“World-class service”
Review of Durant's

Durant's
Reserve with OpenTable
Durant's is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #9 of 3,080 Restaurants in Phoenix
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Bar scene, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Full Bar, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Encanto
Cross street: Virginia
“World-class service”
Reviewed June 7, 2013

It's a steakhouse. I'm a vegetarian. So, what's to like? Well, everything - they whipped up a delicious vegetable plate for me at dinner. There are plenty of salads to choose from. They have added a broiled veggie burger to their lunch menu. And their desserts... But, mainly I want to talk about the service. You'll feel like a guest at a 5-star hotel. Perfectly friendly with just the right dash of formality.

• Turkish first
Adelaide, Australia
“Durant's for delectable cuisine and first class (yet unpretentious) service”
Reviewed June 5, 2013

I chose Durant's as the location for a reunion with a family member. Though I'd anticipated this occasion for more than a decade, until recently, it was little more than a dream. I am not from Phoenix and was completely unfamiliar with area restaurants. I required a restaurant with superior service, exceptional cuisine, warm ambience and fine acoustics. Plus, I needed an early dinner reservation on a Sunday when most dining establishments in Phoenix are closed. After searching for the perfect location for one of the most monumental evenings of my life, I decided to trust the staff at Durant's.

The experience was seamless. I arrived early to a warm welcome and immediate seating. The romantic lighting, plush booths, tasteful art all served to set the celebratory mood. The waitress Michelle delivered faultless service with impeccable timing and sharp attention to our every need. The oysters were fleshy, with medium salt and mineral tones. The lobster was perfectly prepared, fresh and succulent. The steak was so tender and juicy, it dissolved in my mouth. The portions were generous. My only lament is that Durant's is not closer to my home. Now I have another reason to return to Phoenix.

• Visited June 2013
Fort Walton Beach, Florida
“Over Rated and Over Priced”
Reviewed June 4, 2013

Over rated overpriced. Friends took me to this Phoenix legend on a Saturday evening. While some folks may think that it is a nice touch to have to enter the restaurant through the kitchen, I found it to be inconvenient and unnecessary and it certainly did not add anything to my dining experience. The service was acceptable, but not what I would expect from a restaurant that has the reputation of Durant’s. The food was overpriced for the quality and quantity of the meal. The only part of the meal that I really enjoyed was the shrimp cocktail and the accompanying sauce. This restaurant advertises itself as the home of “Great Steaks”. I was unpleasantly surprised to see firsthand these “Great Steaks” as I walked through the kitchen twice. All of the steaks that I saw waiting to go on the grill were in vacuumed sealed plastic and not hand cut on site. I had the New York Strip steak for $40 plus, and it was not very tender and not very favorable. I tried one of our parties Rib Eye and found it to be the same. I can now say that I have been to Durant’s and I cannot recommend it as the quality does not live up to the price of the meal.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank Sail2fun
Scottsdale, Arizona
“~~A keeper!~~”
Reviewed May 26, 2013 via mobile

I love going to Durant's, as it is more of an "experience" than just a place for a good meal. If you know what you are doing, you walk in through the KITCHEN. That let's everyone know that you are in the know. So...even if you have never been to Durant's, but sure to walk in through the back.

The starter...to prepare your palate, is a few raw veggies over ice, served with their home made ranch dressing. Then comes the sourdough bread topped with an olive oil, garlic and artichoke tapenade. Delish!

We then enjoyed a dozen super-fresh oysters... My husband ordered the prime-rib, a house specialty, and was very disappointed when I ordered the crab cakes over aioli. Ha! Even he said I "out ordered" It is the next morning and I am already planning my return!

Visited May 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Microwaved rubber chicken”
Reviewed May 23, 2013

Chicken Marsala bounced "boing! boinnng!" when I tapped it on the plate- was awful and was very rubbery. It was obviously microwaved. The marsala sauce looked and tasted very off putting.

I recommend ordering what the "house" is famous for, which is steak- but if their non-famous dishes are prepared this way then I don't trust whatever else they make. Old restaurant that may have been famous because it was the only "fancy" place in the small city of Phoenix at one time. Survives in name only now. Old fashioned red velvet-ey type of atmosphere that make your 80 year old grandma feel like she's back in older times.

• Visited February 2013