merchants hired people in orange shirts (forget name) community hosts were everywhere to offer assistance in any way - info - a walk somewhere, etc. Great strategy. Some day the downtown will be totally wonderful again. For now - they are trying to make downtown come alive again.

Room Tip: Fifth floor was good - convenient with pool and gym right there.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

Our Floyd is what we call a Lobby Ambassador - he knows everything about, and everyone in, the downtown area! He's a true treasure! Sorry to hear about your experience at check in, that has been addressed and additional training is in the schedule. Thank you very much for your feedback, and we hope to see you again!

Reviewed October 12, 2012

Attending a conference at the Phoenix Convention Center? This excellent hotel is just two short blocks away. Also, the light rail from the airport stops right across the street (highly recommend). All staff I encountered were professional, friendly, and efficient. When I had a problem with the TV, engineering staff was up in a flash. Room and bathroom were as clean as could be. Much needed coffee ($2 with free refills) in the lobby in a.m. HVAC worked well and super quiet.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Marty R, Executive Response Team at Renaissance Phoenix Downtown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2012

It sounds like you had a stellar experience with us, and we are so delighted! We are indeed very proud of our Ambassadors and the service they provide each and every guest. Our location is so convenient to the Convention Center and everything fun to do in downtown Phoenix. Thanks very much!

Reviewed October 11, 2012

This is my first stay while attending a conference. While the property is older, it has been nicely updated and the location is excellent. The staff service is outstanding and anyone staying should get to know Rhonda in the Icon Lounge, she makes you feel at home!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

Our Rhonda - what a gem! She's been with us for 38 years, and the stories she can tell will keep you capitvated for hours! Thanks for your kind words - I know Rhonda will smile when she sees your comments!

Reviewed October 9, 2012

I am staying here for six days to attend a conference.

The bed and pillows are so good. The room is not too lage but adequate in size.

The restaurant is very good. Breakfast has the best range of cut fresh fruit we have encountered in any hotel across 5 States over the last month of travelling. We had a lunch of hummus and guacamole (recipe from the Chef's grandmother!) which was very fresh indeed AND no auto side of French fries!! Hooray! Restaurant staff are curtious nd attentive.

The only staff person we encountered that was a little under par was the receptionist on booking in. It was a retake from Fawlty Towers as she was mechanical and displayed no warmth or greeting. I often tell my 500 staff that "you only get one chance at creating a good first impression" and she failed. However, to be fair, from the car valet to the luggage staff and all others they more than made up for this minor experience.

The hotel is well located in the downtown area and my wife and I are happy here.

The pool is not to lage but more than adequate

Room Tip: Go for the light and healthy breakfast which is excellent value for money nd enjoy he fruit
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Marty R, Executive Response Team at Renaissance Phoenix Downtown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2012

Please accept our apology for your less than stellar check in experience. It is always our goal to ensure that every experience you have at the Renaissance Phoenix Downtown Hotel is above and beyond. As to our food in Marston's Cafe - yes, it's fantastic! We're so glad you enjoyed our Chef's personal recipe for guacamole! Thanks for your feedback and enjoy the rest of your stay with us!

Reviewed October 7, 2012

I normally do not include reviews on anything but I thought this time it would be helpful.

Yesterday we checked into the hotel and noticed that the air conditioning was not working in our room but I didn't think much about it because I thought it would start working eventually. I was wrong, the AC did not start working and the room was quite warm when we came back from our evening activities.

After discussing the problem with my wife, we decided that it was simply too warm in the room to be comfortable so off to the front desk I went.

It was late in the evening so I didn't know what to expect from the limited staff on hand. Emanuel was working the desk at the time and could not have been more helpful. He researched the availability of rooms in the building and found a great replacement for our original room assignment. Emanuel was friendly, courteous, kind and willing to do whatever was needed to manage our expectations.

The excellent customer service has not been limited to only the front desk! I have had contact with several staff members and found all of them to be warm and comfortable in their assignments.

Customer Servis Thoughts...I think this staff understands customer service!

Keep up the good work.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

Fantastic customer service - that's what I'm talkin' about! I'm so sorry that you had a problem with your air conditioning, and I'm so delighted that it was handled with such professionalism and consideration! Emanuel is a treasure! Thanks for the feedback, and we hope you'll stay with us again soon!