“Sanora dogs!!!”
Review of Nogales Hot Dogs

Nogales Hot Dogs
Ranked #1,014 of 3,300 Restaurants in Phoenix
Reviewed February 15, 2016 via mobile

In Nogales we trust. I would NEVER have put mayo and beans on a hot dog, but it was delicious!!! This place was a cart in a parking lot, but we drove 45 minutes to get there. Even all the little ones with us had a good time. The only let down was no diet beverage options we're available. We will be back again.

1  Thank Elizabeth N

Reviewed November 15, 2015 via mobile

First off, Nogales Hot Dogs isn't really a restaurant, just a food truck and tent with tables. They set up every night around dusk and pack up at 2am. The menu consists of Sonoran-style hot dogs, chips and bottled Mexican soft drinks. Although one can find Sonora dogs all over the valley, Nogales Hot Dogs enjoys a deserved reputation as one of the standouts.

If you've never experienced a Sonoran hot dog, let me explain... Like its northern cousin from Chicago, the Sonoran version is a localized embellishment of the lowly ballpark weenie on a bun. This uniquely borderland presentation consists of a bacon-wrapped hot dog, a smear of mayo, some pinto beans, diced tomato & onion, and a sprinkling of cotija cheese. (Cotija is a crumbly salty somewhat pungent skim milk cheese, sort of a Mexican grated Parmesan) Each dog is assembled upon order so you may omit any item as desired. If you really want to load up your hot dog, there's also a condiment bar with chiles, mushrooms, several salsas, cilantro, and more cheese. Personally I'm partial to the mushrooms and salsa verde... Sodas are of the bottled Mexican variety (including Coca Cola products) which, as they originate from Mexico, are all made with cane sugar rather than high fructose corn syrup as are American sodas. Soda aficionados are apparently picky about such things and insist on the superiority of the "real sugar" versions. Patrons are welcome to dine "al fresco" at the tables (trust me, it only SOUNDS fancy) or take their order to go. Service is efficient but friendly, and they accept both cash and all major cards.

If you overspent at the bar but need to satisfy those late-night munchies, or you can't stand the thought of another visit to Denny's, or you just want to try a tasty twist on the humble hot dog, give this place a try.

Reviewed June 30, 2014

If one likes hot dogs, this place IS NOT TO BE MISSED!!! Any review is inadequate. The buns are blissful, toppings great, price amazing, dogs yummy, and owner/proprietor delightful. I didn't know of this place's existence for years.

After finding out about it and trying their dogs, at least once weekly, I told everyone I knew.

He's only there at 6 p.m. at night until 10 or 11 p.m. Look for the canopy and set-up in the parking lot of the establishment (which changes from time to time) at that corner.

You'll go...and go back...and return again!!

Reviewed April 24, 2014 via mobile

Went to this hotdog stand tonight. It opens about 7 p.m. is clean, quaint, comfortable and nicely lit up with outdoor furniture seating. The hotdogs were unbelievable! The bolillo (not sure the exact name) are Mexican hot dog buns and are cloud like. I loved them and am going to try to find a bakery that sells them. If I find one I'll never buy an American hotdog bun again. The hotdog was wrapped in bacon and amazing. I ordered mine with everything then added more toppings. Next time I'll order extra sauce - either crema or mayo (not sure). 2 hot dogs and a bottled water were $7.00. A really special meal!