“Fun evening”
Review of Quiessence

Quiessence
Reserve with OpenTable
Quiessence is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #233 of 3,176 Restaurants in Phoenix
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: 32nd Street & Southern Avenue
Description: The flavors of Arizona terroir will shine through our dishes prepared with a contemporary spin on traditional and classic culinary techniques. Sourcing from the surrounding fields and local farms, Quiessence will utilize ingredients from the neighborhood. The chef only has to walk down the street to admire Vineyard Road lambs which will be prepared in a variety of ways. In addition to the produce Maya grows at The Farm, our sister restaurant The House will also be providing vegetables and herbs from their Secret Garden. The chef and his team will create a truly unique "garden to table" experience. The local ingredients allow us to enhance the natural flavors without complicating the dishes. Don't be surprised if your server asks you to take a walk through the garden to cut herbs or edible flowers for one of your upcoming courses. Quiessence will offer an A la Cart Menu, a Family Feast Tasting Menu and our signature Brick Oven experience. The refined rustic menu will include house made breads, fromage, handcrafted pastas and local produce from The Farm at South Mountain and other Valley farms. The American and Arizonan wine list will be accompanied by an international reserve list designed to pair with the balance of the cuisine. With that in mind the team will still prioritize all Arizona Regional Products which includes our Arizona Wine Country.
Reviewed January 30, 2013

Quiessence is a unique restaurant located in an old farm house. We did the tasting menu and although the food was very tasty - we felt it was overpriced. We are aware that farm fresh is not cheap - however my husband and I have done tasting menus at other restaurants and this was not our favourite. Service was okay but not over the top. Would I return - probably not. Would I recommend it others - not likely. I would be more inclined to recommend some other great restaurants in the Phoenix area.

2  Thank May53Lethbridge

Reviewed January 23, 2013

Really cool location and great setting. Farm to table concept which is very popular right now and appealing to me hence my visit to this beautiful farmhouse in the outskiirts of Phoenix. I did the tasting menu with the wine pairing and it was overall nice. Innovative fare and creative and aggressive techniques which I really dig. The miss was the main "meat" course which was inedible chicken....horrible. Also not up to par was the wine pairings. Several of the wines made zero sense and should not have been on the same table as this great food. I even asked the server if they had upgraded wine pairings and I was put in my place by an abrupt NO. OK...sorry but I feel you should have the appropriate wines paired with the proper food and this was not the case this time around. Overall nice....but I feel the Zagat 28 rating for food is a little aggressive.

1  Thank tferraro
Reviewed January 11, 2013

I wasn't able to make an addendum to my previous review...at that time I rated the restaurant poorly, not for settings or food, but because I never received a cashmere wrap I had left at the restaurant over 2 months ago. A week ago I received a very nice and apologetic phone call from the restaurant manager and a week later, my wrap!! So now, I can say I was very pleased not only with the food and settings (which I was at that time), but now with the staff. Quiessence is a great little farmhouse with cozy and romantic settings and a delicious tasting menu and wait staff who take their job very seriously. Thank-you!

Reviewed January 10, 2013

Ill start with the downside, fresh, local, high quality food is not cheap, knowing that if you are willing to spend a little more for your food experience you will enjoy this place! I recommend the tasting menu to 'run through the garden' and enjoy trying everything available for the day. My wife is pregnant and vegetarian, which upon initial inspection of the menu would prove to be a problem, but upon notifying our waiter he said it was no problem and he would talk to the chef. After a few minutes he returned with a custom vegetarian tasting menu for her. The food was among the best I ever tasted, with some really neat combinations (who puts cherries in southern style greens, or in a soup? Smoked fish on a potato salad?). Dessert was amazing too, squash ice cream and vegetarian winter squash gummy things! A little nod to my wife for her birthday in chocolate sauce was a nice touch as well. The drive in past the pecan trees was romantic, but I will said the road is a little tough with the speed bumps they put in. All in all a fabulous experience and I highly recommend it!

Reviewed January 3, 2013

My wife and I had our NYE dinner at Quiessence. We had moderate expectations going into the dinner but were completely surprised by the high quality of the meal. Coming from SF where there is an abundance of great restaurants, Quiessence could easily hold its own among many of the top restaurants in SF. For our dinner we chose the 4 course prix fix. I had a delicious roasted beet salad, then a scrumptous lobster raviolo, followed by a waygu beef filet and then a tasty Saffron Pomegranate Custard.

While the service was good, it did not match the quality of the food. I think the service could be up leveled just a bit. The wine menu was good but not great. I did a wine pairing with my meal with most of the wines being pretty good but not blown away by the choices.

The restaurant itself is located on a farm in the outskirts of Phoenix. Kind of a strange area but the location itself is charming. You drive down a tree lined dirt road with string lights, up to the restaurant - which looks like someone's cottage. They have several different rooms, including an outside area for eating. We had a lovely table situated right by the fireplace - very nice since it was cold outside.

Overall, a great meal.