Western Destinations Canyon Creek Ranch - Tours
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Canyon Creek Ranch is nestled on 130 breathtaking acres in Cold Water Canyon, just twenty miles north of Phoenix in Black CanyonCity, Arizona. The ranch is surrounded by 71,000 acres of National Monument land, featuring rugged hills, fantastic volcanic formations, ancient Native American petroglyphs and the Agua Fria River. The ranch offers great views of the surrounding mountains and miles of natural Sonoran desert to explore and enjoy.
Reviewed June 13, 2014

From the instant we saw Mike, we knew we were in for an honest to goodness great western ranch riding experience. I showed up wearing breeches, however ... ha. Mike and all the ranch hands were considerate and kind about that, but, I suppose, they knew they were going to put a tomahawk and bow and arrows in my hand at some point. We laughed and made jokes all day. The fabulous riding adventure aside, I have 3 horses of my own and a small farm so I take notice of the "conditions" of the animals and their home. I was happy to see the horses were well cared for, well trained and their surroundings were clean and well kept. I'll go back to Canyon Creek Ranch, if not for my vacation horse fix, certainly to have some laughs and share honest horse stories. Give Disco a hug for me until I return, guys.

2  Thank Rancher81
Write a ReviewReviews (1,355)
All reviews
in 15 reviews
"city slickers"
in 20 reviews

Reviewed June 11, 2014 via mobile

We first rode with Western Destinations in 2011, just my wife and I. This time our two sons were along for the fun. A great time was had by all and it is more than just riding a horse. The riding alone is fun but this is a full experience with knowledgable guide and always a private trip. We did not have lunch on the trail this time but we did throw some axes and do a little shooting while we were out. Of course the scenery is amazing and the setting is peaceful and relaxing. This adventure is a must!

Reviewed May 29, 2014

We did the tour two years ago and it was brilliant, so I was fully expecting that we would not enjoy it as much this year. In fact it was even better! Rusty was excellent from start to finish and really brought the desert to life with his knowledge and stories. The western games were so much fun because they were fully explained and time was never an issue. We were only disappointed that the river was dry again, so we didn't get the chance to ride across. However, a return is on the itinerary for our next Arizona vacation. Fingers crossed for a river crossing. If you get the chance then do this tour as you will not stop smiling!

Reviewed May 24, 2014

My review is a bit late in coming but I wanted to say how much my husband and I LOVED this ranch and staff. We did a half day ride in late April and it was fantastic. In fact, we recommended it to others at our hotel and they went the following day and told us how much they enjoyed it as well. Horses are very well groomed and the scenery was wonderful. Don't know where else you are able to get a private ride for only $125, every dollar well spent. In fact, this was the highlight of our trip. We are quite well traveled and this was one of the best events we ever have done. This ranch has even built a mock old Western ghost town in the middle of the dessert that you stop at and you will be the only ones there. Complete with a salon (fully stocked I might add with water, beer, wine & spirits at no extra charge), hotel, jail, tepee, etc. We were able to shoot pistols (yes, real bullets) and try our hand at throwing tomahawks. Such great photo opportunities. If you are ever in this area, do not miss doing this tour. For me, my only complaint (I am female), was that we had a cowgirl lead our ride and not a cowboy. Of course, this pleasured my husband and she really was very knowledgeable and friendly. She promised if we came back, I would get a cowboy next time, LOL! Next time we are in Scottsdale or the surrounding area, we will definitely take this ride again. No one should miss this. You will not be disappointed. It is rated the #1 attraction and gets 5 stars for a reason.