“Must sit at the Sushi Bar”
Review of Shogun Restaurant

Shogun Restaurant
Ranked #509 of 3,154 Restaurants in Phoenix
Cuisines: Sushi, Asian, Japanese
Dining options: Lunch
Neighborhood: Paradise Valley
Reviewed June 17, 2013

We have been going for years to Shogun. The sushi is very good. There are a number of "off-menu" items. Just ask. The Sunshine roll is a favorite. Fresh tuna mixed with sriracha and mayo on top of a crab roll. Yumm! The suicidal spider is also good. Make sure to finish with the Vegas Roll. The little kids love the "PB&J Roll."
Warning: Your service declines significantly if you expect to be served sushi in the dining room. The servers have to cajole the sushi chefs into making their sushi orders. This last time it took forever to get our order. Just sit at the sushi bar if you can. The chef will serve you directly and quickly.
The wait staff is hit or miss here. I have seen servers switch tickets to get their sushi made earlier. The management is lacking.

BUT, the sushi is amazing.

1  Thank osodoro

Reviewed March 3, 2013

I am going to guess that the regulars are not reviewing to keep the crowds down! However, I must admit this is my favorite sushi place in the Tucson area. I would not say they have the "best" sushi, but definitely the best value and for me, atmosphere. I enjoy Shogun and they always give amazing portions. Each data they have special rolls that are 1/2 price. The saki bomb prices are outstanding. Give it a try, just not too often as I hate crowds (smile).

1  Thank Shane S
Reviewed December 30, 2012

My wife and I love sushi and Shogun is close to our home. The last time we wnet to Shogun, we sat at the sushi bar. We told the sushi chef what we wanted and he made a special sushi roll for us. Some of the best sushi we ever had.

Reviewed November 27, 2012

We went with friends, who are regulars and weren't disappointed. I haven't eaten a lot of sushi - mainly pre-made rolls, and this fresh stuff was just great. Tina, Wahu and Yellowtail were really, really good. Also , ask for the Big Johnson - tuna and eel roll in an interesting shape.....
It was my birthday and I had to chug a Quail egg shooter (half a wine glass) - Sake, soy sauce, chile sauce and sesame seeds - WHOA ! I even got a birthday candle in desert.
Over all, a really great night with great food !!

Reviewed December 16, 2011

My wife and I went here for dinner, we have been eating at the Shogun for at least ten years. We like the food and try to visit several times a year. They have a huge sushi and sashimi menu but we didn’t order from it because we have our favorites. My wife loves their vegetable tempura. I ordered the Shogun shrimp which is an udon noodle stir fry. The service was fast and everything was prepared as we requested it. We like the Shogun since it has a reasonable menu with a lot of choices. They remodeled and expanded a few years ago so they have a big bar area. We like the atmosphere too. On thing to be aware of is that they are closed between 2:30 and 5 pm as well as Sunday mornings. They are a solid five dots.