“"Gourmet tacos" is exactly right. Classy and down-to-earth.”
Review of La Condesa Gourmet Taco Shop - CLOSED

La Condesa Gourmet Taco Shop
Cuisines: Mexican
New York, NY
“"Gourmet tacos" is exactly right. Classy and down-to-earth.”
Reviewed May 23, 2013

Moved to Phoenix recently, and this is the place I eat at most often. When you first come here from the East coast as I did, you may realize that you've never had good Mexican food before. There are lots and lots of traditional taquerias here in Phoenix, and I like that stuff, but let's face it, the ingredients are very cheap, and the cooking technique tends to be crude. Here at Condesa there is a real artist making your tacos from the best ingredients, and it's still well priced. About twice as much as one of the downscale places, maybe, but so, so much better tasting and almost certainly more nutritious.

I was told before going that they had a salsa bar with many varieties, and I shrugged. Who cares about salsa? I do, now. This is another reason I now believe that I never had real Mexican food before. The variety and deliciousness of the salsas is reason enough to come here, even if the tacos and burros weren't poetically delicious and beautiful. Pecan salsa, tomatillo, sesame, salsa Mexicana, jicama, radish, 7 chiles. It's overwhelming, in the best possible way.

My favorite items: the Condesa Special burro with Arrachera steak and grilled vegetables. The Oaxacan black mole chicken, in taco or burro form. The Condesa Special taco with grilled shrimp and grilled veggies. Also the house margarita is unusually good, and often has delicious chunks of grapefruit in it.

They are opening another location in Tempe, I think? I would like to see locations all over this area. They are artists who do a good business, and I want them to prosper beyond their wildest dreams. Be prepared for a wait if you go at lunch on a weekday or dinner on a weekend. The secret is out.

• Visited May 2013

“Best salsas in Phoenix”
Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

I have lived in the valley for over a decade. First thing I will say is that the salsas here are great to dip your chips into. There are MANY. It is very refreshing. The service I had was good as well. I asked for recommendations. I was recommended the mole quesadilla. Quesadilla and mole are two dishes I usually am not a fan of; however, I took the plunge and it was WONDERFUL. The quesadilla was made with a corn tortilla that was HOME MADE with LOVE. Few restaurants, even thoe much more expensive, do this. I have to do this at home. So great to see a restaurant go to the extent they do prepping this excellence. A complaint might be that the neighborhood is rough. Don't judge a book by the cover as when you walk in the door you will see some beautiful art work on the walls and an excellent distinctive interior. The server was very warm, inviting, and friendly. This is one of my favorite spots nowadays. I have never been there on the weekend as I suspect it may be packed out. The restaurant is very small which is likely the reason they can offer the quality they do here. The menu was surprisingly large for the staff I saw working at lunch.

My only complaint is that this restaurant is excellent; however, it is far from home. I wish they were out in the East Valley. : )

• Visited May 2013
Dallas, Texas
“Amazing Tacos and Salas Bar”
Reviewed April 26, 2013

The food and drinks were amazing... we got there during happy hour and drinks are cheap! They have an amazing salsa bar with 10 - 15 different types of salsa. The food was flavorful, service was attentive and overall it was a great experience.

• Visited April 2013
“Also known as Tacos Fabulosos”
Reviewed April 11, 2013

When going back home to Phoenix, this is always the place we make time to visit. The cozy storefront restaurant has friendly service and delicious tacos. There really isn't any place to go if it's full -- the bar is tucked along the side and seats just a handful of customers. So get there early if you want to make sure you get a table and can enjoy the great food. The salsa bar is worth is the freshest and most diverse I've ever tasted.

We stopped by the next night to take out shrimp and shark tacos!

• Visited March 2013
New York City, New York
“You won't believe the Salsa Bar!!”
Reviewed February 12, 2013

Clean, homey, comfortable surroundings make the delicious food even more delectable. Perhaps the best tacos I have ever had anywhere. And the vegan options were truly vegan. I gotta say that I lived in the Phoenix area for many years, and I never found a Mexican restaurant this satisfying; visiting there and discovering this gem made me happy. I cannot praise this place enough, and I can't wait to go back!!

• Visited January 2013