“Great Location and Great Service”

Renaissance Phoenix Downtown Hotel
Ranked #14 of 173 Hotels in Phoenix
Reviewed March 12, 2012

I am Platinum Elite with Marriott and travel throughout the country for business, spending the majority of my time on the road at other Marriotts.

I have also been to downtown Phoenix in the past and found the hotels and restaurants in the area subpar. I recently stayed at the Renaissance during a business trip and was very pleasantly surprised with the quality of this hotel. While there are still updates needed to the corridors; the lobby, the rooms, and the food/bar are great. Also the staff's service and friendliness far exceeded expectations.

I will choose this hotel again in the future and look forward to returning this spring for baseball. With the Renaissance, I will definitely choose to stay downtown instead of in Scottsdale when I'm here.

• Stayed: January 2012
1  Thank Jwk222

Reviewed March 12, 2012

The Renaissance Phoenix Hotel is ideally located near all of the major downtown attractions. The front desk was very helpful. Marie, at the front desk, did a great job at check-in and throughout my stay. Floyd, the doorman, was very helpful and offered information about the area. The staff impressed me by remembering my name throughout my stay. The shower was great. The water was hot!

Room Tip: The newly remodeled junior suites offer bright colors and are very welcoming.
Reviewed March 9, 2012

The location is great and when you walk in you get the feeling this is very high end hotel. But inside things were very disorganized and chaotic. I don't think they have doormen any more because I never talked to one the three nights I stayed there. Also the check in process was hard to figure out because there are three different entrances. It turns out I was in the wrong queue because there weren't any markers or signs telling me where to stand. In between all this, the drunk businessmen at the bar were making such a racket that it would have been hard to understand what anyone was saying... if anyone bothered to try to help me, that is.

After surviving the checkin, I was really surprised how weak the facilities were inside the room. First, it was kind of small. I had to move furniture before I could open the ironing board all the way. If I was thirsty after waiting through the check-in queues, I would have to come up with $5 to enjoy the bottle of water they kindly placed in the room for me.

The coffee machine was a single cup format. And the cups were foam. The linens didn't completely cover the mattress so the corners popped open during the night. The internet comes at over $10. Painful! This is the year 2012, not 1998 so there is no excuse for charging sky high prices when even a cheap motel can figure out how to offer high-speed internet for free. And of course, you don't want to accidentally order room service at $4.50 per bagel.

But at least they offer you a foam cup of nice quality tea downstairs in the lobby. Enjoy that until you can figure out how to find food in downtown Phoenix.

Reviewed March 9, 2012

The Renaissance Downtown is an outstanding hotel. The staff were all very helpful and accomidating. I can't even express how pleased I was with the service from the front desk, to the consierge, to the valets. We were in town to watch spring training in the MLB's Cactus League. All of the stadiums that we attended were within 30 minutes of the hotel. We were able to cool off from the Arizona sun in the rooftop pool. Very Nice. For dinner we were able to walk to many restaurants in the downtown area. I would definately stay at the Renaissance again, should I make another trip to Phoenix.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Jeff B
Reviewed March 8, 2012

To start with, this is a pretty average Renaissance. Similar to most of the others I've stayed at. One thing that did stick out was how awesome the Front Desk was. We were going to a Suns game and needed to print our tickets. Amanda at the Front Desk really helped us out, and she was able to print them off for us at no cost (the concierge wanted us to pay $7 for 2 pieces of paper...).

Two things that were really disappointing about my stay:
- The valet service was pretty horrible. In the morning, I would call 15 minutes before I wanted my car (they recommend 10) and my keys would still be hanging on the board when I went downstairs to fetch my car. I also had brought my car back and told them to keep it out since I was leaving again in 10 minutes. I went downstairs, and it was back in the garage. Luckily the restaurant held my reservation.
- The shower was also horrible. Most renaissances have the waterfall shower heads, and this one had one from the 80s. There was usually no water pressure when I showered at 5am, and the water was cold every morning except my last one there. I had to wash my hair in the sink multiple times.

I didn't have a choice of my hotel, but I would probably stay at a Marriott instead just so I know the consistency is there. The Front Desk was OUTSTANDING through and so were the people I talked to in DTS.

Room Tip: Try to get one of the renovated rooms!
1  Thank corey_sebes
Reviewed March 4, 2012

This hotel is well situated in downtown Phoenix for the convention center (just a few short blocks), sports facilities or downtown office towers. It is a quick 15 minute or less cab ride (or Light Rail ride) to PHX. Note that downtown Phoenix is one of those places where the sidewalks are rolled up after dark unless there is an event on at the arena or ball park. While the area feels safe after dark, be prepared for a lot of empty store fronts. The hotel and rooms have been renovated reletively recently, but it is hard to mask that this is an aging hotel in a struggling downtown. LInenes were on the cheap side and room amenities inferior to other Renaissance Hotels I have been in previoulsy. Staff are very pleasant and made me feel welcome. Would not stay here again unless I specifically had to be in downtown Phoenix

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed March 2, 2012

I really enjoyed my 5 day stay at the Renaissance Phoenix Downtown. Floyd Jones, Doorman, made me feel at home everyday. He greeted me by name every morning on my way to meetings, and every evening when I returned. His positive energy is a valuable asset to the hotel. Food was also great, housekeeping excellent, and front desk & navigator helpful.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business