Holiday Inn Express and Suites Phoenix North - Scottsdale
Ranked #86 of 174 Hotels in Phoenix
Detroit
“Nice Hotel”
Reviewed March 30, 2014

Visited Phoenix last month with my family to visit my sister who lives in Scottsdale; very nice hotel that is hidden in Desert Ridge. The rooms are an average size, bed itself is comfortable, bathroom is very big and the shower head was great as well.

The front desk staff is very accommodating and polite. They all offer very great customer service. Breakfast attendant was excellent! She was always so nice and was there every morning we were there and we stayed for a week. Breakfast itself is average; the pancake machine was pretty nice.

Pool is very small and the heater was not placed in the pool therefore we choose to swim elsewhere during our entire stay.

Many restaurants and shopping walking distance, you will not go wrong with this hotel.

Also, being in the hospitality industry, one thing that did catch my attention that is very important to me is even though I saw management every day, we were never greeted or acknowledged by them. We own hotels in Michigan and every morning I walk into the breakfast area to acknowledge our guests and to ask how they are enjoying their stay. The management here is clearly by the front desk or in their office; we were never greeted by any manager during our entire week long stay. Communicating with your guest is very important!!

Would book again during our next trip to AZ!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
GMReply, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express and Suites Phoenix North - Scottsdale, responded to this review, April 1, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. I am delighted to hear that we were able to accommodate your needs during your stay with us. We value each and every guest of ours that stays with us, and I am sorry to hear that you were not greeted by management.
We look forward to welcoming you back again when you are next in Arizona.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed March 29, 2014

We booked a last minute spring break so I wasn't totally surprised when we didn't get our requested two-bed room, but rather a king/sofa bed combo. Not a huge deal. New hotel, nice lobby and breakfast area. Easy parking and close to anything you may need.
Housekeeping was minimal, not much more than making the beds and replacing towels. The woman who maintains the breakfast area should be employee of the year, I don't think she ever gets a day off and was always cheerful! Front desk was helpful and responsive, easy check in.
Biggest gripe, the pool is so cold that it is literally unswimmable. We couldn't go in past the first step, even the kids couldn't take it which was really frustrating. Also asked for a one hour extension on checkout and was told it would be $50. Seemed excessive when we'd been there almost a week.
Warning, don't expect your GPS to get you there, the address won't take you to the right place!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Express & Suites, Phoenix North Scottsdale. Whilst I am happy to hear that our hotel staff and the rooms met your needs, I am sorry to hear that you were unable to use our pool. We are looking into having our pool heated to accommodate guests requests.
We do offer late check-outs to members but unfortunately for non-members there is a charge.
We look forward to welcoming you back when you are next in the area.
Milwaukee
Reviewed March 27, 2014

After we were forced to look for new accommodations, just a few days before our week-long trip for spring training, we had run out of affordable (and comfortable) options and took a chance on Hotwire. Clicking with my eyes closed and praying for good luck, I was impressed when I found we were booked at this relatively new property. The price was incredible (About 60 percent off advertised BAR) and upon check-in, I was even more impressed. Clean, spacious lobby. Very friendly and helpful staff. The rooms were an average size. We had a king room, and space wasn't an issue as we were gone from 8am-10pm most days ... though it was a bit tight, without being uncomfortable. The freeway (101) was just outside our window but never once heard a sound, not even when a large accident occurred. Pool and spa area were nice. Though the better half mentioned it might need a cleaning by the end of our trip. The breakfast was good - eggs, bacon, muffins, toast, cereal ... the usual. Not fine dining, but if that's what you're expecting, you're staying in the wrong place. Plenty of (safe) parking. Easy access to freeway system. The mall across the way is spectacular, as are the bars and restaurants. Close to Walgreens and CVS; gas stations and grocery store as well as coffee shop (national and local). Only "gripe;" the clock radio is very cheap and not shielded. Keeping your phone anywhere near it will cause the most annoying buzz. Also, be aware... the hotel is VERY easy to get to, just don't rely on your GPS. Property is so new it doesn't show up on the maps yet. Great hotel. Very happy with it and we will be back next year.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
GMReply, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express and Suites Phoenix North - Scottsdale, responded to this review, March 28, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your 5 star review on our property. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and the rooms, location and staff met your expectations.

I apologize for the buzzing sound on the clock radio and I will make sure the issue is rectified.

We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel when you are next in the area.
colorado
Reviewed March 26, 2014

I stayed at this hotel March 5 through March 10, 2014. The hotel was kept very clean. The pool was dirty the first day, but the next day it was spotless. Be warned though, it is not heated.

The room was quiet, and I liked the fact that the refrigerator was like a mini large one -- it had a separate door for the freezer compartment. The breakfast was good, and the lady that took care of that worked very hard to keep things in stock.

