“Wonderful staff, drab facilities”

Best Western Airport Inn
Ranked #51 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
USA
“Wonderful staff, drab facilities”
Reviewed December 27, 2008

I stayed here while stranded at PHX Skyharbor due to a flight that was diverted in air back to Phoenix :-(. The price was right and I did not feel like paying $150 for a room at Hampton Inn or Garden Inn where I would rather stay. While this hotel needs a major renovation, I had absolutely no problems with my stay. Yah it's not that nicest place, but the bathroom was spotless. The room and hallways very drab, but adequate. Free wi-fi worked just fine. Got a good night's sleep. Where the place really shined was in their service. I forgot my iPhone charger in the room and wanted it shipped to me since they are not cheap, and the staff were so very helpful in mailing it to me. I have heard stories about places saying they will mail you a lost item and it never appearing, but they went above and beyond for me. Even running back up to my room while on hold to make sure they could locate the item. Sandra was super nice about the whole thing and made sure to mail it to me promptly and it arrived about a week later. If this place would renovate and make some upgrades, it would be a blessing to so many people who are forced to stay in airport hotels. Overall, I'm not sorry I stayed there and if I could not find a decent price at my preferred hotel chains, I would stay again.

• Liked — Staff
  • Disliked — Drab facilities
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank skiadct

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
Indian Harbour Beach, Florida
Reviewed November 12, 2008

If you can possibly stay somewhere else , do so !!!! The walls are paper thin , we had a hard time sleeping due to the fact we heard the guy next door to us !!! We had to catch a flight the next day early in the morning !!

• Stayed November 2008
Washington, DC
Reviewed October 25, 2008

I spent an extra day in Phoenix at my own expense following a business meeting and needed a clean, safe place near the airport to get some rest prior to my early morning flight. This hotel seemed to be the cheapest/ non-scary option that could provide me with a ride to Phoenix Sky Harbor Airport.

The reception staff were very friendly and helpful and the shuttle van arrived exactly when they said it would. The accommodation was pretty basic, but I didn't really need anything fancy. The mattress was comfortable, the sheets were a little bit worn and there was a hairdryer, TV, mini-fridge and a basic assortment of soaps/ shampoo/ conditioner provided. There is a pool, gym and a diner-type restaurant on-site, but I did not have an opportunity to use them.

As an aside, I was very grateful I did spend my final night in Phoenix close to the airport as I discovered that the Phoenix Airport is a madhouse on Saturday mornings. It took me 45 minutes to get through the security lines! If I hadn't arrived early, I would certainly have missed my flight.

• Liked — Shuttle vans to airport
  • Disliked — Sheets were a little scratchy and worn
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled solo
Letart,West Virginia
Reviewed October 14, 2008

Nice clean place to stay while at the airport. Staff was friendly and helpful. Eating places were far from the hotel

• Liked — wireless internet
  • Disliked — places to eat were too far to go
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
Pembroke, New Hampshire
Reviewed September 30, 2008

We stayed at that hotel on the 1st & last night of our trip to the Grand Canyon & Sedona. We chose that hotel for the proximity to the airport & the reviews. We were very pleased with the staff. We were given good tips on location to visit the 1st morning there. On the day before my return flight , I called them & ask if they would print my boarding pass right 24 hours exactly before my departure even if I would arrive later in the day. They did it promptly and I was in group B. I was very pleased with that. The room was ok, comfortable bed

The only negative. The breakfast at the Road House restaurant can be very expensive, everything is charged separately, toast, coffee & juice..

• Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
Eugene, Oregon
Reviewed May 20, 2008

Our plane arrived late and the shuttle was there to pick us up, the rooms were very comfortable and we had good service in the restaurant. What more can you want....the place was clean and we were treated with respect. I will come back.

• Liked — Bed was comfortable
  • Disliked — Nothing I can think of
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
Fort Wayne, Indiana
Reviewed April 19, 2008

Spent one night here to catch an early next morning flight. The property is old and not in a great part of town - there is nothing nearby worth noting (except the airport).

Our room was clean and quiet. Front desk staff was efficient, but not particularly friendly. Not rude, just efficient.

The airport shuttle is wonderful. We returned our rental car the evening before our flight and with just a phone call to the front desk, they picked us up and returned us to the hotel. The morning shuttle was prompt.

This is not a place to stay for "vacation." It's purely utilitarian, but served its purpose well. We opted to have a pizza delivered rather than eat in the attached restaurant. There was nothing within walking distance to go to, and it didn't appear to be an area in which you would want to go walking. It's a little pricey for the quality, but you're paying for the convenience of the airport proximity and shuttle.

All of that said, I would definitely stay here again if my travel plans included a very early morning flight out of Sky Harbor Airport.

• Liked — Proximity to Sky Harbor airport and free shuttle to airport.
  • Disliked — Nothing appealing about the neighborhood.
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family