“Confusing”

Dining options: Late Night
Surprise, Arizona
“Confusing”
Reviewed June 11, 2014

I saw this place on Diners, Drive ins and Dives so I was excited to go. The building was extremely hot inside. No air conditioning in Phoenix, in a metal roofed building in June! No one around to greet us or let us know what to do once inside because there is a lot going on. A boxing ring, clothes store, ping pong, shuffle board and picnic tables with Laptops and papers strewn all over like they weren't even open. Had to walk around the entire place, which is quite big, before we found the outside area where food is ordered. Still no one even acknowledged we were there. While the decor was interesting the heat was unbearable, we almost left but I really wanted to try the Mac and cheese muffins. $5 for a bottle of beer was a bit much and the muffins took about 15 minutes to get. They were greasy on the outside and dry on the inside. Very disappointed.

• Visited June 2014
2 Thank Dana P

“Unique atmosphere with lots of fun for all!”
Reviewed May 15, 2014

The Duce has a very unique, vintage vibe, I loved just walking around and taking it all in. The drink menu had a ton of unique drinks, albeit kind of expensive ($11 + tip for a specialty drink). Not a place that I would frequent, but definitely for a special occasion! It was a lot of fun!

Visited May 2014
Chicago, IL
“Definitely a unique experience!”
Reviewed May 1, 2014

The Duce is a truly unique experience. Prior to visiting, I looked at the website and didn't really "get it," but once we walked inside it was pretty cool! Definitely family friendly. Plenty of games, activities and refreshments for the kids, but adults can have fun too! We heard parking can be difficult, but they do offer complimentary valet and we were able to find street parking just a block over. Drinks and food are a bit pricey, but the mixed drinks were made with fresh ingredients so I guess I understand the higher price. Place your food order early! We arrived early (around 6 pm) and it wasn't too busy, but I still waited in line for a good 20 minutes just to place my food order. Then it's another 30 minutes before your food is ready. I was surprised—given the price—about the food quality and small portions. The food was hit or miss. Some of the items we ordered were delicious, while a few were just so-so. Overall we had a good time and would visit again next time we travel to Phoenix.

• Visited April 2014
Phoenix, Arizona
“Unlike any bar you have ever been to!”
Reviewed March 31, 2014

We love going to The Duce. It is one of the most unique bars you will ever visit. We live near it and always take our friends and family here whenever they are in town. They have great old fashioned drinks and beers here. Their food is also pretty good, and one of these days I am going to try their ice cream. The only thing is that they are pretty expensive. The drinks average around $10 for the cocktails, but they will literally squeeze the juice for the drinks in front of you! They are absolutely delicious. Also, we always walk, but I believe they only have valet parking. There is plenty of parking throughout the downtown area in easy walking distance. Definitely stop in here if you find yourself in downtown Phoenix!

• Visited September 2013
phoenix
“Smelly, Dirty, Expensive......”
Reviewed March 21, 2014

I heard about The Duce from someone I play poker with who worked there. Thought my family would think it was fun. Very expensive for what you get. I ordered corned beef sliders. The corn beef was so chewy (not in a good way) but it was cut into little pieces. Three sliders for $10. My husband had tuna salad sliders (chef special) it was plain tuna. Three sliders $10. My granddaughter ordered the mac muffins. She loves mac and cheese and really didn't like these we all tried them and no one finished them. They got my other granddaughter's order wrong and it took so long to get her food we were all done and she had to take hers to go. It was fun before the food came to play the games with the kids. Our lunch for 5 of us with 3 lemonades and 2 waters, no extras was $69. It had a sewer smell and lots of flys that you have to keep waving away. If you want the same experience and much better food go up 7th street to The Yard. This was just not a nice experience. It's the first time I think I've only given one circle but I just couldn't find anything worth a 2nd circle.

• Visited March 2014