We actually booked this property through RCI (Resorts Club International). I had asked when I made the reservation for a kind/two twin set up as we were traveling with our two teen/adult daughters. The first problem was finding the property as they are listed with RCI as the Desert Arroyo Resort. The property is in an industrial park, which is actually fine and the adjoining nature reserve is great for hiking.
I ran inside to ask if this Worldmark by Wyndham was the Desert Arroyo. I hadn't even gotten to the desk when a time share sales person asked me to come to his desk so that he could "tell me about the area". I said I preferred to wait until after I checked in. Hubby and the girls joined me in line. We checked in and were told about the two pools, two hot tubs and fitness room. Then we spoke with Mr. Salesman who shows us a tub diverter faucet so we would know how to take a shower. He gave us some menus and asked us to fill out a paper "just for our records, it won't be shared with anyone." On that paper was a request for our home, email, phone and annual income. My husband said, "Isn't the information on the check in what the hotel needs?" "Yes, but this is just for us." We refused to provide the information. We also declined an invitation to a free breakfast and 50-minute presentation in exchange for $125. These breakfasts are usually terrible and at least 3x 50 minutes.
Got to our room. One queen and a king. Called the desk and "because you are with RCI you cannot have a room with two twins" (also no garage noted by others here). We took the room with the queen and gave the master suite to our girls. On first glance the unit looks nice. However, the unit did not feel really clean. Our feet were filthy each evening and we weren't walking outdoors without shoes. The kitchen was VERY poorly outfitted for cooking, although I am happy that the resort provided basic spices, 4 coffee filters and two packs of coffee.
Upon going out to the pool, the first day, we noticed about 20 people in one hot tub, 0 in another and only kids in the pools. Apparently no one else had told the front desk and the issue was fixed on the reminder of our trip. Most of the rooms are built around the pool. It was very loud in the bedrooms 10 am on, once the pool was open.
The area is a little shady, so it might not be the best for families wanting to shop or dine nearby. The reason I say this is on one afternoon, we dropped out daughters at the Arizona Mills, an outlet mall close by. Our daughter later related that she had seen a large pool of blood in the main area of the mall with security guards surrounding it. We later learned that the prior day someone had been shot in the parking lot by police after some type of altercation. The girls also said that there are some type of rv-vehicles with stuffed animal bodies upon which children are cruising around the mall, with seemingly little to no adult supervision.
With the range of other properties, I would definitely not return to this one. I found the front desk staff pleasant. Others I spoke with on the grounds (maintenance and housekeeping) were also very nice. Time share sales people too in your face. Public bathroom is next to sales desk. Got solicited a couple of times when using the rest room.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- It is nearly impossible for anyone who is in any way sensitive to the beauty and grandeur of nature to stand in this special place and not feel the power that the Pimas refer to as the strong medicine of the South Mountain Preserve. Here, we have rediscovered a special place to share with our owners and guests. This is truly a place of deep relaxation and natural beauty. A place gently cradled in the largest regional wilderness park preserve in the country which covers over 50 square miles of pristine Sonoran desert. Surrounded by unspoiled panoramas and teeming with a stunning variety of wildlife that belongs to this desert community, it is seemingly a remote retreat, minutes from downtown Phoenix. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotwire, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Cancelon, Priceline, TripOnline SA, HotelsClick and HotelQuickly so you can book your WorldMark Phoenix - South Mountain Preserve reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Desert Arroyo Hotel Phoenix
- Canyonview Hotel Phoenix
- Canyonview Hotel South Mountain Preserve