“Very Homey”

Golden Greek
Ranked #607 of 3,188 Restaurants in Phoenix
Cuisines: Greek, Italian
Reviewed July 18, 2012

I ate at this place for many years. I simply LOVE IT. It is a family owned and operated. The atmosphere is really casual; it makes you feel like you are in a dive in Greece

1  Thank Arizonan911

Reviewed June 5, 2012 via mobile

This is real Greek food. If you are used to a Greek food chain this may throw you. The food is as authentic as it comes. From the home made pita bread to the baclava the meal is plentiful and delicious. Sure, the atmosphere is not like all the big chains but this is what gives it character.

Our hosts was excellent and many other guests there are return customers. It was nice that when you are there ou feel like you can talk to others around you if you want.

We will come back

1  Thank Lightning077
Reviewed September 27, 2011

Sorry this dried out soggy food is not Greek food, it tasted like old heated up left overs...moussaka I don't think so, dolmaties not good gyro soooo dried out like shoe leather...sorry guys....

Reviewed September 12, 2010

This is probably the best Greek food I have had outside of Greece. The restaurant is in an old strip mall on 35th Ave, north of Glendale, there are about 12 tables in a space about the size of my living room and only one server, but she is very efficient and friendly. Don’t go there if you’re in a hurry, service would be considered slow by American standards, but we wanted to sit and visit with our friends, so we welcomed the well-timed pauses between our orders.

Everything we had was absolutely delicious and portions are huge, almost everybody was leaving the restaurant with “to go” boxes and prices are so reasonable you almost feel guilty. If you don’t have any Greek friends that would invite you over for a meal, this is the next best thing

1  Thank Ron_Phoenix
Reviewed June 25, 2009

I have been eating at the Golden Greek for 15 years. It's consistantly the best Greek food in Phoenix. I have tried most of the others and I always come back to Glendale.
The Golden Greek is a small family run restaurant and only has about 12 tables. The place is unimpressive. But there is much more there than meets the eye. The moment you walk in and take in the aroma, you will stay. All the meals are made to order and you will wait for your dinner. You won't be sorry.
The best meals are the Dolmades, Moussaka, Athenian Chicken and the Brazed
Lamb. Really, its all good though. The service can be sketchy (not mean, just slow) as Phil (the owner) is often waiting tables and preparing the meal as well. They have daily specials but if you want them, arrive before 5:00 p.m.
I grew up in Chicago and was in the Greek town restaurants every week. These include Satorini's, Roditys, Parthenon etc.... I would much rather eat at The Golden Greek than any one of them. OOOPA!

1  Thank opus603