“Best Mexican food ever”

Cuisines: Mexican
Neighborhood: South Mountain
Neighborhood: South Mountain
Reviewed December 5, 2013

I go back to Poncho's every time I go to Phoenix. The food is the most delicious Mexican food I have ever had. I wait 5-10 minutes to get in every time but once I'm in, the food is delivered quickly and with a smile. I love this place and I recommend it to everyone.

1  Thank John D
There are newer reviews for Poncho's Mexican Food

Reviewed July 12, 2013

After trying to take a work associate out to lunch at one of my favorite Mexican food spot not far away, which was close for their yearly vacation. We drove down the street to one of my wife's favorite places from when she was a teacher on South Phoenix. (Yes I am in trouble for going without her). Luckily our quest loves it spicy and hot. The salsa had just the right kick and we were off on a taste treat. One of us had the Carne Asada. He was pleased though it wasn't in the form he is use to. Our guest and I had the Pollo Fundido, which is a wonderfully flavored deep fried Chimichunga with a Jalapeno Cream Cheese on top. It was first rate. The chicken was very flavorful, the tortilla was crisp and the Fundido sauce was perfect and plentiful. We were all 3 satisfied. I was happily full and our guest was very impressed. He views food as I do. The best places aren't chains restaurants. They are family owned and run. They provide authentic meals and they leave you with tasty memories to share with others not fortunate enough to go. Visit for good food and go early to get a table. You will be happy! They even have a take away window.

Reviewed May 27, 2013

First time visitor to Ponchos. It was great. I read about it and it said Bill Clinton had eaten here. We were seated at the table he ate. Had his picture painted on wall along with a secret service agent!!! That was the original draw for us. As it turned out, the food was amazing. Chips and salsa were offered first. Hot and crispy. We ordered the Steak Picado and the big sampler platter. Both were excellent. Our favorite item on the sampler was the tamales. Best I ever had! The service was great. Our server was named Darlene. She very helpful. Our drinks were always refilled. She even had a drink for us, as we left. Bill brought us in, but the food will bring us back!

Reviewed February 1, 2013

I have eaten here many times over the years and always thought it was one of the better mexican restaurants in the valley. I ate there recently and was very dissappointed. The chips were covered in grease, the taco meat was awful, the place was not as clean as it used to be, and the service was not good at all. I wonder if the ownership has changed. I won't be going back any time soon.

Reviewed December 13, 2012

Upon arrival in Phoenix, we asked about 'must eat' restaurants. Poncho's was recommended. If you're looking for authentic Mexican cuisine and drinks, this is the place. Great chips & salsa, Margaritas and dinners - all at very reasonable prices. The place was packed, but we didn't have to wait long.

1  Thank gm1228