The hotel is also within easy walking distance to the Desert Ridge Shopping Center. There is a grocery store there and many retail shops and restaurants there as well.

My only complaints were that there was smoking and partying at the pool area (a group of about 10 sat in the hot tub for about 5 hours and were on their cell phones inviting more people to join them). I did bring this up to the front desk, as it was apparent that at least some of these people were not guests at the hotel, but apparently the desk staff is unable to do anything without the ok from the manager. I also was a bit unhappy about one of the staff members smoking right outside of the automatic front doors.

Would I stay here again? Yes, it was a convenient place to stay for our spring training trip, and I'm sure they will get these other things worked out with time.

Room Tip: Get a top floor room away from the elevator and on the other side of the parking lot.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am sorry to hear that you experienced an inconvenience by our pool area. We are looking into having the pool heated to accommodate our guests needs.

I also apologize that one of our staff members was smoking close to the front doors. I will be make sure to ask them to smoke away from the lobby area.

I am delighted to hear that you were happy with your overall stay with us and found our location to be convenient to shops and restaurants.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Arizona
Reviewed March 26, 2014

You can see this property from the freeway but if you follow your GPS you will end up in a neighborhood and 200 yards away with no road to get to this HIE. This hotel sits at the end of a new road behind a shopping center.

Once you get to the hotel, it is bright and clean with one of the nicer lobbies of a HIE. As a Platinum Elite member, Erika was great when we checked in. I had five rooms and all the rooms were ready upon arrival. The rooms were clean and contained what you would expect with the HIE brand. The breakfast was just fine although fresh fruit would have been a nice touch.

I would stay here again and recommend this hotel if you are on the North side of Phoenix. Once you figure out how to get to the hotel, it is easy to come and go. There are numerous restaurants within walking distance of this hotel.

I must say that I was surprised that as a Platinum Elite member that I did not receive an upgraded room when the hotel was not near full occupancy. However, the room that I received was acceptable.

Room Tip: Would like to know myself??
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank im4duke
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review on our hotel. Please accept my apologies for not receiving an upgrade at check-in. We value our members and I can assure you this will not happen again as long as we have rooms available.

I am glad to hear that Erika took good care of you at check-in and that your overall stay with us was a comfortable one.

We look forward to having you stay with us again.
Montague
Reviewed March 24, 2014

I stayed one night on a business/family trip. The easy access off of the expressway was great. The staff were welcoming and made certain that I knew about the many features of the hotel. These include a great breakfast area, food available 24/7 with microwaves in the room and common eating area, refrigerator in room, ample desk space for work, free wi-fi. The bed was very comfortable. The room and bath were extremely clean. I felt very safe leaving the hotel at 3am. The parking lot and hotel entrance are monitored by staff. This might be important to the Mayo guests. I recommend this hotel to anyone who has business in the area.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Markey2
GMReply, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express and Suites Phoenix North - Scottsdale, responded to this review, March 27, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your wonderful review. I am delighted to hear that your overall stay at our hotel was a pleasant one.
We look forward to having you stay with us again in the near future.
Kingman, United States
Reviewed March 22, 2014

We stayed on March 7 for one night as we had an appt at Mayo Clinic which was just a few minutes away. We arrived around 9pm, the man that checked us in was very nice & got us checked in quickly. When he told us our room was just steps away though, I wasn't thrilled as I expected noise in the morning from the lobby and breakfast area. The room was very nice..clean & spacious, loved that you put your room key in a slot by the door and all of the lights come on & also that the bathroom light comes on when you open the door. The bed was comfy and there was a desk and table and chairs, fridge and microwave. Now, about the noise....there was NONE! This was the quietest hotel room we've ever stayed in. We would have never known we were right off the lobby/breakfast area. Oh, also, there is a cooler/freezer in the lobby with Stouffer's frozen dinners and other items in case at a very reasonable price so if you're hungry late at night, no need to run out and get fast food. Overall great place and we would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Jackie T
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. We are extremely delighted to hear that your overall stay and experience at our hotel met your needs. I am also glad to hear that you didn't experience any noise during your stay and you found the room to be comfortable.
We truly appreciate your wonderful review and thank you for choosing our hotel during your stay in the Phoenix North/Scottsdale area.
We look forward to welcoming you back again very soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Phoenix
Desert Ridge
Residence Inn Phoenix Desert View at Mayo Clinic
Courtyard Scottsdale North
#52 of 75 in Scottsdale
Desert Ridge
Marriott's Canyon Villas
Marriott's Canyon Villas
#12 of 174 in Phoenix

Been to Holiday Inn Express and Suites Phoenix North - Scottsdale? Share your experiences!