“A Nice Neighborhood Restaurant”
Review of Nello's Pizza

Cuisines: Pizza
Neighborhood: Ahwatukee Foothills
Neighborhood: Ahwatukee Foothills
Reviewed August 20, 2013

Every neighborhood needs the type of restaurant that you walk into weekly and feel at home. We have a couple of restaurants like that in Ahwatukee, Arizona, that grow on you the more you visit them. For many years I considered Nello’s Pizza just a place for good takeout pizza. It always seemed, however, that their dining room was busy late in the afternoon, so a number of weeks ago we went to find out why.

They have a great happy hour and a much more extensive menu than just pizza. They place daily specials on the chalk board and a pint of Guinness is at a great price prior to 6 p.m. I have become a fan of their salad with half sandwich deal. The Caesar salad is excellent and a very good value for the money. For the half sandwich I have been staying with the Italian beef with sautéed bell peppers, mozzarella and au jus. It is just excellent, although lately they changed the bread to something harder. I sure wish they would go back to the soft bread they used before.

The pizzas are all excellent, especially the Spinach Pie. Now if they really wanted to make me happy, they should try and duplicate the Godfather’s Taco Pizza, which I still think is incredible and no longer available in Arizona. Still, Nello’s is a great place to dine. The service is consistently good as is the food, and the atmosphere is pleasant, just like what a neighborhood restaurant should be!

Reviewed March 14, 2013

You can have any and all the "Chicahgo" or "Noo Yawk" ravers you want to listen to. I've had good to great pizza in both those cities, but none any better than at plain old Nello's. Their servers are alway attentive and helpful. They make their own sausage which is wonderful. I personally prefer the thin crust but their regular crust is also excellent and doesn't stuff you with bread like Chicago deep dish. You can actually taste the toppings and enjoy the subtle nuances of flavors.Their sauce is neither too sweet or too spicy but hits the perfect note in my book. Their salads are a great start, especially the spinach-bacon variety. Since great pizza is probably as controversial a topic as any in all of Foodom, I would highly recommend trying Nello's and am sure you will not be disappointed unless you're a hardened pizza bigot.

1  Thank BigW717
Reviewed March 12, 2013

We went to Nello's on a very busy Saturday night and experienced attentive service and enjoyed a wonderful "regular" crust pizza. Excellent sausage, not greasy, good sauce. They have a pretty good selection of tap beers are reasonable prizes...$7/mini-pitcher (two glasses.)
Worth a visit if in the area and need a pizza fix.

Reviewed March 6, 2013

We ate dinner here and the locals defnitely rave about this joint, but if you're a Chicago deep dish pizza lover, you're not going to be satisfied.
They were fairly busy when we got there, but we were seated right away. Our server seemed overwhelmed so service wasn't the best. A few of our requests were forgotten and we had to remind her more than once.
We ordered the deep dish pizza which wasn't much more than really thick crust pizza. Nothing like Chicago deep dish from Lou Malnati's or Giordano's so just be ready. The pizza had nice texture in your mouth, but overall, the pizza was bland.

1  Thank Tina S
Reviewed October 18, 2012

Nello's is a great place to go to relax and have a beer or glass of wine with a great appetizer or salad. One of my favorite things is to meet a few friends at Nello's (just a few blocks west of the I-10 freeway on the SW corner of Warner and 48th Street), sit outside on their patio (yes, they have a sprinkler system for warmer weather), and order a Smirnoff's Ice along with pizza bread w/cheese on top, which comes with a cup of hot pizza sauce. This appetizer is a great deal for $6.50 and very tasty. I also enjoy Nello's salads, particularly their arugula salmon cous cous salad which is just delicious. The chopped chicken gorgonzola salad is also great. I have gone to Nello's with many different people and they always end up raving about it, and soon they are regulars too! There are many special kinds of beer and wine, and you can choose to sit in the bar area or at a table. Go soon and enjoy!