“Old World Grace and Charm, and Good Eats Too”
Review of La Fontanella - CLOSED

La Fontanella
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Mesa, Arizona
“Old World Grace and Charm, and Good Eats Too”
Reviewed February 21, 2014

We just happened to stop in this restaurant while driving by. We were greeted at the door by a nicely dressed gentleman and then seated promptly (apparently the dinner rush doesn't start until 7:00 PM here). The linens were spotless and crisp. There were waiters hovering around everywhere. Our order was taken by a very knowledgeable waiter. The dishes were delivered in good time. The portions were very generous and absolutely delicious. I had the chicken cacciatore while my wife and daughter both had the chicken parmigiana. They both wondered whether there was more cheese or meat on their plates, while I enjoyed the savory darker meat and mushrooms and other tasty tidbits. Three of us ate for less than $60, although we only purchased one beverage.

The neatest thing about this restaurant was the clientele. Not a single person there was less than tastefully dressed. Most of them looked like regulars out for a regular Saturday night festa italiania. Most of them were the over 60 crowd, but they did not look like imported snowbirds. I'm thinking this is a neighborhood joint for a very classy group of people. Although I did not feel unwelcome at all, I felt like I was intruding somewhat on friends and neighbors celebrating.

• Visited February 2014

Phoenix, Arizona
“Big Hits but also misses”
Reviewed February 13, 2014

I've been here several times now and La Fontanella from what I experienced is better than most tiny neighborhood Italian restaurants for instance the kind that serve pizza in addition to dinners. Usually the braised items and specials are good like osso buco or braised rabbit. I had the pounded chicken dish here before and it was dry and next to tasteless so I was afraid to try other chicken dishes here. I once really enjoyed the vegetable lasagna here and on my last visit ordered it again. I know I was wrong not to send it back but at the time I was dining with a group of people and thought maybe the taste of it didn't mix with the wine I was drinking. After a few more bites It just seemed oily and watery without a tasty seasoning or maybe the vegetables in it were old? Don't know it just tasted unpleasant, even my husband tasted it and he said it was not tasty. Someone else in our group had the bolognaise polenta lasagna and also thought that one had some sort of similar problem and she also only ate a few bites and let them take it away as I did with mine. At the end we all had gelato and thought the gelato was good. Like I said Hits and misses!

• Visited February 2014
albany ny
“Excellent”
Reviewed January 31, 2014

This is a wonderful Italian Restaurant. Everything was good-food, service, atmosphere, bread. The pasta was cooked perfect..not overdone. We will return here....

• Visited January 2014
Scottsdale, Arizona
“One of the best Italian restaurants in Phoenix”
Reviewed January 7, 2014

Coming from New York finding a good Italian restaurant is hard but La Fontanella definitely fits the bill. Since finding out about it through friends it has become our Italian restaurant of choice and have brought other friends and family to it too. We just celebrated New Years Eve with some friends that had never eaten there and they loved it too. The food is not the only thing that is great but we even have a favorite server named Eric that we always ask for too. Whether you are visiting or live in Phoenix, La Fontanella is a great treat.

• Visited December 2013
“Excellent Choices And Fiod”
Reviewed November 10, 2013 via mobile

We have been looking for a good Italian restaurant for quite a while and finally found one. From seafood to spaghetti the meals were delicious. The pastas were fresh and cooked to perfection. The prices were a bit high which makes it a great choice for a special occasion. We will come back again and again.