“Disappointing for a Rennaissance.”

Renaissance Phoenix Downtown Hotel
Ranked #16 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
Reviewed April 9, 2012

The lobby looks great and the staff is friendly but this hotel needs a lot of improvements. The valet service is slow and you can't self park. You can't get espresso at the coffee bar. The rooms could be cleaner (black stuff around inside of toilet). The walls are thin and noise from hall and surrounding rooms is easily heard. The staff are very friendly but can't make up for the average accommodations.

• Stayed: April 2012
Marty R, Executive Response Team at Renaissance Phoenix Downtown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 10, 2012

Hey Michahlh, Our goal is to ensure that every guest received prompt service and a clean, fresh room - every stay, every day! I'm sorry you experienced slow service and less than perfect housekeeping. We hope you'll give us another go!

Reviewed April 6, 2012

Stayed 3 nights here for business meetings. I'm a Marriott Platinum which they acknowledged when I checked in and told me they gave me a nice room. Later I found out that 2 of my colleagues who are Silvers in the program were upgraded to suites and sent notes from the manager saying how thrilled they were to have them staying. I received neither an upgrade nor a note so I guess my high degree of loyalty to Marriott doesn't matter at this hotel! The room was nice and beds were comfy but the A/C didn't work. It took them an hour to fix it and then they left plaster and who knows what else all over my carpet so I had to call down again to ask for someone to vacuum. The front desk staff was only mildly helpful but the staff supporting our meeting were very nice. Lobby was beautiful but as others have said there are obvious areas they haven't addressed in the renovation. I said Hail Mary's every time I got in the elevator as it frequently stopped a couple inches above or below the floor and I felt it was only a matter of time before I got stuck. The concierge lounge is very limited although the free breakfast they offered instead was quite nice. The gym is in serious need of an overhaul. Several of the machines were broken completely or partially. My team has frequent meetings in Phoenix but I don't believe we'll use this hotel again. It's too much of a mixed bag.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank TLL07

Hello TLL07 - Thanks for your comments! Our most sincere apologies for the service failures you experienced, especially by not affording you the same level of appreciation you deserve as a loyal Marriott Platinum member. Your observations on our temporary concierge lounge are spot on. We can't wait to introduce you to our chic club lounge that's due to open in December of 2012. We still have areas in which we can improve during our transition, and genuinely hope you will give us the opportunity to show you how far we've come by staying with us again. Hope to see you soon!

Reviewed April 1, 2012

I stayed here for one night on business, I was surprised by the hotel. I have never stayed at a Renaissance property and this was a really nice hotel. Close to restaurants and a short walk to the US Airways Center for the Suns game. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank MJL395
Marty R, Executive Response Team at Renaissance Phoenix Downtown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2012

Hello MJL395 - Surprise and delight - that's our motto! Glad we surprised you in such a fantastic way!

Reviewed March 30, 2012

Stayed for a week on business and enjoyed the stay quite extensively. Parking is a nightmare whether you try to park on the street or pay exorbitant parking fees, but the hotel itself was a great experience all around. The room was very comfortable and all the amenities were exactly what I needed.

Room Tip: It seemed that the only way to park was to utilize the valet parking service. Didn't realize yo...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Matt M

Hi Matt, we're so pleased you enjoyed your week with us - hurry back!

Reviewed March 29, 2012

This place used to be a Wyndham Hotel IIRC, and is now a Renaissance. So far, so good. Nice location, close to offices, civic center, sports complexes, etc., with a reasonable amount of bars and restaurants close by. Also adjacent to the light rail system, which offers a convenient connection to a bus that takes you to Sky Harbor. Check in was fast and painless, and the room was standard Renaissance (that's a good thing). A solid option if downtown Phoenix is your destination.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Dorkus

Thanks for the kudos! We are in the perfect location for enjoying all that downtown Phoenix has to offer. Our Ambassadors will help navigate you to all the cool things to do and places to go!

Reviewed March 29, 2012

We required 2 nights accomodation in Phoenix during a very busy time.Unable to get something in Goodyear we opted to stay downtown.We wre able to get a room at the Renaissance.The staff at check in were extremely welcoming and accomodating.Seeing we had 5 in our family they gave us a large corner suite that turned out to be just fantastic.Beds were comfortable,coffee maker in the room was very good.Fridge was usefull .Pool and work out facilities were excellent.For the price you will not go wrong staying here.Walking distance to many interesting venues and light rail right across the street.

Room Tip: Corner suites are large and quieter.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
Marty R, Executive Response Team at Renaissance Phoenix Downtown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 30, 2012

Thanks for staying with us at the Renaissance Phoenix Downtown!
It's wonderful to read that you had such a delightful experience, and we look forward to seeing you again!

Reviewed March 27, 2012

Pretty rooms, delicious breakfast, and absolutely loony service some of the time, but I'd still stand by my "excellent" raiting. I love that the windows open!

Room Tip: Any rooms should be fine.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank dianaholbert
Marty R, Executive Response Team at Renaissance Phoenix Downtown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 29, 2012

Greetings dianaholbert ~

We are absolutely delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us! And how cool that our windows open! We are the only hotel downtown with that fantastic feature - let the fresh air in! We look forward to your next stay with us!