“Entertaining & delicious”

Ranked #228 of 3,101 Restaurants in Phoenix
Cuisines: Greek
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: North Mountain
Description: An authentic.affordable.Greek neighborhood restaurant.Serving fresh Pita Sandwiches.seafood,salads,lamb,pasticio,wines,imported beers,full bar,plus many daily specials.Great place for special events,or a quick meal on the run.Family run for over 40 years.
Phoenix, Arizona, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Entertaining & delicious”
Reviewed February 6, 2012

Greektown is not too far from my house & we'd been meaning to head over. So, when my BF and I were wanting something 'different' than our norm, he suggested Greektown and off we went.

We pulled into a pretty deserted parking lot at 5:30 on a Tuesday and I was a little nervous. Past Yelpers had given 4 stars, so in we went. We were greeted by a man sitting at the bar - I am assuming the owner. There was only 1 other occupied booth and he offered us our choice of where to sit. We opted for a table and he handed us menus and said he'd be right back. Looks to me like he does a lot of the work himself & you can tell he's proud of his food. Just ask, he'll tell you, LOL... "go figure". (stop in and you'll laugh at my 'go figure' reference).

I'd decided on an appetizer of taramosalata. He said, "No". I said, please, and he again denied me. He detailed how he couldn't get the fresh fish eggs that he normally used, and the other available options weren't up to his standards, so he wouldn't be serving that this week. He went on to suggest the calamari and boasted it was the best in town. It did NOT disappoint. He said it wasn't fried, but it was crispy. It was tender and flavorful. Will order this again for sure.

On to dinner. I couldn't decide between 2 shrimp dishes, so he offered to give me 1/2 and 1/2 so that I could try them both. I wound up with Shrimp Grigori and Shrimp Trukolimano - both were fantastic. BF ordered Angus the Greek (mmmm steak). We had a cup of creamy, but light chicken soup with rice and lemon. It had a little kick of spice and I promptly declared that to be the soup I want next time I am sick. My shrimp was perfectly cooked and BF's steak was also cooked as ordered, bloody as hell. DELICIOUS.

Along the way, our host suggested beers by asking if we like light or dark or somewhere in between. He was attentive, but not annoying, and FUNNY. He's loud and jokes and makes you feel like you've been his customer for years. As we were leaving, he thanked us for coming and told us our orders were fun. Oh, I'll also say that the price seemed great. We each had 2 beers, we split the calamari and we got soup & salad included in the meals - steak and shrimp - all for $65!

My only regret is not ordering the baklava cheesecake. Next time I'll save room.

• Visited January 2012
1 Thank Angie L

Scottsdale, Arizona
“Good Food - Kooky Owner”
Reviewed October 31, 2011

We visited this restaurant for lunch. I must say, we were apprehensive when we found the parking lot nearly empty at 12:30 pm. Nevertheless, we ventured in to be greeted by the owner who was talking on his cell phone. I ordered the Greek Salad with gyro meat added, hubby and our friend had gyros, which were served with a side salad. Another friend ordered the moussaka. The owner, who waited on us, is quite a character but his banter wore thin after awhile when we were trying to talk with our friends. We were quite pleasantly surprised by the quality and freshness of the food. We shared the tzatziki appetizer served with fabulously warm pita bread. After lunch we were offered a complimentary ouzo, which we refused, but it was a nice gesture. We all agreed we would return to this restaurant.

• Visited October 2011
Orlando, Florida
“Best Host & Fab Greek Food”
Reviewed October 1, 2011

It looks like it is in an old Pizza Hut but once you walk in the decor goes cozy. The host, I wish I remembered his name was on his game all night long.
We started with the Mushrooms Tasoula as an appetizer and they were fantastic.
I had the Mousaka and Tommy had one of the specials which a Dover Sole George. They both came with soup and salad. The chicken noodle soup was delicious and the greek salad was great as well. We didn't have room for dessert but I would love to try some next time we are in Phoenix. We will be back!

• Visited October 2011
texas
“Great food, service, and atmosphere - Authentic Greek!”
Reviewed February 1, 2011

Was I ever suprised! I was hopeful that food would be good because I love Greek food, but it's not in the "best" neighborhood and looks like the building used to be a Pizza Hut. HOWEVER, upon entering the restaurant, we were pleasantly surprised by the tasteful decor (they've done a great job upgrading the inside), the friendly and efficient service, and the food...WOW! EXCELLENT! We'll be going back regularly!

• Visited February 2011
Phoenix
“OPA! Come In Join the Family”
Reviewed July 13, 2010

Greek Town is a family institution filling an ancient old Pizza Hut with those funny angled windows. It offers linen covered tables that are soon covered with wonderful food for lunch and dinner. The very spirited Owner (George) is likely to be serving you and if he suggests something - for goodness sakes say Yes!

For appetizers try the Greek Town calimari - it is lightly pan seared - never deep fried. A warm basket of pita arrives right away. The menu is complete, lamb, traditional favorites, seafood, golden rice, infused lemon flavorings, it is all there.

The specials are always good (I love the halibut).

If it isn't busy (lunch) and you are adventurous, ask what is good and ask them to "surprise you" - they will usually put a family style sampler plate dinner together that will showcase the best of whatever the kitchen has to offer that day.

In summer, finish the dinner with a coffee frappe or a slice of gooey baklava.

The prices are more than fair. There is a full bar.

Come with family or friends. Don't be in a hurry. Or come alone - and be instantly among some new family and friends!

Feel the Love! OPA!