“Festive Atmosphere and Awesome”

Comedor Guadalajara
Ranked #81 of 3,054 Restaurants in Phoenix
Cuisines: Mexican, Southwestern, Latin, Spanish
Good for: Kids, Dining on a budget, Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Central City
Canada
“Festive Atmosphere and Awesome”
Reviewed February 24, 2013

Went on a Saturday night and had to wait about 1/2 hour as they don't take reservations. Lots of seating to wait inside and out so it wasn't too bad. Service is pretty fast paced and the restaurant is pretty much one large room which makes for a nice environment. We had entrees ranging from burritos to enchiladas to the fish and they were all super. Save room for dessert with churros and ice cream. Also might want to try the Coronarita which is a mini Corono held upside down in a slushy margarita glass so you drink the best of both worlds!

• Visited February 2013

Regina, Canada
“Great "Standard" Mexican Food”
Reviewed February 13, 2013

This is your basic family Mexican restaurant. Nothing fancy on the menu - tacos, enchiladas, carne asada but really really good at what they do. The fact that the place was full of locals eating was a clue. And very inexpensive too - $40 for dinner for two including one drink and tip.

I had the Carne Asada which was excellent. Came with beans and rice and a cheese enchilada. It was more than I could eat and I am big guy. My companion had the beef and potato tacos which she thoroughly enjoyed - said she could eat there regularly if we had a restaurant like that at home (which sadly we do not). She had the bread pudding for dessert which was also very very tasty.

Service was fast efficient and friendly.

Ambience is nothing to write home about, just a large open room but reasonable. Location a bit hard to get to - GPS helped - and there is a parking lot right next to the restaurant.

We would definitely return.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank SaskWolfhoun
Oahu, Hawaii
“worth seeking out”
Reviewed February 4, 2013

Being from Hawaii, we don't have many good Southwest or Mexican restaurants. So while we were in a shopping mall (Arizona Mills), we asked a young Latina sales clerk for a recommendation. Naturally, we got the list of "faux Mex" and touristy places you can find in any big city on the west coast. But we pressed on, and asked her where she and her family would go to eat real good, authentic Mexican food. She told us about this place in an industrial area, not too far from the airport, but well worth seeking out. We had our doubts, but it turned out to be the best dinner we had in our 5 day stay in the Phoenix/Scottsdale area. Great food, very reasonable prices and a polite, courteous staff. We had a meal, drinks and desert for about $40 for the both of us....just about what we were paying for drinks and appetizers anywhere else in Scottsdale or downtown Phoenix.

Next time I'm in the Phoenix area, I know where to go for great Mexican food!

1 Thank Lee808
Phoenix, Arizona
“Always packed for a reason!”
Reviewed January 30, 2013

We finally had to try this place because it was always packed when we drove by on our way to another favorite spot. This is REAL Mexican food. We went on a Friday and before we left made plans to return on Sunday evening. The hot sauce is HOT, the mild is pretty bland. This is a place to try new things and experiment. My whole table ordered different dishes and everyone was happy with their choice. Don't let the neighborhood fool you, this is a nice family place to go if there are 2 of you or 20. The place is huge inside! Prices are very reasonable and we will be back over and over. You can call ahead and be put on the waiting list for a table too.

Dallas, TX
“Awesome-Great Mexican Food”
Reviewed January 25, 2013

My wife and I live in Dallas and we love really authentic Mexican food. We found Comedor Guadalajara on Trip Advisor. We had to try it.
I was expecting a lot based on the reviews. It was even better than I expected. I can't think of a Mexican restaurant in Dallas that I like as much. We enjoyed the friendly service and the food was incredibly good.
We had the happy hour cheese crisps and shrimp cocktail. The tortilla for the cheese crisps was thin and crispy. There were different cheeses and small tomato pieces and jalapeños.
My wife had a Chile Relleno and Chicken Enchilada. I had the Carne Asada Tampequena. The tortilla that came with my dinner told me in part why the cheese crisp was so good.
We will come back to Comedor Guadalajara each time we visit Phoenix.