“Beware! Food Poisoning Alert!”
Review of Rubio's

Rubio's
Ranked #628 of 3,085 Restaurants in Phoenix
Cuisines: Mexican, Seafood, Healthy
Neighborhood: Paradise Valley
Neighborhood: Paradise Valley
Ottawa, Canada
“Beware! Food Poisoning Alert!”
Reviewed March 30, 2012

My friend and I ate here on Monday for fish tacos and have been brutally ill ever since. I had to fly home to Canada on Wednesday and was ill all through the flight....my friend was so ill that she missed her flight. Its been 4 days and I still can't eat more than toast to think twice before eating here.

• Visited March 2012
3 Thank wam372

Windsor, California
“Okay... but probably won't repeat”
Reviewed February 19, 2012

Apparently, we arrived just at the restaurant was opening for lunch. Staff didn't seem to be ready quite yet but...here we were! My chicken tostada sandwich was pretty dry, and difficult to eat because the chicken had been diced before putting it on the bun. A little strange?! The rest of our group didn't complain about their meal, but neither did they rave about it.

Visited February 2012
1 Thank katyscat
Salem, Oregon
“Best Fish Tacos”
Reviewed February 5, 2012

We'd heard they were the best, and I do believe they are. Served on a corn tortilla with crispy slaw and crunchy fish, these are really good. Also had the Veggie Burrito (spicy but nice) and the Balsamic and Roasted Veggie salad (also good). Now I crave them. Could eat them every day. Go Tuesday for the lowest price, but they also gave coupons for buy one get one free.

• Visited February 2012
“Delicious fresh fish taco's--go on Tuesday night for the $1.50 special”
Reviewed December 31, 2011

Note: Rubio's is a chain. According to their company website, Ralph Rubio introduced fish tacos to the USA in 1983. There are several locations in the Phoenix area but only the E Bell Road restaurant seems to have a TripAdvisor entry. This review is for the location at 4043 E. Indian School Road, Phoenix AZ 85018.

When visiting Phoenix, we always enjoy Mexican food. Our relatives suggested that we try Rubio's for their $1.50 Tuesday evening fish taco special. (Price is as of December 2011.) This is about half of the regular price. The tacos were simply fantastic! You can choose either soft corn or flour tortillas. The fish is battered and cooked to perfection, then served beautifully with cabbage, a special white sauce, and a lime garnish. And you can add your choice of home-made salsas from the salsa bar too--my favorite was the mild which had wonderful full tomato and spice flavor and just the right amount of heat for me.

The tacos were prepared to order, always a good sign, and they were delivered hot and fresh to our table in just a couple of minutes. We also ordered some tortilla chips while waiting for our tacos and those were perfectly made too.

We initially ordered 2 tacos apiece. The portions were generous, but the tacos were so good (and the price so reasonable) that we couldn't help but go back and order another one.

The rest of the menu looked to be equally appetizing, and all of the other diners were clearly enjoying their meals. We're already planning our menu for our next visit to Phoenix and it will include Rubios on a Tuesday for fish tacos AND again on Friday or Saturday to try some of the other tempting offerings.

In my detailed ratings, I'm including only 3 stars for atmosphere. That isn't meant to be a criticism. The restaurant atmosphere is fairly typical for a fast food chain and in fact I would rate Rubio's higher than average within this category. The restaurant was very clean and the staff were very helpful and pleasant.

• Visited December 2011
Camrose, Canada
“Good food”
Reviewed December 12, 2011

We are from Canada & have never heard of this mexican grill. The food was fresh & tasty. A real treat! It was a very busy place too.

Visited December 2011