“Outstanding BLT con chiles”
Review of Otro Cafe

Otro Cafe
Ranked #86 of 3,188 Restaurants in Phoenix
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed September 19, 2013

The menu was eclectic including traditional upscale Mexican as well as breakfast all day and the best tortas I have had. My mom ordered a fish taco that was fine and I ordered the BLT with a zap of delicious chile. Normally, I never order sandwiches, but I did, and it was delicious. The bread, torta, was mouthwatering buttery and memorable. You can't go wrong at Otro.

Reviewed September 11, 2013

GF and I have been here twice in quick succession and were quite pleased both times. Not much to add about the food, the Inca salad is amazing, the tacos are quite good and, at happy hour prices, a $1.50 taco in a nice neighborhood place? can't beat it. The mole, I'm not going to take away a star because it's a taste thing. On the positive it was flavorful and clearly made in-house, on the negative, it was more bitter than I like, but the chicken underneath was perfect, nicely grilled, properly cooked....We read numerous complaints about the service but I was very impressed both times. Quick, efficient and friendly. The decor is a tad sterile for me, and I think if they were crowded it would be loud. On the other hand if you were looking for the kind of place where you could have a business meeting with a couple drinks, it would be perfect.

Reviewed September 7, 2013

We have been a huge fan of Gallo Blanco for a number of years, enjoying the food, ambience and friendly and attentive service. We were pleased to hear of the opening of their sister restaurant Otro. In the past couple of months we have dined at Otro a number of times. On each occasion our experience was very similar, great food, friendly but very inattentive service.
Food generally is very slow out of the kitchen (very different than Gallo Blanco, which is consistently prompt on food delivery) and the actual service is very hap hazard. We are always greeted quickly by the server and then it is hap hazard whether the server returns any time soon for drink / dinner order. Once dinner is served we have never been asked by the server if food is as expected (fortunately there has never been a problem). Last night the server after apologizing for slow kitchen service did ask if any additional drinks were desired, good start, but they never materialized. Dishes are very slow to be removed once completed and after a fair wait to see what comes next we normally have to flag down the server for the check and then again to ask to pay. We usually dine on Friday and not in any rush but also don’t like to feel neglected. Not surprising the crowds are less than when the restaurant first opened. I hope that is normal settling and not an effect of the patron’s response. We also note that there are many servers at Gallo Blanco that seem to stay for months, versus Otro where we have never seen the same server twice.
Mentioning our disappointment in a helpful and non-complaining manner to the person we believe is the manager was met with indifference.
We greatly enjoy the food, and will likely try Otro a time or two again, but without some improvement in service we will likely scratch from out list…sad.

Reviewed August 24, 2013

I stopped in for lunch on a Friday with a friend who had recommended the restaurant. I'm so glad he did. This is not the Americanized version of "Mexican" food, swimming in cheese--it's the real deal, as in Mexico City. My friend had the carne asada tacos and I tried the pollo asado, which was delicious. It was served with seasonal veggies and warm tortillas on the side, with a chile aioli that was spicy but not overpowering. The chicken was juicy and tender, with a wonderful smoky flavor. We also ordered the black beans, which were excellent. The chips were fresh and came with two kinds of salsa, a milder green version and a hotter red one. The server welcomed me on my first visit and was very helpful. I liked the contemporary casual setting, and really I just enjoyed the entire experience. I will be going back soon to try some different menu items. When I have friends visiting from out of town, I plan to bring them here.

Reviewed August 23, 2013

This place was recommended to me by a friend and it is new in my neighborhood. Went with my son for drinks and tacos made fresh while we watched. The menu has a revisionist flaire, harkening back to New American ingredients and the drinks are fabulous. Casual ambiance and decor, relaxed atmosphere, good service. Go when you have some time to spend, because we waited for a table and it is slow, handcrafted food worth the wait. Even though I had to send my unsatisfactory fish course back and reorder, I really liked the place and they handled the complaint gracefully.