“Amazing Experience”

Western Destinations Canyon Creek Ranch - Tours
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Canyon Creek Ranch is nestled on 130 breathtaking acres in Cold Water Canyon, just twenty miles north of Phoenix in Black CanyonCity, Arizona. The ranch is surrounded by 71,000 acres of National Monument land, featuring rugged hills, fantastic volcanic formations, ancient Native American petroglyphs and the Agua Fria River. The ranch offers great views of the surrounding mountains and miles of natural Sonoran desert to explore and enjoy.
Reviewed July 23, 2013

My daughter found this place online, looking for something fun to do while in Az. Based on the prior reviews we had high expectations...Well, this place was amazing the prior reviews were right! We were treated like part of the family...horseback riding along side the mountains and afterwards dinner (Steak!!), also other fun activities. Can't say enough about this place, would definitely go back! Had a great time thanks for everything "Cowboy Rich"!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,394)
All reviews
"learned how"
in 28 reviews
"personal guide"

Reviewed July 22, 2013

My husband, I and our 5 year old son travelled to Arizona to visit family this past June. We decided to take our son to the Canyon Creek Ranch based on the reviews we had read.

I have ridden horses most of my life, although I am NOT a skilled rider. I opted to not wear a helmut which was my first mistake. I have never worn a helmut and have ridden both English and Western.

Our trip started out uneventful enough until we got to river bed which was about 15 minutes into the tour. My horse stopped at the bank and wouldn't go any further. The horse stopped because the saddle, which wasn't secured properly at the stables, was too loose and slid off my horse. It was so sudden that I was immediately dumped onto the river rocks, landing on both my back and head.

We spent the next 45 minutes in the river bed cleaning my head wound and waiting for management to meet us with ice, water and bandages. Our tour guide (Doobie-sp?) was kind enough to take the shirt off his back to help stop the bleeding from the back of my head. Management seemed ill equipped to handle events such as this, however, improbable. Accidents happen and it is good to know that the facility you have entrusted your safety with, is capable of taking care of you should you have an accident.

I wanted to continue on with the tour for my son's experience and hadn't realized the scope of my injuries until later. Doobie was very kind and obviously rattled by the experience. He refused to let our son be by himself and was mindful of the horses and whether we should continue on.

The gentleman who had put the saddle on my horse arrived with a replacement horse. He explained that sometimes the horses will hold their breath while being saddled so that it isn't too tight. Once they let their breath out, the saddle is loose and more comfortable for the horse.

All this is fine but I was then blamed for falling off my own horse. I was told that I should've had pressure in the stirrups to prevent the saddle from slipping off the horse. What?!! Really? In all my years of riding, I have never had to apply continuous pressure to the stirrups so my saddle wouldn't slip off the back of the horse onto its side.

My one big complaint is that not one person from management has ever called to inquire about the tour or if I was alright.

I would highly recommend you wear a helmut. It may not look cool but it could save you a head injury.

6  Thank SweetlifeOKC
Reviewed July 18, 2013

Had a great time with my wife, spent the whole day having great adventures, also having a great chicken dinner at the end of the night. Ps. Rusty the tour guide did a amazing job!

1  Thank Rickyandlaura
Reviewed July 16, 2013

We had an extra day in Phoenix and wanted to do some horseback riding and experience a taste of the Wild West. So glad we did,because this was the highlight of our trip. After meeting at the steak house, we were guided to Canyon Creek Ranch(never would have found it without a guide). Rusty was our awesome guide. He treated us like old friends and was extra patient with my 11 year old son who had never ridden a horse. The information about the desert,cactus,indians,snakes,wildlife and so much more was invaluable. We played games as a family, lassoed, shot guns, and even bellied up to a bar for a cold beer. It was just a great time for everyone. I can't thank Rusty enough for the great time. I highly recommend this trip.

2  Thank Kim H
See more reviews
Reviewed July 16, 2013

Just wanted to submit my experience at Canyon Creek Ranch. My family and friends went for a great afternoon to experience the outback of Arizona. We had a great time from the moment we parked. From hitting golf balls in the parking lot to axe throwing it was a blast. Our guides on the trail ride were Chris and Kris. They were so much fun and had us in stitches the whole ride. The horses were very well behaved and great to ride. We then went in to the western town and got to experience what it used to be like. From the saloon to the jail to the hotel. We did archery (sorry for losing your arrow, superhero I am not), target practice, roping, axe throwing (I will never turn my back on my wife, she is deadly accurate with an axe), and finished with horseshoes. The lunch was phenomal and the chili could definitely win an award. A big thanks to the whole crew, you made our trip. I even found a horseshoe putter in the gift shop. "FORE" I would highly reccomend this experience for anybody young or old.