“Not your typical Mexican restaurant”
Review of Barrio Cafe

Barrio Cafe
Ranked #12 of 3,080 Restaurants in Phoenix
Cuisines: Mexican, Southwestern, Latin
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Encanto
Provo, Utah, United States
“Not your typical Mexican restaurant”
Reviewed April 24, 2014

First off, you should know this place is pricey. Second, it's worth it. The chef is amazing. The menu is descriptive and enticing. It was hard to decide, even with pricey items. Our group of six had a pescado dish, mole enchiladas, chicken enchiladas with chorizo and the pobil tacos. Everything was fabulous. We didn't expect to pay as much as we did but the fine dining atmosphere with cloth tablecloths and napkins, the very attentive wait staff and the beautiful, plentiful, delicious food were worth the price.

Two downsides - we only got bread as an appetizer; other diners were getting chips and salsa. I think we preferred chips but the bread was good too. And it was so loud you could not have a conversation with anyone but who was right next to you. We left after our delicious meal and walked two blocks south to a wonderful ice cream place where we could have a conversation.

They do not take reservations - it is first come, first served. We arrived at 5:30 p.m. on a Wednesday and got one of the last few tables. It got busy after and there were a lot of people waiting so go early if you don't want to wait.

This place was recommended to us and we will recommend it to others. And make sure you see all the beautiful graffiti murals behind the restaurant (which is where you park). We took lots of pictures of the murals.!

New York City, New York
“Great meal for our large family dinner”
Reviewed April 15, 2014

Took family out to this restaurant as a celebration upon recommendation from hotel staff. Was concerned when I first saw area, but immediately relaxed inside the restaurant as it was lovely. The ten of us had a fantastic meal. We all loved the guacamole with the pomegranate garnish. Some had the pork in banana leaves, some had the awesome chicken mole, and a couple had the steak which was tender and wonderfully seasoned. The relatives were still talking about it the next day. Was not inexpensive, but we had checked the on-line menu and knew what we were getting into. Definitely upscale, but well worth the price.

Phoenix, AZ
“Quality needs a review”
Reviewed April 14, 2014

Myself and my companion had dinner at The Barrio Cafe on 4/13/14, and for the price I have had better. The house Margarita was flat, but high octane on the alcohol. I had the Chiles en Nogada which had pork that was too dry and hard, and a hot pepper sauce that was burning my mouth, which made the entree hard to enjoy. When we first arrived they had a singing duo that was playing a bit too loud. This location is far too small to accommodate a floor show. The menu is interesting and has loads of potential, but needs more quality control. Also my date did not want to use the bathrooms! So that is all I got for now!

1 Thank Curtis B
Reno,NV
“Not your typical Mexican food”
Reviewed April 7, 2014 via mobile

Not at all what the name leads you to believe. Nothing at all " barrio" about this cafe. Pork wrapped in banana leaves. $12.00 drinks. Upscale and hipster. Different, very expensive.

Visited March 2014
1 Thank Drdreno
Chicago, Illinois
“Not a DDD”
Reviewed April 4, 2014

OK, this isn't really a Drive-In, Diner, or Dive (which is how I heard about it). It was more upscale and expensive than I expected based on the premise of the TV show. But, it was very good. The food was excellent. I had their pork specialty of the house (I forget the name but it's cooked in a banana peel). It was tasty. The portion was a good size (I ate more than I should have!) The service was friendly and the place has a good vibe. I'd skip the tableside quac...it was bland. The place seems to fill up fast and parking out back is crowded. I would definitely eat here again.

Visited March 2014