New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #1,630 of 2,917 Restaurants in Phoenix
Cuisines: Indian
Neighborhood: Ahwatukee Foothills
Phoenix, Arizona
“Phenomenal Food - A Treat For Your Pallet”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

My wife and I had been talking about going to this restaurant for a while and decided to go early as we normally have our dinners around 3pm or so and they are closed between their lunch and dinner service.

My better half decided to try the buffet they offered because she did not know what she would or would not like as she's had Indian food once before. I decided to order the Chicken Makhni with the request of making it spicy - and it was. The dish also came with a seasoned rice that had a series spices - the flavor was fabulous.

Prior to having the main course two types of Naan bread were served (Garlic and plain) and served with two different types of spreads/sauces (mint and mango). There was also a bread that resembled a fried tortilla folded with what we thought was fennel seed in it, which was pleasant.

The food had a balanced blend of spices that were appealing and the Chicken Mahkni was spicy but not so much that the flavor was not enjoyed.

The owners are involved with the cooking, preparing and presentation and it could be seen there was an overt attempt to ensure quality. We were later informed the restaurant has been open for 16 years, which in the restaurant industry serves as a testament to the quality of food and liking by the public. One thing for certain, we will be going back.

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars
    • 5 of 5 stars
7 Thank JDSoui

Chandler, Arizona
“Indian Food on Thanksgiving”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

Unlike most restaurants, Star of India has been open on Thanksgiving (in recent years at least) for those of us who are not turkey eaters. The food has always been excellent, I like the convenient location and decor, and you certainly don't have to wait for a table on Thanksgiving. But if you are expecting friendly service with a smile you really should go somewhere else. I have been there at least twice on Thanksgiving and clearly remember that both times our waiter was not thankful to be there at all. But did I mention the food was something to be thankful for?

• Visited November 2012
Phoenix, Arizona, United States
“This place made me like Indian food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

I was never a fan of Indian food until I ate here. The garlic naan, chicken korma, keema mater, tandoori chicken and chicken tikka masala are fabulous. The only downside is that Indian food (including the vegan/vegetarian options) are rich and heavy because of all the cream as well as butter used, not to mention the lamb. I would eat here more often but my liver objects to high-fat meals. This restaurant offers a wide variety of meat and vegetarian options. The best bet is to eat lunch here because the dinner prices are a little steep. If you're in a hurry, its best to call in your order ahead of time because the food is cooked to order. The owners are a lovely couple with the most adorable little girl.

• Visited January 2013
San Diego, California
“Great food but bad at honoring deals! Beware Entertainmnet.com coupon holders.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

Visited this Indian restaurant on our recent trip to Phoenix. We had to wait for about 5 minutes, at 9 pm to get a seat and it took eons for them to take our order, as they were more happy patronizing the local frequent visitors than someone new. And finally after the ordering we had to wait indefinitely to be served. After the meal when we were billed I showed the owner an authentic "Entertainment.com" coupon from the book we had purchased, for a buy one get one free entree, but the owner refused to honor it with a "no coupons tonight" and did not even bother looking at the coupon. I knew this was coming as he already a coupon to the guy at the table across us. I have reported this to Entertainment.com and am waiting to hear back from them. It is sad that restaurants such as these enroll in such programs but refuse to honor them.This is the typical complacency one sees when there is no competition around.The only saving grace was the good food which I guess is why these guys stay in business.

• Visited February 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
“Only Indian Restaurant in Ahwatukee”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

If you are looking for fabulous Indian food, this is not the place. However, if you're really craving some chicken tikka masala and don't want to leave Ahwatukee, this restaurant will do the trick. I usually go here when my daughter is begging for Indian, and I don't feel like driving 20 minutes to The Dhaba, which is more expensive but much better. I don't recommend the chicken pakora--it's usually made with skimpy, dry strips of leftover tandoor-style breast meat.
The service here is your typical semi-stiff, business-like Indian waiter, although the owner, if he's around, will thank you profusely and invite you to return soon.
There are better places just a bit farther afield in Chandler and Tempe, but, as I said, if you are in the neighborhood and suddenly feel like having Indian, Star of India is a safe bet.

Visited February 2013