“Fantastic”

Comedor Guadalajara
Ranked #79 of 3,057 Restaurants in Phoenix
Cuisines: Mexican, Southwestern, Latin, Spanish
Good for: Dining on a budget, Families with children, Kids, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Brunch, Dinner, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Central City
“Fantastic”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2014 via mobile

Very busy, but greeted with a smile, we were seated given the menu and somebody came up right away asked for our drink order, we were given chips and salsa, and it was good, they took our order, and with an I'd say at least 10 minutes our food was on the table, hot and yummy, this restaurant is wonderful, great food and great service, will go back again, and again!!!

• Visited August 2014

Phoenix, Arizona
“Every other mexican food place pales in comparison....”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2014

I have to go here at least twice a month! Its not close to where I live but I make it a point to travel the thirty minutes (each way) to get my fix!

If you're coming here to order tacos and tostadas - don't waste your time! Why would you come to such an authentic place and order something they sell at taco bell?? Weird...

Try the "steak picado", "fried tripas", "menudo" or "taquitos carne asada"...you won't be sorry...you'll be full and likely have lunch for the next day....you're welcome...

Mango margaritas are fabulous, they handle very large parties VERY well....

This restaurant is the BEST!!!

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank Lobelle480
Phoenix, Arizona
“My favorite for over 30 years”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2014

I have been enjoying meals at the Comedor Guadalajara for over 30 years. In that time neither the service has failed, nor the food. Yes, the neighborhood is a bit scary, but there is security in the parking lot, which gives the prospective diner a better sense of safety. All in all, the "safety" issues are worth the feast you will get. My personal favorite is the Parillada, a grilled dish served tableside on a hot comal with a small flame underneath. It comes with Grilled onions, jalepenos, tomatoes, and cilantro, and a choice of three of four meats: Carnitas (pork), Carne Asada (beef), Tripas (tripe), or Higado (liver). There is also a seafood version of this mouthwatering and very satisfying dish. The sides of Spanish Rice, Refried beans, and your choice of either hand-made corn or flour torillas, make this meal complete. There is ample food to take home, and it is even better the next day, reheated. Top it off with one of the best Flans in town and you will be very happy. My husband and I have been dining here for our anniversary for the last 26 years. We will continue this tradition until we die or the place closes.

• Visited June 2014
2 Thank BluePhoenix53
“as real as it gets”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2014

now i know a lot of spanish places will say theyre authentic. then they serve the same combs and the same crap. not here. they are as real as they come brother. no hint of taco bell in here let me tell you. beautiful place. why arent you eating there now?

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank BDarrWelder
Peoria, Arizona
“Wonderful meal!!! How did I not know about this place?”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2014

I live in the Phoenix area and have for 30 years. I know my Mexican food having eaten at tons of local restaurants and working with some of the best home cooks. I consider myself a true foodie, so how this place slipped by me is a mystery. At the suggestion of a friend's coworkers, another couple, and my husband and I, drove to this restaurant on a Saturday at around 6. First, the neighborhood is perfectly safe. It's just an older part of downtown Phoenix. Just a few blocks up are some of the trendier restaurants in Phoenix. We did not have to wait for a table and were surprised by the vastness of this place. It is huge inside. Just about every table was filled with families enjoying their meals.
We started with the chips and salsa that were crisp, fresh, and addicting. The salsas were the authentic, thin, "pack a punch of heat" variety that I love. Next we ordered our very reasonably priced combos. I am always a little apprehensive about ordering chicken dishes in Mexican restaurants because many places what equates to boiled or canned chicken in their dishes. Not this place! The grilled chicken inside my burrito was grilled to perfection and had a wonderful flavor. Floating inside the burrito were jalapenos, onions and tomatoes in a very flavorful sauce. I opted for the red and green sauces smothered on top of my burrito. Both were delicious!
I judge Mexican restaurants by their beans. The refried beans did not disappoint. Pink, creamy and wonderful. Rice was the kind the home cooks at my former place of employment made. Very good and authentic!
My husband ordered the green chile beef burrito platter and the beef melted in your mouth. All of our burritos were served on fresh, homemade tortillas. For dessert, the flan was very creamy and delicious. Our friendly waiter made our first visit an enjoyable one.
My only regret is that we did not know about the restaurant's specialty, which are Parrilladas. Everyone was eating this wonderful looking feast of a combination of meats or seafood, onions, tomatoes and spices, served family style. Next time, that will be our choice.
I can't wait to go back to this well established gem!

• Visited May 2014