New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Cuisines: Mexican, Latin, Southwestern
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout
Flagstaff, Arizona
“Excellent hole in the wall.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2013 via mobile

We went here based off of the reviews and we were not disapointed. When we first drove up we were wondering if we were in the right place but once we went in we knew we were in the correct place. I got tacos and my wife for a burrito and both were very very good. I love salsa and the salsa bar did not disapoint. The ambience of the place was something that you would get in Mexico. I would definitely go here again.

1 Thank Drew M

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Awesome Tacos”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2013

By far the best tacos I've found in Phoenix, and that's saying something. In Phoenix, you can't go a block without seeing a taqueria, but La Condesa brings authentic Mexican flavors and gourmet ingredients for super flavorful tacos. From the traditional al pastor to pacific shark tacos, definitely worth a stop.

Phoenix, Arizona
“One of Phoenix's Best Kept Secrets!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2013

I can't say enough good about this great little restaurant. Honestly.

I always eat out when the general public isn't out in force, and I love going to La Condesa in the middle of the afternoon on weekdays. Many good restaurants have the afternoon restaurant "limbo" period where they close until dinner, but it's great that this place doesn't.

Every single thing I've tried there is so good I wind up benchmarking most other Mexican-style restaurants against La Condesa. Starting with their tortilla chips and salsa, the chips are always super fresh, and their salsa bar is the best I've ever seen; all home/hand-made gourmet salsas, TWELVE in all, obviously all made fresh. Each one by itself is incredibly great, while I have about 5 favorites I always focus on.

I got addicted to their mole sauce. That's surprising for me because I'm not a big chocolate fan at all, and the first time I saw mole sauce, just the idea sickened me! Plus the first time I tried it, the person who made it really didn't know what they were doing -- but that all did a serious about-face once I tried La Condesa's. It's hard to not order their mole chicken, but if you want to try another truly interesting and great gourmet taco, burro, or bowl, try their Pork al Pastor, it'll blow you away too. I recently tried it burro style, and with some fresh tortilla chips and a half dozen cups of various salsas, it was almost too much to eat -- I chose to just have ice water with the meal, and the whole tab came to about $9-bucks. Even when you just want water they bring you a glass filled with ice and lime wedges, and a stopper-type liter sized bottle of ice cold water.

Service is always fantastic too. There isn't a whole lot of room in the place, maybe 15 tables and bar seating as well, which is why I also like going there when the crowds aren't around. They're open for breakfast on Saturday's and Sunday's, I haven't been there during those times but I'd bet my bottom dollar they make a killer Huevos Rancheros!

This is certainly a must visit restaurant if you haven't eaten there before -- I almost don't want to write such a great review because they do enough business as it is, and I don't want to ruin one of my favorite places to go! I'm picky, but not unrealistically so -- it's not often I'll write a 1-star review, and the same goes for 5-stars. This place is absolutely a solid FIVE STAR restaurant, hands down IMHO.

Port Angeles, Washington
“Awesome Chow!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2013

This place is a hidden gem! Don't let the exterior or surrounding neighborhood discourage you - this place is great! One of the best margaritas ever and the tacos were fabulous! Beans and rice served with our meal could not have been better. Can't wait to go back!!

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
New York, NY
“"Gourmet tacos" is exactly right. Classy and down-to-earth.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2013

Moved to Phoenix recently, and this is the place I eat at most often. When you first come here from the East coast as I did, you may realize that you've never had good Mexican food before. There are lots and lots of traditional taquerias here in Phoenix, and I like that stuff, but let's face it, the ingredients are very cheap, and the cooking technique tends to be crude. Here at Condesa there is a real artist making your tacos from the best ingredients, and it's still well priced. About twice as much as one of the downscale places, maybe, but so, so much better tasting and almost certainly more nutritious.

I was told before going that they had a salsa bar with many varieties, and I shrugged. Who cares about salsa? I do, now. This is another reason I now believe that I never had real Mexican food before. The variety and deliciousness of the salsas is reason enough to come here, even if the tacos and burros weren't poetically delicious and beautiful. Pecan salsa, tomatillo, sesame, salsa Mexicana, jicama, radish, 7 chiles. It's overwhelming, in the best possible way.

My favorite items: the Condesa Special burro with Arrachera steak and grilled vegetables. The Oaxacan black mole chicken, in taco or burro form. The Condesa Special taco with grilled shrimp and grilled veggies. Also the house margarita is unusually good, and often has delicious chunks of grapefruit in it.

They are opening another location in Tempe, I think? I would like to see locations all over this area. They are artists who do a good business, and I want them to prosper beyond their wildest dreams. Be prepared for a wait if you go at lunch on a weekday or dinner on a weekend. The secret is out.

• Visited May 2013